Author Topic: Prior Learning Assessment Review( PLAR ) FAQs  (Read 60689 times)

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Prior Learning assessment Review( PLAR )
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2010, 16:03:07 »
For whom is the PLAR for - RMC?  University? Other organization?  Time and expectations differ depending on who it is...

Oh and BTW,  its supposed to be Prior Learning Assessment and Recognition - unless the CF has recently created their own definition of PLAR?

Offline Jhunt

• Rate Post
PLAR-can a recruiter answer this one?
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2011, 16:31:01 »
I am applying to the CF, my trade is not forecasted to be open until OCT 1 . I have previous time in (1year) I have BMQ but do not have any QL3 qualifications. Can a PLAR be requested by CFRC if my application has been submitted but has yet to be processed? I am looking to be granted BMQ bypass.
Thanks

MikeL

Re: PLAR-can a recruiter answer this one?
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2011, 16:36:14 »
Call the Recruiting Centre and talk to them about Recruit School By Pass

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2011, 17:24:34 »
How long ago did you release?

Offline Jhunt

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2011, 17:32:13 »
Ive been trying for about a week to contact my CFRC but i assume they must be swamped with the fiscal year ending, they have not answered their phone, i will continue to call

i will be out 5 years this NOV which is why i do not wish to wait for my trade to open in OCT my chances of getting RSBP will be slim if i wait too much longer.

Offline Jhunt

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2011, 17:34:08 »
i should also say i was REGF and am joining REG F again

Offline agc

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2011, 17:52:20 »
If a PLAR is required, there should not be a problem in submitting it in time for any potential offer in the late fall.  Don't leave it to chance, though.  Make sure you're in touch with your recruiters again late in the summer.

Offline Jhunt

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 19:31:55 »
Thanks !

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
PLAR and the Forces
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2012, 09:45:52 »
I know it's a hard question to answer but I'm curious if my thinking is accurate in the timing of a Prior Learning Assessment for previous service.  I had mine sent in September and then re-sent in Late October.  I fully expect it to be 6 weeks - 6 months wait.
Trade choice and prior learning is all Log-O.  The CFRC could not give me any idea of a time frame to expect when I asked.

I'm content with the Wait, as it's nice to have the decision made to re-join.

Thanks,

Offline Jungle

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: time frame for a PLAR
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2012, 10:37:10 »
It will likely be closer to 6 months.
I had one done last year, and it took close to 6 months; that includes the staff work at the unit.
"I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind."
- John G. Diefenbaker. July 1, 1960. From the Canadian Bill of Rights.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2012, 12:41:31 »
I recruit for a reserve unit. I had one gent walk in the door fully a year ago. He was about 6 or 8 months out of the RCR; trade qualified in the infantry, deployment with recce platoon, stuff like that- but nothing particularly weird.

I got word within the past month that his PLAR had finally come back. It took them 11 months to determine that a regular force soldier who released a year and a half ago could enter the same trade in the reserves and keep all his quals. We swore him in on Thursday.

Hopefully this is a 'worst case' and proves to be a horror story rather than representative of the norm- but for no particular reason at all, it can take forever.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2012, 21:50:57 »
I waited a long time the first time around to get in, so waiting a few more months isn't going to kill me nor change my mind.  I have a pretty good job now, but really want a career that I have wanted since age 18.  It always amazes me when I think about the military career and the road I've taken thus far.

6-months is nothing to wait for something I know I want.

Thanks everyone.

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2012, 13:35:12 »
it appears that my file has now been closed for DEO Log O, Received a phone call this morning stating I could re-apply in March if I wanted to pursue the Log trade.

I'm disappointing as I was hoping that by completing a PLAR on me it meant I had a position already and they were waiting for it to return to see where I would land.

More waiting I guess, I am going in to talk to the CFRC to discuss my options at present.

Saw this and think it somewhat applies:

“Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.”
― James A. Michener

Offline MMSS

• My knife hand is a registered weapon
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2012, 14:16:45 »
it appears that my file has now been closed for DEO Log O, Received a phone call this morning stating I could re-apply in March if I wanted to pursue the Log trade.

I'm disappointing as I was hoping that by completing a PLAR on me it meant I had a position already and they were waiting for it to return to see where I would land.

More waiting I guess, I am going in to talk to the CFRC to discuss my options at present.

Saw this and think it somewhat applies:

“Character consists of what you do on the third and fourth tries.”
― James A. Michener

Hang in there, you'll make it. I've also heard that character is "doing the right thing even when no one is watching" - there's no reason that you can't continue to work out and take pride in yourself as an applicant.

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 08:21:37 »
It just really sucks to have them say you were merit listed and doing a PLAR then to be saying your file is now being closed and to re-apply in March.

If I have to wait for my PLAR to be complete while the trade is open I'm guessing I have a better chance of winning the lottery while not buying tickets then getting back in.

Offline MMSS

• My knife hand is a registered weapon
  • Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2012, 08:31:49 »
It just really sucks to have them say you were merit listed and doing a PLAR then to be saying your file is now being closed and to re-apply in March.

If I have to wait for my PLAR to be complete while the trade is open I'm guessing I have a better chance of winning the lottery while not buying tickets then getting back in.

Trust me, I know the feeling. I passed an interview in which I was told that I was definitely getting an offer only to get a letter a few weeks later stating that I was medically unfit for service and that my file was closed. It took me several years to get everything in my life lined up such that I could correct the issue and make a new application. March? that's only a few months away. I consider my new application to have moved quickly, I submitted in March and got an offer in November.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2012, 10:23:42 »

If you were already "merit listed", then your file should NOT be arbitrarily closed.  You should have been briefed as to why you were not selected, given advice on how to make yourself more competitive and provided you were willing to do so (ie; improve your application), the file can remain open for up to 12 months.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2012, 12:53:27 »
Essentially, Log closed while awaiting my PLAR.
Therefore my application will be sent to the "closed" pile

In March I will reapply and my file will be "opened" again where I will be able to start again where I left off.

It was a great conversation with the CFRC and I applaud them for putting up with my questions!

I was just worried I would have to re-do ALL the aspects of my application which as it turns out is not what will happen.

Offline Watchdog-1

• One bite at a time.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: November 19, 2012, 13:52:15 »
This just happened to me too. I got merit listed for pilot in October. The next day they told me the October selections were not going to happen. Then today I called to see if anything has changed and it turns out I was taken off the merit list a week later and they submitted a PLAR on me, which is going to take weeks/months. The worst part is that people got some offers early this month and I didn't even have a chance because they delisted me in October. I doubt they'll even get anything out of the PLAR since I was infantry NCM 5 years ago and am now applying for Pilot. Ah well, not my time I suppose.

Offline srvn2sv

• Rate Post
PLAR and the Forces
« Reply #44 on: February 06, 2013, 22:33:03 »
Just wondering how long a PLAR normally takes to process.  Dropped off transcripts to the RC, and playing the waiting game.  CFAT comes after the PLAR, so I'm just trying to get ready with math skill improvement, spatial testing practice, etc.  But a timeline would be handy to have.  I know there is a thread about wait times but most of the data in those posts are dated back in 2003-05.  I'm looking for intel that is a little more current.

Thank you.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: Normally how long does a PLAR take? Paramedic going for Med Tech
« Reply #45 on: February 06, 2013, 22:37:54 »
They can, unfortunately, take a considerable period of time. I cannot give you a firm 'from __ to __' gate, I can only offer anecdotal evidence. One individual who joined my reserve unit having recently released from the same trade in the regs was waiting on a PLAR for about 8 months. It's not a matter of the PLAR necessarily being a difficult process, but rather that a limited number of people work on them and there are many to do.

We have a number of reg and reserve medics on this site, we have folks working full time in the recruiting centres, and we have folks from other parts of Canadian Forces recruiting group. Hopefully a few will be along to fill in other pieces of the puzzle for you. It's discouraging, but stick with it- it's worth it.

Best of luck to you!
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline srvn2sv

• Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: February 06, 2013, 22:43:31 »
Thank Brihard.  It's always encouraging to get a response like that.

I VR'd from CFRS Cornwallis back in 1989 in week 8 out of 10.  (what a dummy)  lol  Now 43 with 18 years as a frontline paramedic I want back in as a Med Tech.  Kinda the reverse employment strategy to most.

RC is treating my application as a skilled entry.  My CF friends think it's funny that I want to do BMQ twice in a lifetime.

Offline Proud_Canadian

• Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2013, 01:46:35 »
Just wondering how long a PLAR normally takes to process.  Dropped off transcripts to the RC, and playing the waiting game.  CFAT comes after the PLAR, so I'm just trying to get ready with math skill improvement, spatial testing practice, etc.  But a timeline would be handy to have.  I know there is a thread about wait times but most of the data in those posts are dated back in 2003-05.  I'm looking for intel that is a little more current.

Thank you.

From what I am seeing, PLARs are taking minimum 2-4 months if all the info submitted in the first shot was all that was required.  If they come back to you asking for more, expect it to take double that.  It is getting substantially quicker as the PLAR staff has been working hard to get the backlog done.

Also, what recruiting centre are you dealing with?  They specifically told you they wont do a CFAT until the PLAR is back?

Offline srvn2sv

• Rate Post
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2013, 08:00:00 »
Hey Proud Canadian,

I'm dealing with Barrie.  All the staff there seem to be fantastic people and great at what they do.  I'm quite impressed.  The SGT there indicated that I would receive a call with a CFAT testing date and time after the PLAR was completed.  A couple of items were missing when I went in to see them, and although they said I could bring them in the day of the CFAT, I was planning on dropping in today and submitting them so they don't have to wait.  Resume, letter from previous employer and original college diploma.

I won't lie, I've been able to use this time to brush up on math skills and such in prep for the testing; it's been a long time since I've used math outside of calculating someone's heart rate.

I truly can't speak too highly of this forum and the information offered by its members.

Regards,

Offline SentryMAn

• Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 12:52:56 »
Keep going in every so often to check on the PLAR, I have a unique situation with mine that I won't go into detail but so far I've been waiting for it to return since August 2012.  I have heard that part is now complete on mine and hoping the rest returns to the CFRC by the week of the 20th.  Needless to say I am getting more and more nervous about it