Author Topic: Recipes  (Read 162330 times)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Recipes
« Reply #250 on: February 15, 2018, 22:17:48 »
Holy necro post.

I'm looking for some German recipes and figure this place is a decent enough one to start. Yeah, I use google, but I figure this is more targeted.

Specifically:
-gulasch
-gulashcuppe
-knodel (obviously)
-rosti

A Koln based creamed style cabbage served as a side ala sauerkraut. I only had it once, somewhere downtown Koln and there was copious 200 ml Kolsch, so I can't exactly do things by memory.

I am kind of shocked that I have only seen one German-esque meal suggested in here. Where are all the Lahr and Baden guys? ;D

I reviewed the beer bread recipe I dropped here a while back. With the explosion of microbreweries in Canada, one can crank out loads of good breads! A good soda bread would be a damned fine addition to a gulaschsuppe, IMO.

When I get a hankering for a taste of Lahr and Baden, I sometimes have a look at http://a-schnitzel-and-a-glass-of-wine.blogspot.ca/.  While Janet's blog does get the saliva flowing and stirs memories of defending western civilization from the Soviet hordes (thirsty work that also needed frequent hearty meals), she sometimes includes recipes with the descriptions of her gastronomic adventures.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #251 on: February 15, 2018, 22:40:28 »
Holy necro post.

I'm looking for some German recipes and figure this place is a decent enough one to start. Yeah, I use google, but I figure this is more targeted.

Specifically:
-gulasch
-gulaschsuppe
-knodel (obviously)
-rosti

A Koln based creamed style cabbage served as a side ala sauerkraut. I only had it once, somewhere downtown Koln and there was copious 200 ml Kolsch, so I can't exactly do things by memory.

I am kind of shocked that I have only seen one German-esque meal suggested in here. Where are all the Lahr and Baden guys? ;D

. . .

FTFY

My German recipe book is 2,000 kilometers away from me right now but these are a few of my favourite websites.

https://germanfoods.org/recipes/

https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/

And in the original German:

https://www.chefkoch.de/rezeptsammlung/443473/DEUTSCHE-KUeCHE.html

https://www.essen-und-trinken.de/deutsche-kueche

(Use Google Translate if you need to)

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline pminogue

• Rate Post
« Reply #252 on: June 23, 2018, 10:19:16 »
My uncle served at CFB Lahr in the 1970s, out of CFB Trenton.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #253 on: July 10, 2018, 06:58:25 »
Quick bread made with melted ice cream of I guess any flavor.Gotta get the wife to cook it up,it certainly sounds easy enough.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/how-to-make-ice-cream-bread/

Online PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #254 on: September 03, 2018, 12:07:17 »
Just made these for breakfast.  Don't let the "skinny" website fool you, they don't taste low-cal at all!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/breakfast-pizza/

I found the dough fairly sticky and had to add more flour while I was kneading it.  We also cooked them longer (about 15 minutes) until the egg whites were set and the dough was slightly browned. 
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #255 on: September 03, 2018, 13:55:27 »
Just made these for breakfast.  Don't let the "skinny" website fool you, they don't taste low-cal at all!

https://www.skinnytaste.com/breakfast-pizza/

I found the dough fairly sticky and had to add more flour while I was kneading it.  We also cooked them longer (about 15 minutes) until the egg whites were set and the dough was slightly browned.

There is nothing wrong with "pizza for breakfast".  Over the years, as it became more acceptable as a morning food option, nutritionists have even suggested that it may be a more balanced meal than the typical North American breakfast of cold cereal and milk.  But alas, as we become more "foody", the essence of "pizza for breakfast" has been lost.  The recipe you suggest is interesting but, if I may, it's not fecking pizza.  Just because someone plops a few ingredients on top of some dough and bakes it, doesn't make it a pizza.  I'll acknowledge that the variety of toppings has expanded in the years since I first had a slice but, feck it, anything more than tomato sauce and cheese (ok, pepperoni, mushrooms, peppers and anchovies if feeling expansive) is being pretentious.  Pizza eaten in the home should be delivered - unless you have a wood-fired oven in the backyard.  If "breakfast specialty" pizza (with eggs) was a thing then pizzerias would be open at 7 AM.  No, I dispute you* calling this recipe a pizza.  If one wants (nay, needs) pizza in the morning then they should be like the rest of us - leftovers from the night before, usually with a thick layer of congealed cheese (though a quick microwave to loosen it is acceptable), eaten standing up straight from the box that had been left on the counter, clothing optional, and while not limiting accompanying beverages usually anything alcoholic is not recommended or desired (due to excessive consumption the previous evening).  That's how pizza became breakfast.

Also, I can get pizza delivered quicker than the preparation time for this recipe!

* (Edited to strike out suggestion that PMedMoe named this dish "pizza")
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 15:10:37 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #256 on: September 03, 2018, 15:01:54 »
 :rofl:

Wow...who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?  You'd have been better off with some of my breakfast pizza flatbread with non-pizzalike toppings.   :nod:

;)

Just as an FYI, I didn't name the recipe...

~ Lao Tzu~

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #257 on: September 03, 2018, 15:22:55 »
:rofl:

Wow...who pissed in your cornflakes this morning?  . . .

Just as an FYI, I didn't name the recipe...

I did not have cornflakes this morning.  In fact, it's probably close to half century since I last had cornflakes for breakfast, can't stand the things.  I did make an omelet filled with Italian sausage, onions, chopped tomatoes and mozzarella cheese (but I don't call it a pizza omelet).

I have corrected the hint of a suggestion that you named this dish pizza.

Online PMedMoe

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #258 on: September 04, 2018, 08:55:00 »
Okay.  I still can't tell if you're joking or not.  May I suggest you eat a Snickers bar?

Semantics aside, this is a pretty good recipe (if you're not easily triggered)...

;D
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline MARS

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #259 on: September 04, 2018, 10:31:05 »
-  (though a quick microwave to loosen it is acceptable),

Absolute, and most definitely 'unacceptable' savagery

How can one advocate for nothing less than a wood-fired oven in one sentence and then suggest using a...gasp... microwave for reheating purposes??  Why not just throw that slice of pizza against the wall and drop in a sink full of dirty dishes while you are at it? ;D

If you use a microwave to reheat your pizza then the terrorists win.

I cant even remember that last time I owned a microwave.  I guess someone who doesn't/hasn't cooked professionally would find it acceptable to use one...I guess.  Some people also think the earth is flat, soooo... :dunno:

Its like people who grill steaks on their puny, backyard, easy-bake oven-like bbqs...yeah, even the eggs...that only get to what, 900F??...because they think a steakhouse is overpriced and they can do just as well at home.   :rofl: Hammerheads.  If your grill isn't above 1200F, then that cow died for nothing...

That is a good looking 'pizza' though Moe...

"Managers do things right; Leaders do the right thing"

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #260 on: September 04, 2018, 12:17:26 »
LMAO~!  :rofl:

Who would have thought that a Food thread would bring out more anger and name-calling than the (if I may) QUOTE Hammerheads UNQUOTE in the Politics threads?!    ;D

For what it's worth, I'll be smoking pork back ribs (charcoal smoker, using a mix of hickory and mesquite wood chips); not telling what's in either the dry rub or the injected marinade, but I'm sure after a few hours of the savory ambrosia wafting next door, the vegans will have a change of heart!

One rack of the smoker will also be for an assortment of hot chili peppers out of the garden;  there will be some new hot sauces in the offing too.   :nod:
Sadly amazed at people cheering on the spread of kakistocracy.   :not-again:

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #261 on: September 04, 2018, 12:52:27 »

Who would have thought that a Food thread would bring out more anger and name-calling than the (if I may) QUOTE Hammerheads UNQUOTE in the Politics threads?!    ;D

For what it's worth, I'll be smoking pork back ribs (charcoal smoker, using a mix of hickory and mesquite wood chips); not telling what's in either the dry rub or the injected marinade, but I'm sure after a few hours of the savory ambrosia wafting next door, the vegans will have a change of heart!

One rack of the smoker will also be for an assortment of hot chili peppers out of the garden;  there will be some new hot sauces in the offing too.   :nod:

I assume your hot smoking everything? how long are you smoking for?
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #262 on: September 04, 2018, 13:09:37 »
I assume your hot smoking everything? how long are you smoking for?
I got the ribs from my favourite butcher, who had some real thick, meaty ones, so with the smoker around 230oF (it's a US-made smoker), they'll be on for about 5 hours. 

The chilis will only be on for about an hour/75 minutes or so, but then we also have a metric crap-load of tomatoes this season, so I'll likely smoke a bunch of those to throw in a blender, then be frozen.  They can be used in a great smoked marinara sauce (especially amazing lasagna).... which is also the basis of a "Smoked Cream of Tomato soup" recipe I stumbled across;  we'll see how that plays out once fall soup season returns.

:cheers:

Offline MARS

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #263 on: September 04, 2018, 13:52:33 »

;D

smoked tomatoes sounds awesome!

"Managers do things right; Leaders do the right thing"

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #264 on: September 13, 2018, 10:18:33 »
The smokey tomatoes turned out great;  they've already been tried in a couple of recipes and they add a delicious flavour.

Today, the smoked scotch bonnet peppers....plus black garlic, red onion, kosher salt, and a blend of Middle Eastern za'atar & Moroccan Harissa spices... are becoming a batch of North African hot sauces.

Previously when the hot chilies were on the stove being sautéed in vinegar, I had a cat who was on suicide watch because it produces chemical weapons' grade eye burning.  I currently live in a zoo with 4 assorted cats & dogs.....who, despite doors/windows being open and fans on, now all hate me.   ;D

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #265 on: September 13, 2018, 10:50:23 »
So, hatred of you is now an inter-species thing?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html