Author Topic: CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)  (Read 129826 times)

Online Ditch

• Established 1998
  • Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I routinely step in it, but like conflict...
Re: CT -- Reserves into ROTP/RMC (merged)
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2010, 18:46:28 »
You will be transferred to the Regular Force the day before you need to show up for duty.

If your BOTP/BOTC/IAP (whatever) starts on 20 June 2010 - then you will show up in St-Jean on 19 June 2010.  All your initial paperwork, kit issue, brow-beating will occur on the 20th.  If you get late acceptance into RMC, then you will be CT'd late August.

I CT'd from the PRes to the RegF, never was I told that I was VRing and re-enrolling.  I was transferred from the Militia to the Regular Force.  I worked at my Militia unit Class A until a week before leaving.  I cleared out of my ASU and returned some kit that I would not need anymore (Army CF's, cot, helmet, webbing etc).  All of that was re-issued to me in St-Jean.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Offline 31engnr

• Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2010, 19:00:32 »
I was told that I would not be doing anything during the summer no matter what and would do my BOTP and whatever else during the summer after my first year of university.  I originally thought that it would be this summer but apparently they are doing things differently than they used to.  I'm not sure what anybody else has been told regarding the summer and whether or not they are doing BOTP, but this is what I was told.

Offline BK

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2010, 12:23:28 »
Vbank,

i did it last year.  Couple of tips to help you in the transfer.

- Keep on top of the paper work in your admin office, there is alot of stuff being flown from recruiting to your BOR and you will need to sign a big stack of forms just before your release from reserves.  Make sure your benefits forms are correct(like of you got injured or something).

- MAKE sure and guard that form you get signed off by everyone especially your Kit return list.  When you land in St.Jean and they say you should have all your kit, just rip out the form and proceed.  Computer glitches to exist.

- itis weird to get released and then hired again by the Reg. but make sure you are completely off the reserve system or else your reg force pay wont come in.

Offline VBanks

• Rate Post
  • With God all things are possible
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2010, 15:07:04 »
Vbank,

i did it last year.  Couple of tips to help you in the transfer.

- Keep on top of the paper work in your admin office, there is alot of stuff being flown from recruiting to your BOR and you will need to sign a big stack of forms just before your release from reserves.  Make sure your benefits forms are correct(like of you got injured or something).

- MAKE sure and guard that form you get signed off by everyone especially your Kit return list.  When you land in St.Jean and they say you should have all your kit, just rip out the form and proceed.  Computer glitches to exist.

- itis weird to get released and then hired again by the Reg. but make sure you are completely off the reserve system or else your reg force pay wont come in.

Thanks BK  :) So did you switch from the Reserves to ROTP? And even though it's a release from the Reserves and a re-enrollment in Reg Force, is your pay as an officer still based on the time you spent in the Reserves (how you can never go down in pay in the military)? Thanks again.

Offline BK

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2010, 16:33:13 »
Well thats a different can of worms.

I stand to be corrected, it was 08 i did the transfer from PRes to ROTP.  Back to the pay issue, it depends on everyone's personal case, I was just so happy that the ball was rolling as quick as it was, that i kind of put the pay 2nd verses getting in the Reg Force Career.  Also i was a private with little leverage to bring to the table.  They did give me time in as a Reservest but my pay actually decreased.  But then again i was a reservest that gets payed for showing up to parade and exercises and on becoming a Reg Force member you get payed every 2 weeks, so i still consider myself blessed.

If you have vast experience, like MCpl and above i think you have a much better chance of getting higher pay as an OCdt.  We had a Mcpl on our basic that had 2 tours under his belt and was a qualified instructor (i doubt he was getting my pay).  But that is just my opinion, to how the CFRC handles this, i am not sure.  The clerks at the CFRC are gods with all this information, consult them.  Note adding anything could mean delaying the enrollment, so its all about pros and cons.

What trade are you heading for?

Offline VBanks

• Rate Post
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2010, 19:38:27 »
Currently I'm a sig op, but if I go to RMC I'm hopefully transferring to armoured; what about you?  :)

Offline ekpiper

• Rate Post
  • Semper Paratus
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2010, 13:13:37 »
I'm in a similar boat, applying to ROTP, but currently PRes.  The essentials are thus: 

If you are a private: you will be paid as if you had no military service

If you are a corporal or greater: you will be paid as if you CT'd into your current trade, at your current rank.  Upon commissioning, you will be paid in Pay Category D, starting at the next highest pay level (from your current pay) at that new rank, at that category.

I'm not 100% sure how promotions work, specifically if you are promoted to 2Lt from OCdt making $x, you either get the next pay level greater than your current, or 1 pay level beyond that.

This can all be found in the CBI 204-02 documents. found on the DGCB.

204.211(10) (Officer Cadet – former non-commissioned member)  An officer cadet who is appointed directly to that rank from a non-commissioned rank shall be paid:

1. if the member was a non-commissioned member of the Regular Force, at the rate of pay which, including any upward adjustments to the rates of pay determined under subparagraphs (i) and (ii) that may be established from time to time, and any upward adjustments resulting from the reallocation of the last military occupation in which the member served as a non-commissioned member to a higher trade group, is the greater of the rate of pay established for:
         1. the rank, pay increment, pay level and trade group held on the day immediately prior to the date of appointment to the rank of officer cadet, or
         2. any higher pay increment to which the member would have become entitled had the member remained in the former rank, pay level and trade group as a non-commissioned member; and
   2. if the member was a former Regular Force member who re-enrolled or a member who transferred from the Reserve Force to the Regular Force, at the rate of pay, including any upward adjustments to the rates of pay, in CBI 204.30 (Pay – Non-commissioned members) for:
         1. the rank, pay level and trade group that they would have received had they enrolled directly as a non-commissioned member as determined in orders or instructions issued by the Chief of the Defence Staff, at the pay increment determined by CBI 204.015 (Pay Increments); or
         2. any higher pay increment to which the officer would have become entitled under CBI 204.015 (Pay Increments) had the officer remained in the former rank, pay level and trade group as a non-commissioned member.

204.211(3) (Rate of pay – ROTP) An officer to whom the ROTP applies shall be paid, for each month after the month and year specified in the table, at the rate of pay established for the officer’s rank and pay increment as follows

1. if a lieutenant or second lieutenant
         1. with no former non-commissioned member service, in pay level A of Table “B” or “C” to this instruction, or
         2. with former non-commissioned member service and appointed to the rank of officer cadet directly from the rank of private, in pay level A of Table “B” or “C” to this instruction; or
         3. with former non-commissioned member service and appointed to the rank of officer cadet directly from the rank of corporal or above, in pay level D of Table “B” or “C” to this instruction; and
   2. subject to QR&O 203.20 (Officers – Regular Force – Limitation of Payments) , if an officer cadet with no former non-commissioned member service, in pay level A of Table "A" to this instruction.

http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dgcb-dgras/pub/cbi-dra/204-eng.asp

Offline MMChai

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2010, 17:33:32 »
I was just wondering if anyone else who is Component Transferring into ROTP is going to CMR and got offered up to 4 years (I already have 2 years complete at a Uivi U). I am going from Reserve Infantry Officer 2Lt to MARS and what I find interesting is through talking with those who deal with the CT's that it is not 1 year CMR then 3 in Kingston, but all done through CMR in a BA. Anyone else get an offer like this? I will be interested to see what the final offer looks like after the PLAR.

Offline 31engnr

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: March 21, 2010, 04:33:36 »
I am also CT'ing from the reserves to ROTP and my offer letter sounded similar to that, though I am not already in university and I am an NCM.  It said
"Under the terms of the plan, you will be subsidized for up to 4 years depending on the accreditation that you may receive at Collège Militaire Royal Saint-Jean to obtain a Bachelor of Engineering. You will be enrolled in the MOSID of 00207 MARS."
I found this weird because it is either worded in a confusing way or they actually want me to get a bachelor of engineering at CMR, which, as far as I know, they don't offer.  I also posted this in the "ROTP 2010..." thread where no one else had seen something similar.   

Offline MMChai

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2010, 20:40:39 »
Yes!, that was exactly what mine said. (Looks like we are going to be going to school together)

Offline TheBlackCat

• Rate Post
  • Fidelis et Paratus
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2010, 14:28:42 »
I'm CT'ing to Armoured Officer under ROTP this year as wekk going into my 2nd year @Saint Mary's U and I talked to my contact in ottawa and no matter what experience you have you have to go to the RMC St.Jean for the orientation camp at the beginning of August, everyone going civyU in the maritimes is goin to St.Jean. he said all the formal CT offers will be emailed out by the end of April and then the CT takes affect at the beginning of August. until then I'm going to try and get a tasking in gagetown, I suggest you try to as well!
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people." - General Rick Hillier

Offline VBanks

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2010, 16:42:37 »
I'm CT'ing to Armoured Officer under ROTP this year as wekk going into my 2nd year @Saint Mary's U and I talked to my contact in ottawa and no matter what experience you have you have to go to the RMC St.Jean for the orientation camp at the beginning of August, everyone going civyU in the maritimes is goin to St.Jean. he said all the formal CT offers will be emailed out by the end of April and then the CT takes affect at the beginning of August. until then I'm going to try and get a tasking in gagetown, I suggest you try to as well!

Thanks for the info. I'm also CTing to Armoured Officer :) Maybe we'll cross paths in the future :)

Offline TheBlackCat

• Rate Post
  • Fidelis et Paratus
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2010, 16:51:05 »
Are you the OCdt with the sig det at the halifax armouries? if so you must kno dylan colbourne then ive met you already lol
"We're not the public service of Canada, we're not just another department. We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people." - General Rick Hillier

Offline VBanks

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: April 18, 2010, 09:47:03 »
Are you the OCdt with the sig det at the halifax armouries? if so you must kno dylan colbourne then ive met you already lol

No, sorry, I'm not - I'm in Ottawa, and I'm a Private  :)

Offline Blenkarn

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: April 18, 2010, 18:25:14 »
Thanks TheBlackCat,

I had no idea when the formal offers would be coming out, or what the situation is for CT & Civy U. Nice to know a general guestimate. Second year MSVU student CTing to MPO.

Offline ekpiper

• Rate Post
  • Semper Paratus
« Reply #65 on: April 18, 2010, 21:02:40 »
I can corroborate TheBlackCat's info, as the PO handling my CT also told me the same thing WRT when letters will go out. 

Offline TheBlackCat

• Rate Post
  • Fidelis et Paratus
« Reply #66 on: April 28, 2010, 13:53:04 »
Thanks TheBlackCat,

Second year MSVU student CTing to MPO.

yeah my sister is goin to MSVU next year, wow congratulations! I talked to the recuiter when i was choosing secondary choices for trades and I asked her about MPO and she told me there was only 2 spots in canada, so I said screw that haha, although I am taking Criminology.

Offline Blenkarn

• Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: April 28, 2010, 16:15:17 »
Thanks - Yeah, I was happy, I was especially worried with the only two spots. MSVU is a great school, I'd probably be taking Criminology at SMU, but I dislike Sociological type stuff. Headed to Gagetown tomorrow for course, so I hope I dont have to be in Halifax to deal with anything ROTP wise.

Offline TheBlackCat

• Rate Post
  • Fidelis et Paratus
« Reply #68 on: April 28, 2010, 16:24:59 »
Are you with the reserve MP unit now?

Offline Blenkarn

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: April 28, 2010, 16:53:13 »
Yeah, with 3MP out in Sackville, Pte T atm, What are you CTing from?

Offline TheBlackCat

• Rate Post
  • Fidelis et Paratus
« Reply #70 on: April 29, 2010, 10:48:23 »
my home uniti s  The Ontario Reg't (RCAC), I was attached to the PLF for about 6 months, and then i got assigned to 33svc so i could train with the hailifax rifles (RCAC)

Offline Blenkarn

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2010, 21:45:53 »
You've been around. I'm out in Gagetown atm on a Comm course - Hoping this letter gets here somewhat soon

Offline Phosphoric

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2010, 15:01:59 »
Hello,

I've been in CF for almost 2 years now. I joined as a reg. force NCM in the Weapons Tech (L). I'm currently on my QL3 course and I am doing good so far. However, I am not enjoying it as much as I had originally hoped. The idea of swapping parts the rest of my career (which a few senior members have the trade have told me is all I would be doing), does not appeal me. Overall though, I love the military and I can't imagine going back to the civvy world. I have been toying with the idea of becoming an officer in the combat arms, which was something I thought would interest me when I was applying, but thought it better to see if I even like the military life before going that route. What I am interested in knowing is, what is the process and how difficult would it be to move from NCM to the ROTP at this point, and, would it be better for me to finish my course and then bring this up the chain of command during my QL4's. On one hand my peers say that I'm so close I might as well finish. On the other, someone requesting a change of trade after just being trained might not be viewed as kindly as someone requesting before training is completed.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2010, 15:33:15 »
I thin the answer's going to be "you can't get there from here." IIRC, the three commissioning plans for Reg NCMs are: UTPNCM, SRCP, and CFR. I don't think ROTP is available to serving NCMs. Some else will point you at the reference, I'm sure. In any event, you still wouldn't qualify until you had career status: 3 years served and at least QL4, maybe QL5. SRCP requires you already have a degree, and CFR requires that you have significant experience.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #74 on: July 29, 2010, 11:17:23 »
Mike is absolutley correct.

ROTP is an entry plan. You are already in.
If you want to gain your Queen's Commission, you have to wait till minimum QL5 trade qualification and then look at the UTPNCM program. CFR is a longer route (potentially) while for SCP you need to be working on your degree part time for a number of years till complete. There is also the CEOTP program, which is similar to the UT.

You could always get out and reapply for ROTP in however many months it is now, but I would really do not think that is a good idea.

That all being said, don't let the bitter school staff disillusion you too much. Life in 2nd line units (Svc Bn) may be largley parts changing, but life in 1st line units is a different kettle of fish. As a gun plumber you will be diagnosing faults a lot more than you think. Don't let CFSEME and Borden get you down. Life gets better.

Wook
Why are there swamps on top of hills?