Author Topic: Living at the RMC  (Read 48081 times)

Offline aspiring officer

• Rate Post
  • GOOOO ZIPPERHEADS!!!
Re: Living at the RMC
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 17:35:48 »
Thank you all so much!!!
Hey, all of us going to RMC, lets get to know each other.
My name is Alan Li from Toronto. I heard about RMC from army cadets. I have been in cadets for 2 and a half years. I am planing to play hockey varsity for my sport at RMC. What about u guys?

Offline Alex252

• Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2005, 18:15:52 »
Congrats Alan, Glad you made it, you sure have wanted it enough ;). If you could fill me with some info on the prep year program that would be great.
Aspiring CF member!

Offline Paish

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2005, 18:22:23 »
What about u guys?

Stephen Paish, Northern Alberta, Level 4 Air cadet, NSCE Army cadet, i hope to play rugby as i hear its coming back!
"We should all be wearing it high and tight in my opinion - so take that you hippies..." - Infanteer.

Offline OCDT Lampkin

• Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2005, 20:26:16 »
James Lampkin, south eastern Ontario, CELE (air).....did air cadets for 6 years, hardcore soccer
Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Lois, this isn't my Batman glass.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2005, 20:35:21 »
I'm on the waiting list to be a Log officer, which in my world means a 'no' (lets be honest, if you go to all the trouble to apply to RMC, then you'll probably accept if they offer you a spot).

I'm not holding my breath to 'wait out just in case'.

You would be surprised as to how many fools do turn it down after going through all the processing.  Good luck.
- Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.
- Just when you realize life's a *****, it has puppies.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2005, 20:42:16 »
No Infantry?  Where are all the snake-eaters?
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

seoulja

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2005, 21:06:57 »
Justin Yoo, Delta BC, 5 years in air cadets but i quit last year,i'm thinking about playing rugby but i'm pretty sure i'd be a midget running around on the pitch.

Offline East Side Soprano

• Rate Post
  • Soldier
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2005, 21:49:44 »
No Infantry?  Where are all the snake-eaters?
I'm in for Infantry.

Offline aspiring officer

• Rate Post
  • GOOOO ZIPPERHEADS!!!
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2005, 01:19:52 »
This is awesome guys, i can't wait to see ya there.
I'm on the waiting list to be a Log officer, which in my world means a 'no'
Is it possible that you go for an MOC change? There's probably been threads about this. I am still contemplating an MOC change from tanker to infantry, but only if i can get my Jump wings through cadets. Even then, i'll most likely stick with the zipperheads.

Justin Yoo, Delta BC,
Alright, fellow asian! ;D

Offline I_Drive_Planes

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2005, 01:31:07 »
You would be surprised as to how many fools do turn it down after going through all the processing.   Good luck.

Thats good to know, there may be hope for me yet!

Planes
Fear of death will not prevent dying, but it may prevent livng

Offline beyondsblue

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2005, 21:44:40 »
Congratulations for those of you who made it to RMC!!!
I'm going to apply for it this Sept. (in gr. 11 currently), just wondering if you guys have any tips at all for me? Anything would be good.
Also, what was your average? I'm kinda worried about this right now, do you look at all your courses or just your core courses( science, math and english)? Because I have a 85 overall average but my science marks are only 60 to 75 ish, lol, going into Arts for sure.

Offline Tarutig

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2005, 21:58:35 »
My husband just graduated not long ago from RMC (last year).   His average in highschool was 97 or 98%

Congrats to all those who got accepted!

Offline East Side Soprano

• Rate Post
  • Soldier
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2005, 22:32:01 »
Congratulations for those of you who made it to RMC!!!
I'm going to apply for it this Sept. (in gr. 11 currently), just wondering if you guys have any tips at all for me? Anything would be good.
Also, what was your average? I'm kinda worried about this right now, do you look at all your courses or just your core courses( science, math and english)? Because I have a 85 overall average but my science marks are only 60 to 75 ish, lol, going into Arts for sure.

Strike a good balance between all the activities in your life. The really like well-rounded applicants. Be involved in school athletics (at least one or two teams of any sport), school leadership (student council is great, try doing that next year), extra-curricular activities (sports, martial arts etc), volunteering (sustained commitments look better than several one time activities), employment (part-time) and of course, academics. I would strongly suggest getting those science marks up to stay competitive. I got accepted to RMC this year with a 89%-90% grade 12 average. My recruiter looked at core subjects from all 4 years of high school so those are rather important.

I know that finding time for all those things is difficult but if you are able to successfully, then the selection board will reward you for it.

Good luck.

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2005, 13:29:27 »
I haven't received a call yet.. Should I be worried? And is it a good idea to call the RC, or do I just wait for their call?

Congrats to those who got accepted to RMC, maybe I'll see you guys around...
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline Big Foot

• Rate Post
  • Muda, mura, and muri everywhere I look...
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2005, 13:37:50 »
At this stage of the game, it would be a good idea to phone the RC.
It's not insubordinate if you know exactly where the line is and walk on it but never cross it.

Goose

« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2005, 15:40:18 »
If you refuse an offer for ROTP at RMC, will they still consider you for civvie university?  How do they make they selection between the two?  Can you add any other MOC's at this stage in the application?

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2005, 15:49:54 »
If you refuse an offer for ROTP at RMC, will they still consider you for civvie university?   How do they make they selection between the two?   Can you add any other MOC's at this stage in the application?

The CFRC/D will go back to CFRG and query whether there is a Civie U position available but in most cases if you turn down an offer to RMC you are SOL for this year.  No, you are not able to add MOCs at this time.
- If we are the only intelligent life in the universe, at least there's a finite number of idiots.

Offline Chags

• Rate Post
  • AMS Student
« Reply #42 on: May 09, 2005, 16:01:23 »
Congrats to all who made it so far.. 

by the way I got told exactly 10 years ago yesterday that I was on the waiting list..  but about a week later then told me I was in..

Now its time to prepare yourselves for BOTC..  and take it seriously.. My platoon lost 12 guys..

Not everyone will make it through..

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2005, 18:22:15 »
The CFRC/D will go back to CFRG and query whether there is a Civie U position available but in most cases if you turn down an offer to RMC you are SOL for this year.   No, you are not able to add MOCs at this time.

I thought you could choose between civvie U and RMC (assuming you had applied for both)? I'll go to RMC if I have to (I wouldn't feel forced--it seems like a great experience and all) but I'd also like to go to civvie U, and the way the recruiter had explained it to me, if you applied to both and got accepted, you could pick whichever you'd rather do.

Mind clearing that up?
My posts are my opinion alone and do not reflect any other person or group's opinion... because you can't handle the truth, and deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me to say these things.

Offline kincanucks

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • ARRSE
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2005, 18:35:18 »
I thought you could choose between civvie U and RMC (assuming you had applied for both)? I'll go to RMC if I have to (I wouldn't feel forced--it seems like a great experience and all) but I'd also like to go to civvie U, and the way the recruiter had explained it to me, if you applied to both and got accepted, you could pick whichever you'd rather do.

Mind clearing that up?

You can't choose something if they don't offer it to you.   You put down two choices 1. RMC 2. Civie U   that way if they don't offer you RMC then they may offer you Civie U or nothing.   They don't come back and say: "Hey Mr. Bloggins we have a spot at RMC (your first choice) but if you rather we have one at Civie U (your second choice)."  Conversly, if you had 1. Civie U 2. RMC, they may offer you RMC (because you are super smart) but they will offer you Civie U if you don't want the RMC spot.  Clear as mud?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2005, 18:42:43 by kincanucks »

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: May 09, 2005, 18:52:36 »
You can't choose something if they don't offer it to you.   You put down two choices 1. RMC 2. Civie U   that way if they don't offer you RMC then they may offer you Civie U or nothing.   They don't come back and say: "Hey Mr. Bloggins we have a spot at RMC (your first choice) but if you rather we have one at Civie U (your second choice)."   Conversly, if you had 1. Civie U 2. RMC, they may offer you RMC (because you are super smart) but they will offer you Civie U if you don't want the RMC spot.   Clear as mud?

Yep, makes more sense now. I didn't remember ordering the two choices, which was why I was confused. Thanks!

Offline aspiring officer

• Rate Post
  • GOOOO ZIPPERHEADS!!!
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2005, 01:25:25 »
You can't choose something if they don't offer it to you.  You put down two choices 1. RMC 2. Civie U  that way if they don't offer you RMC then they may offer you Civie U or nothing.  They don't come back and say: "Hey Mr. Bloggins we have a spot at RMC (your first choice) but if you rather we have one at Civie U (your second choice)."  Conversly, if you had 1. Civie U 2. RMC, they may offer you RMC (because you are super smart) but they will offer you Civie U if you don't want the RMC spot.  Clear as mud?

So does this also apply to Junior/Senior? If they offer ROTP with a prep year, does it mean that you will have to take it or get nothing at all?

Basic Person

« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2005, 04:22:02 »
Got into EME but a degree in Civil Engineering. From BC.

Congrats to all who made it so far.. 

by the way I got told exactly 10 years ago yesterday that I was on the waiting list..  but about a week later then told me I was in..

Now its time to prepare yourselves for BOTC..  and take it seriously.. My platoon lost 12 guys..

Not everyone will make it through..

What kind of people don't pass BOTC? Are they people who regret coming or physically unfit.

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2005, 04:45:06 »
Military Service isn't for everybody - some people simply won't be mentally prepared.  It's fun to watch them thunder in; you can always tell because their lower lip starts to quiver - next thing you know their kit is packed and they're gone....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

Offline Freddy G

• Banned
  • Rate Post
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2005, 09:29:44 »
Oh the timing, I told myself I'd call this morning, and just before I called they called me...

AAaaaaand, I've been accepted to RMC, BOTC is on July 4th, and I'm getting my first MOC choice as 71 MARS.

But now I feel I'm kindof, afraid or something. Anybody else feel like that? I've been wanting to go to RMC since I knew what it was, and I'm really interested in my uni program (Military and Strategic Studies), but it feels like something's amiss. Heh, I guess it's just the shock, I'll let it wear off.

I hope everyone else who hasn't gotten their answers, gets a good one.