Author Topic: CH47 Chinook  (Read 252956 times)

Offline Kevin Moran

• Rate Post
Re: CH47 Chinook
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2008, 00:35:57 »
Just 2cents. Think it is great that the Service is getting the Chinook back.  Had a couple of rides in it when in 2VP. My Dad actually flew the first one back from the the States when He was in 450 SQD.  (Not the one that crashed obviously...that was a shitty day..the second one).  He always said what a great helicopter it is.
You Can't Choose Your Battlefields. The Gods Do That For You.
But You Can Fly A Standard, Where A Standard Never Flew

Offline beenthere

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: August 22, 2008, 01:19:56 »
Kevin. I flew with your dad on 450 Sqn.
But not lately. If I could do it all over again I would  change one thing.

Offline Kevin Moran

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2008, 11:48:32 »
Beenthere, small world eh?  He is retired out in Comox.  Enjoying all that Island living.
You Can't Choose Your Battlefields. The Gods Do That For You.
But You Can Fly A Standard, Where A Standard Never Flew

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2008, 11:57:51 »
Hello Kevin. Good to see you are still kickin.

I'm glad to see the Chinook back. Great chopper.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2008, 21:15:24 »
Boeing Awarded US Army Contract for 191 CH-47F Chinook Helicopters

ST. LOUIS, Aug. 26, 2008 -- The Boeing Company [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a five-year U.S. Army contract valued at $4.3 billion for 181 CH-47F Chinooks and 10 additional Chinooks under Fiscal Year 2008 supplemental funding. There are options in the award for an additional 24 aircraft over the course of the contract.

"This multiyear award will yield a cost savings of more than $449 million for the U.S. Army and taxpayers," said Jack Dougherty, vice president, Boeing H-47 Programs. "This also builds security into our production schedule for the next five years, stabilizing the work force for Boeing and for our supplier partners in more than 45 states."

"The Army is committed to providing an outstanding CH-47F Chinook aircraft to our soldiers in the field," said Col. Newman Shufflebarger, Army project manager for Cargo Helicopters. "This multiyear award not only allows the Army to field this important aircraft at a substantial savings, but enabled the contractor to enter long-term agreements for specialty metals, to include titanium, which significantly reduced long-lead times for these critical materials. The Army was able to reduce the lead time associated with a new-build aircraft by six months."

Also from the U.S. Army, Lt. Col. Thomas H. Todd III, product manager for CH-47F, said, "This multiyear settlement is the result of the tireless efforts of government and Boeing representatives. It ensures that our soldiers will maintain a technological advantage over our adversaries when it comes to heavy-lift missions."

"A long-term contract commitment is good for the warfighter, the Army customer and U.S. business," said Ken Eland, chief engineer for Boeing Tandem Rotor Programs and capture team leader for the company's CH-47F multiyear pursuit. "This award enables Boeing and our Team Chinook partners to make capital investments to reduce lead times for parts and components, improve parts availability and provide for a more accurate delivery schedule, which will enable greater precision in fielding the Chinook to U.S. Army units."

Boeing Rotorcraft Systems has delivered 48 CH-47F helicopters to the U.S. Army to date and has fully trained and equipped two units, with a third unit scheduled to stand up in August. Since the aircraft received its combat-ready certification from the Army in 2007, the F-model has completed several thousand flight hours, including deployments to Liberia in support of U.S. President George Bush, and is currently undergoing its first deployment to Iraq.

As with its predecessors, the CH-47F continues to excel across the full spectrum of operational missions, including air assault, combat re-supply, humanitarian relief, search and rescue, and transport operations.

Built at the Boeing Rotorcraft Systems facility in Ridley Township, Pa., the CH-47F helicopter delivers greater mission-critical capability for the warfighter with a newly designed, improved airframe, a Rockwell Collins Common Avionics Architecture System (CAAS) cockpit, and a BAE-designed Digital Advanced Flight Control System (DAFCS).

The CAAS greatly improves aircrew situational awareness, and DAFCS provides dramatically improved flight-control capabilities through the entire flight envelope, significantly improved performance and safety in the harshest of environments.

CAAS also incorporates an advanced digital map display and a data transfer system that allows storing of preflight and mission data. Improved survivability features include the Common Missile Warning and Improved Countermeasure Dispenser systems.

Powered by two 4,733-horsepower Honeywell engines, the new CH-47F can reach speeds greater than 175 mph and transport more than 21,000 pounds. The CH-47F, with the Robertson Aviation Extended Range Fuel System, has a mission radius of more than 400 nautical miles.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/...80826a_nr.html

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: November 03, 2008, 17:54:03 »
According to this CBC report the first CF CH-47D and its Canadian crew has arrived in Kandahar.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2008, 20:11:38 »
The Canadian Air Force has confirmed that the first of six Chinook helicopters to be purchased from the United States are is now at the Kandahar Airfield base.

Can't even get good english from CBC.... cheez!

I believe the Chinook we got was delivered from.... some other place in Afghanistan
Chimo!

Offline Chapeski

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2008, 20:39:21 »
"The push to get battlefield helicopters into Kandahar was mired in defence bureaucracy for almost two years. An internal debate pitted the army, eager to reduce soldiers' exposure to deadly roadside bombs, against a frustrated air force that sought a versatile aircraft, useful in more places than just Afghanistan."

Correct me if I'm wrong, but these choppers are very useful in places other than Afghanistan. They are just a little more useful there right now, than say, sitting on a tarmac looking pretty, or doing fly-fishing trips to the middle of nowhere. Just saying. (Sarcasm very much intended, sorry to any pilot that thought I was knocking them too!)
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
-Winston Churchill
"Nine times of ten an army has been destroyed because its supply lines have been severed"
- Macarthur, August 1950 to the Joint Chiefs of Staff

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2008, 21:09:21 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but these choppers are very useful in places other than Afghanistan. They are just a little more useful there right now, than say, sitting on a tarmac looking pretty, or doing fly-fishing trips to the middle of nowhere. Just saying. (Sarcasm very much intended, sorry to any pilot that thought I was knocking them too!)

Ummm... where did the fly fishing thing come from Cheapeski
Chimo!

Offline WrenchBender

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2008, 22:45:58 »
The Duke and Duchess of York's Canoe trip in 1987 was supported by 447 (T) Sqn.

WrenchBender
Silly Pilot, Tricks are for kids

Offline Chapeski

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2008, 00:40:05 »

I was talking with a couple pilots back in March. I was joking with them while doing some kit exchange, made a joke about how the choppers could get you into some cool fishing spot. They could neither confirm nor deny this. Was just making a joke in jest. Seriously though, think of the fly in fishing a BN could do with a couple of Hooks though? Wouldn't it be great???
"All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."
-Winston Churchill
"Nine times of ten an army has been destroyed because its supply lines have been severed"

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2008, 11:47:42 »

Goose Bay Labrador ! ;)

Offline Chapeski

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2008, 18:52:05 »
I choose not to mention where I was talking to said pilots when this conversation took place for fear of incriminating the unit. I plead the 5th (even though we don't have it, i plead anyway!) I'm also secretly jealous of these outings as I haven't gone fishing in well over a year now.
-Winston Churchill

Offline beenthere

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2008, 21:00:19 »
Goose Bay Labrador ! ;)
I have a few old slides (remember when slides were the ultimate) from about 1970 that show a CH-113A sitting in a lake near Goose Bay while the crew were catching some fine trout. There are some great trout slides as well. It's the kind of fishing that no one would believe and without pictures it sounds like BS--but the pictures don't BS.
One day I'll dig them out and see if I can get them made into photos.
But not lately. If I could do it all over again I would  change one thing.

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2008, 21:28:56 »
ahhh.... fishing salmon at CFS Moisie on the Quebec North Shore.... no need for any darned helicopter
Chimo!

Offline maniac779

• Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: November 18, 2008, 20:06:29 »
Are they sending pipes to the Chinook out of BHS in YPG?

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #66 on: November 18, 2008, 22:13:47 »
Eventually- yes.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #67 on: November 19, 2008, 00:12:13 »
Are they sending pipes to the Chinook out of BHS in YPG?

Pipes have always been sent on Chinooks.  The last two C-model pilots were pipes.  You will see pipes going straight from BHS to a squadron and immediately to Ft.Rucker thereafter, then to Afghanistan.  Looks like tac hel is the place to be to get some operational experience while finally getting the chance to help out the troops.

G2G

Offline maniac779

• Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: November 19, 2008, 10:12:21 »
Pipes have always been sent on Chinooks.  The last two C-model pilots were pipes.  You will see pipes going straight from BHS to a squadron and immediately to Ft.Rucker thereafter, then to Afghanistan.  Looks like tac hel is the place to be to get some operational experience while finally getting the chance to help out the troops.

G2G

That's what I like to hear.

That is going to make selection easy.

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2009, 14:56:12 »
NY Guard Provides CH-47 Training To Canadian Aircrews
Wed, 28 Jan '09

Preparing For Deployment To Afghanistan
New York Army National Guard members offered hands-on CH-47 Chinook helicopter training to Canadian air force aircrews readying for deployment at a flight facility in Rochester, NY last week.

Aviation soldiers from the Guard's Company B, 3rd Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, who returned from a tour of duty in Afghanistan in April, used their Chinooks and the upstate New York snow to train the Canadians on Afghan flying conditions.

The snow was a stand-in for the ubiquitous Afghan dust, Army Capt. Eric Fritz, instructor pilot for the battalion, explained. Fritz put together a two-week training program to prepare the Canadians for an upcoming Afghan deployment.

Members of the Canadian air force's 408th and 430th Tactical Helicopter Squadrons will be operating Chinooks in theater. The Canadian aircraft already are 6,000 miles away in place in Afghanistan.

"Everybody jumped at the opportunity to provide the training and transmit Company B's experience and information to the Canadians," Army Col. Michael Bobeck, aviation officer, said. "It makes everybody operate safer and allows us to accomplish the mission."

The first week of training focused on classroom briefings, battlefield scenarios and daylight-flying operations, and the second week was spent perfecting night-flying skills. The training plan culminated with a simulated air assault. All training flights took place within 100 miles of the flight facility here.

Landing and taking off in the light snowfall provided the Canadians with the same experience they'll get coping with the ever-present dust in Afghanistan, Fritz said.

"The New York National Guard has been very accommodating, because it's all been last-minute for us," Canadian air force Capt. Martin LeFrancois, 430th Squadron, said. "Now that we have six Chinooks waiting for us in Afghanistan, the training program that they prepared for us will be really beneficial."

(Aero-News salutes Army Sgt. 1st Class Steven Petibone, with the New York National Guard.)

FMI: www.airforce.forces.ca/, www.dmna.state.ny.us/

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 12, 2009, 21:41:40 »
Puckchaser,
We could do like the Dutch & have em reconditioned...

While the new fighters would be nice.... the Chinooks are bread & butter tools for the land forces.  While the Airforce will consider the JSF as being their bread & butter...
Chimo!

Offline GDawg

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: February 12, 2009, 22:11:53 »
This all boils back to the argument that the Army and Navy should have their own air wings.

Shouldn't a small military pool resources and personnel rather than divide them up?

Offline geo

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: February 12, 2009, 22:20:56 »
GDawg... If the army wants the Chinooks, they should be able to decide on acquiring the necessary gear.  I don't think it should be a fight with the airforce over Chinooks VS JSFs
Chimo!

Offline GDawg

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: February 12, 2009, 22:45:33 »
GDawg... If the army wants the Chinooks, they should be able to decide on acquiring the necessary gear.  I don't think it should be a fight with the airforce over Chinooks VS JSFs

You're preaching to the choir, at the end of the day its the Canadian voter who decides what we do, and what equipment we get to do it.

aesop081

« Reply #74 on: February 12, 2009, 22:54:05 »
This all boils back to the argument that the Army and Navy should have their own air wings.

Not keeping up with CF budget issues are you ?The CF has "X" amount of money. Army air wing or not, that amount of money doesnt change. If the Army decided to buy Chinooks, what exactly do you think the Army can afford to give up in order to pay for it.

Regardless of who flies them, the money problem remains. Every element needs new equipment that will cost more that the money available. Something will have to give.