Author Topic: Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)  (Read 420930 times)

Offline Ct155hawk

• Rate Post
Re: Aircrew Selection/ACS (Merged)
« Reply #875 on: January 15, 2019, 14:43:58 »
You are applying rotp or seneca or deo?

Offline hiking

• Rate Post
« Reply #876 on: January 22, 2019, 11:10:28 »
Currently applying for pilot DEO, just got told that my medical was approved. Btw I was sent to Toronto late november. Haven’t been told i was on the competition list yet but they told me an offer would be coming my way as soon as a position open.

Wish me luck.

Offline AliTheAce

• Rate Post
« Reply #877 on: January 23, 2019, 16:38:39 »
Came back from ACS on the 17th of January.

Failed for Pilot unfortunately by the smallest margin possible, on the symbolic reasoning category, specifically the Airborne Numerical Test. Was so incredibly close to passing it.

And that category I failed was the same for ACSO so I didn't get it. Only passed for AEC.

I was told to come back next year and redo it so I will definitely be doing that after I work on my weak points.

The test is incredibly demanding and my preparation for mental math is the only thing that helped, besides maybe some flight sims for the hand eye coordination.

Hope I can pass it in January 2020!

Offline jacksouth

• Rate Post
« Reply #878 on: January 29, 2019, 03:44:12 »
In response to the original poster (and you above @AliTheAce), I wanted to provide some info that helped me on the numerical tests, which I always found hard, especially the speed aspect of the tests.

I also used JobTestPrep for practice and it was useful. The problem was that it was fairly expensive and at the time I couldn't really afford additional expenses like this.

If you look around, there are a bunch of free tests online that you can use to practice and are as good as JTP. For me, the best one was PRT (PracticeReasoningTests). Their free numerical practice test is here: https://practicereasoningtests.com/practice-numerical-test.

Anyway good luck to anyone taking these tests. They're tough, but you can practice and improve, it's possible!

Offline Ct155hawk

• Rate Post
« Reply #879 on: January 31, 2019, 16:46:01 »
Hi all,

I applied in august during glider licence with cadet and now I have officialy finished the process as I'm back frome CFEME toronto. I'm 17 and applying ROTP in aerospace ingeneering ,I will give you updates. I'm kind of worried because they take only 26 pilot for ROTP... I wish luck and the best to all of you.

Offline AliTheAce

• Rate Post
« Reply #880 on: February 02, 2019, 22:51:58 »
Thanks Jack! Really appreciate it. Will make sure to get lots of practice with those this time.

Offline Ct155hawk

• Rate Post
« Reply #881 on: March 23, 2019, 17:52:44 »
recieved air factor 1 after 1 month and a half of wait.

Offline FallOfRome11

• Rate Post
« Reply #882 on: May 18, 2019, 18:25:32 »
Hey guys,

I just passed ASC for pilot recently. I have my Air Factor medical component coming up in June.
Question - can somebody explain in detail what to expect from my air factor medical in Toronto? Is it only physical tests? Or do they question you on mental health stuff too?

The reason I ask is because I was denied from entry in 2013 due to mental health issues I had as a kid / early teen. I’ve since reapplied and been reassessed and the RMO made me medically fit. I’ve been able to progress quite far as a result of that!

So now I’m worried that the issue above may affect my air factor too. If anybody can provide any knowledge / insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Offline MotherGoose

• Rate Post
« Reply #883 on: May 29, 2019, 13:25:38 »
Hey everyone! I just finished ACS. I didn't qualify for pilot, but I did qualify for ACSO. I'm really happy with that. Here's my advice.
1)Read this thread. Lot's of great tips.

2)The testing room is kept very cool. Bring something like a sweater (layers), which can be removed. Once the testing starts, you'll probably find yourself sweating.

3)Relax! The tests are extremely hard and stressful; the resulting anxiety and stress will affect your performance. Practice relaxation exercises. Find a light fragrance/essential oil (ACS has a scent free policy, so make sure it's light and agreeable, e.g. lavender, peppermint, sandalwood...) and incorporate it into deep breathing, meditation, and relaxation exercises. Wear the fragrance on your wrists during testing, take a whiff and some deep breaths. If you practiced enough, you'll have conditioned your mind and body to relax. This will take the edge off your nerves. When conditioning for relaxation, you can add other things and create a ritual. It could be tapping your chin or the tip of your nose, smiling, singing a song in your head, whatever feels right to you.

4)When studying for the test (mental arithmetic, angle familiarization, etc.), stay relaxed and use the same fragrance. This will help with information recall during the test.

5)Mental arithmetic is very important. Make sure you know your multiplication facts. I watched a lot of tecmath on Youtube; it's got some great tips and tricks. They're very well explained, and the guy's voice is very soothing, lol. You can practice mental arithmetic AND memory easily in your day to day life. Just look for numbers and put them together: the time, the volume of your shampoo bottle, the total of your groceries, anything! You can add, subtract, multiply, divide. Whatever you want, but no pen and paper. Do it on the fly, while attending to whatever you are doing (multitasking!). Throughout your day and when you find a new number, try to remember where you were at. If you forgot, start over.

6)Each test is preceded by instructions and practice questions. The instructions are not timed (good time to sniff and breathe). The practice questions are timed. You can go over the instructions and practice questions more than once. DO IT! Familiarize yourself with the necessary keys on the keyboard and any sensory/motor equipment required.

I think that's it for now... I'll post again if anything else comes to mind.

Offline Ct155hawk

• Rate Post
« Reply #884 on: May 29, 2019, 19:08:13 »
going BMOQ for pilot rotp july 5. swearing in 25 june.

there is some good website to read before going there(trenton)
GO read : http://www.fledglingflyer.com/

download CBAT application ( i cant tell you why but you will understand)

go on Speed distance time website.

and as mentionned above. play with number every days.

every one can do it guys.

practice makeS perfect - col chris hadfield

Offline Rebus

• Rate Post
« Reply #885 on: June 05, 2019, 14:31:10 »
Hey guys,

I just passed ASC for pilot recently. I have my Air Factor medical component coming up in June.
Question - can somebody explain in detail what to expect from my air factor medical in Toronto? Is it only physical tests? Or do they question you on mental health stuff too?

The reason I ask is because I was denied from entry in 2013 due to mental health issues I had as a kid / early teen. I’ve since reapplied and been reassessed and the RMO made me medically fit. I’ve been able to progress quite far as a result of that!

So now I’m worried that the issue above may affect my air factor too. If anybody can provide any knowledge / insight, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

All the tests they do are physical. Lung function test, heart ultrasound, eye exam, then you go over the results with the flight doctor and they ask you questions about everything, similar to the basic medical. I'm unsure about mental health, but I'm sure it'll come up.