Author Topic: Boatswain (BOSN)  (Read 105208 times)

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Boatswain (BOSN)
« Reply #125 on: October 13, 2010, 18:53:12 »
Halifax Tar, I think it was good of you to give the kid some answers as best you could without the  "humour" some choose to use.  I agree we could use some new sailors and they should be encouraged not the other way.  They will see enough of that from some quarters when they come fresh off the street.   I guess I am getting mellow and in short supply of "humour" in my old age.

I answered more questions than Halifax Tar did.  Are you saying I should have just played along with even the patently absurd questions like the basketball court one?

I think I know what part of the problem with the Navy is these days:  We used to have thicker skins. 

Spoon feeding these kids isn't doing them any favours.  All the questions he asked could have been answered with a simple search.  I answered some of them, and had fun with the strange ones.  He should have gotten a simple "Do a search!".

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 22YOA
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2010, 19:33:48 »
You know, I was young once too.  I asked all sorts of dumb *** questions, still do at times.  Nobody's perfect.  But I see here on these forums many an occasion where a green apple steps on his thing, or perhaps does not use the Queen's English correctly.... then it seems as if a dog pile happens from several different directions.  Replies, to do a search, correct his syntax etc etc.  Why not take the time to be a mentor, it might be easier to be glib, cutting or as I have seen here at times bloody rude.  But honestly, it does not take much more effort to be the better man/woman and be a mentor or at least understanding to a degree. 

I usually use the PM route for trying to answer some of these kid's questions to the best of my ability.  Some of them have come back quite a number of times with further questions.  Each to their own, I am thick enough skinned and for those who know me thick enough too.  Yeah, we used to be saltier.  Some of the old ones had tons of "humour" too when dealing with junior personnel, but honestly those Dinosaurs are getting few and far between nowadays.  And frankly, I don't miss those I knew over the years one tiny bit.
I'm just like the CAF, I seem to have retention issues.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #127 on: October 13, 2010, 20:16:56 »
Why not take the time to be a mentor, it might be easier to be glib, cutting or as I have seen here at times bloody rude.  But honestly, it does not take much more effort to be the better man/woman and be a mentor or at least understanding to a degree.

Take a look at my 1000-odd posts, and then come back and tell me into which category I belong.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

Offline hold_fast

• something witty
  • Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2010, 02:06:23 »
I consider myself to be a young lad interested in a career with the navy. I have asked many of the same questions that he did - I merely asked them to a search engine instead.

I was a moron at 18 when I was first planning on joining - as a BOSN, no less! I can understand some of the recruiting videos being a bit misleading - I distinctly remember one video that showed a ship with a vending machine for beer. I asked that question here to get more info.

And what was the answer? I don't remember! Why? Because I quickly realized how insignificant it was. I started researching more on naval history and cartography, and less on when I could fit in a workout. I mean, I understand that those benefits are part of recruiting. But I also think it's ridiculous to dumb down or alleviate concerns over what the military does. People need to take recruiting videos with a grain of salt - whether that is military recruiting or recruiting for any job in any industry or with any company. It's marketing. Maybe there legitimately is a basketball hoop hung up somewhere that looks legitimate and, when shot at the right angle, makes the entire hangar look like a basketball court.

As for thick skin? I strongly advocate it. Not just for the military, but for life. His questions warranted a bit of wit, and that is what they got. The best answer for every single one of his questions was for him to use the search engine, and that was the answer Occam gave him (in addition to many straightforward and helpful answers).

It's the ****ing navy. I don't want my life to depend on someone who gets upset when he gets a bit of wit his way. I'd rather have a team of men and women with a pair of gonads (figuratively speaking) and a brain to match (i.e. have researched Somalia before they make a reference to it).

Maybe I'm being too harsh in comparison to what has been said prior, but I wouldn't have if the guy didn't spend two posts whining about his hurt feelings.

You can't expect people to sit at home on their computers and constantly answer the same questions over and over again. Asking a possible recruit to use the search engine first is not only intelligent for him (making him acknowledge the resource that will help him not only now, but in the future) but also for the individuals already in the CF who don't have the time to type up post after post on what sleeping on a navy ship is like. Occam has been extremely helpful in many threads that I've perused in my research and that cut at him about not being a mentor made me puke in my mouth a little.

Mind you, all of the above opinions come from someone who has yet to be in the military - who hasn't even made it through basic training yet. As such, take it for what it's worth -  :2c:.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2010, 04:06:11 »
I answered more questions than Halifax Tar did.  Are you saying I should have just played along with even the patently absurd questions like the basketball court one?

I think I know what part of the problem with the Navy is these days:  We used to have thicker skins.

Spoon feeding these kids isn't doing them any favours.  All the questions he asked could have been answered with a simple search.  I answered some of them, and had fun with the strange ones.  He should have gotten a simple "Do a search!".

You know I do see your points Occam, but I recall a flag officer talking to a group of us about recruiting and retention issues. His basic concept was that we are all the best recruiters the military has, as current serving members. Now if every time a tadpole slithered into a recruiting center, asked questions and was subsequently told to search the video cabinet to check it out for him or her self, how many people would go much beyond just that ? I know I wouldn't have.

My point is that you get more with sugar than vinegar so when a prospective person shows interest sarcastic and snide remarks are not helpful or productive. You know moms old adage "if you don't have something good to say don't say anything at all".

As for this talk about "thick skin" in the Navy/Military give it a break, being sarcastic, snide and counter productive has absolutely nothing to do with ones moral and person fortitude (I.E."Thick Skin").

Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2010, 04:20:35 »
You can't expect people to sit at home on their computers and constantly answer the same questions over and over again.

You should tell that to the people at the CFRCs. I bet dollars to doughnuts that they get the same 10-15 questions constantly. It requires patience and strong pot of coffee i would assume.

Why not create a sticky in the Naval Trades group about shipboard life and what to expect in the navy. This may help!

Good luck joining the Navy Hold Fast, just remember not everyone is all gonads and chest beating! You will calm over time as you do long watches of staring off into bleak nothingness and gazing at downtown Halifax, on a beautiful sunny Friday evening, while your on duty wishing you could be downtown.

I am interested to know exactly what kind of missions or roles you see yourself involved in once you join the Navy... I guess I mean what do you expect to be doing ?

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2010, 06:30:32 »
Take a look at my 1000-odd posts, and then come back and tell me into which category I belong.

That's all I have to say on the matter.

My comments on dealing with less than appreciated questions/statements were not directed at you and you alone.  For all the times you have indeed been a mentor, I applaud you.  Keep it up.  There are enough miserable folks out there and at times in here already.   I'll cease comment now too.

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2010, 06:50:00 »
You know I do see your points Occam, but I recall a flag officer talking to a group of us about recruiting and retention issues. His basic concept was that we are all the best recruiters the military has, as current serving members. Now if every time a tadpole slithered into a recruiting center, asked questions and was subsequently told to search the video cabinet to check it out for him or her self, how many people would go much beyond just that ? I know I wouldn't have.

My point is that you get more with sugar than vinegar so when a prospective person shows interest sarcastic and snide remarks are not helpful or productive. You know moms old adage "if you don't have something good to say don't say anything at all".

As for this talk about "thick skin" in the Navy/Military give it a break, being sarcastic, snide and counter productive has absolutely nothing to do with ones moral and person fortitude (I.E."Thick Skin").

I was completely prepared to walk away from this thread, but unfortunately I have to say something about this.  Perhaps a kind mod will split this off and create a separate, useful thread dealing with thick skin and life.

That saying about us being the best recruiters the military has has been around since long before we were in uniform.  I agree with the sentiment, but it has nothing to do with the point at hand.

Your scenario regarding a young'un walking into a RC is an appropriate one.  I did the very thing you describe; that is, walked into a recruiting centre, did the CFAT, medical and interview, and picked a trade all on my own.  I didn't get the luxury of asking a thousand nagging questions about what the trade was going to be like, what my bunk was going to be like, and what the foreign ports were going to be like.  Hell, they didn't even bother to tell me that I had to join a feeder trade first, and wouldn't see my actual trade for 5 years.  I think I got a one-sheet handout on what all the trades did, and I picked one from that.  Aside from a few years as a sea puppy, I entered the Navy, and the CF, sight unseen.  Most of the guys who showed up at Cornwallis with me were in the same boat - none of us knew anything about feeder trades, YTEP, and other neat concepts, but you know what?  We learned.

Some of the folks that are walking into recruiting centres these days should be given an "about turn".  It's all about instant gratification.  I want my answers now, I want no surprises, I want to know every single thing that's on the test before I take it, I want to know what my entitlements are before I volunteer for anything.  It's shocking, to be honest.  When I was an instructor, my students would always put out the feelers for what type of faults I would be putting on the equipment to test them.  They didn't get a friggin' thing from me, because then I'd have been cheating them of the experience.  I must've done a fair job, as most of the students I taught who are still around are all PO2 and above now, with a good number as Chiefs.  Unfortunately, because of a lack of backbone, the Navy also allowed students who should not have reached that rank level to be advanced.  I still have recollection of a student who failed a phase repeatedly, and it was ordered that he be passed anyways.  All part of the "thin-skinning" of the Navy.  It taught those who worked hard that they didn't need to because they'd be taken care of anyways, regardless of how much they were a screwup.

Those who taught me along the way, also taught me that there is a place for the tastefully-placed snide remark or sarcastic reply.  It tells the recipient to suck back, reload, and think before engaging mouth (or keyboard).  Maybe even do a bit of reading to find an answer that I could've found myself.

You could sticky a bunch of stuff in the Naval forums, but it wouldn't change anything.  It won't change the fact that a large number (but not all) people are coming here looking for instant gratification, and can't be bothered to read a bunch of threads to find the answers they're looking for.  Were I considering a career in the Navy today, I'd have perused just about every thread in the Naval forums.  Total cost: 1 mouse button.  But that's me...the guy who's still around in the uniform 26 plus years later, not the guy who bails after a three-year BE (or sooner!).

Alas, this problem is not isolated to just the Navy, unfortunately.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2010, 09:16:54 »
Evolve or get out of the way old salt  ;)

I am trying ... but just don't get the lingo.

To make matters worse, I have more than 30 years naval training working against me. Always remember:

"Air Forces are 100 years of progress unimpeded by tradition, while Navies are 1000 years of tradition unimpeded by progress!"

;D  ;D  ;D

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #134 on: October 14, 2010, 10:07:19 »
Occam,

I fail to see how asking questions about a prospective career choice makes someone part of this generational epidemic, as you would have us believe, of "instant gratification". In fact I can argue the opposite. The person in question is making a big choice in their life and should weight it thoroughly. Part of that process is asking questions, no matter how invalid you (Occam) think they are. I think it shows sound judgment and the ability to analyze a situation or possible situation before getting in over your head.   

As for your students wanting test questions well that is not what this person did. You cant fault the originator because 20 years ago in CFNES some OD asked you what was on the QL3 Stoker exam.

How often do people ask you questions about your job/trade ? I bet it happens all the time by civis and fellow military members. I know, right now, out here in Panjaway disct I get asked all the time about life in the Navy, and sometimes I get the same questions over and over and over again *gasp*. It doesn't bother me, the people asking are interested or seem interested and perhaps they are thinking about OTing to a Naval trade, so I answer honestly and frankly not hiding the bad from the good, but that's just me and how I handle myself.

As for your personal life story and your experience with your recruiting process, well congrats. You did it all on your own no questions, ifs, ands or buts, good for you. Some people are not like that Occam, perhaps hes unsure if the military is for him. It would sound to me that you new you wanted to be in the  military from the get go or that you just didn't care what you did when you got in, again good for you your enrollment was easy peasy not everyone is like that.

The military is a living breathing organization that constantly needs to stay relevant and recognize that the people we recruited in the 70s and 80s are not the same as today. I would argue that the average recruits level of actual intellect is much higher now than it has ever been, you don't see many grade 10 grads anymore, and thank god! These people are smart and they don't want to be duped into something like we used to do to people. I would be horrified if my son or daughter walked whimsically into a CFRC and joined as fast as you did and without thought of the consequences.

As I told oldgateboatdriver evolve or get out of the way my friend, and I do mean that with the kindest sincerity.

Perhaps this does deserve a thread of its own...But maybe I should do a search first eh and see if its been touched already wouldn't want to piss people off now... ::)

Back to Bos'n talk... Anyone have any Bananas ? lol

« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 10:14:40 by Halifax Tar »

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #135 on: October 14, 2010, 10:17:16 »
"Air Forces are 100 years of progress unimpeded by tradition, while Navies are 1000 years of tradition unimpeded by progress!"

I have never heard it put that way but I love it, That should be on a t-shirt! :D :D :D

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #136 on: October 21, 2010, 06:26:35 »
Good Luck with it Mac.  I have many Bos'ns as friends.  Great bunch of critters.  You'll enjoy it.

Offline davidsonr_91

• Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2012, 23:27:13 »
Interested in doing an OT to boatswain, how full or low is the trade? How long does it take to do the 3's and how long does it take after your 3's do you go on your 5's?  How many times a year do they run 3's?  Is it a structured class type 3's or is it mostly OJT?   Any info on this would be awesome and a pm would be cool to. 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 23:29:57 by davidsonr_91 »

Offline SeaCorporal

• Rate Post
« Reply #138 on: May 28, 2012, 00:30:40 »
A quick trip to the recruiting website will answer most of your questions. As for how full it is, only the recruiters will know or your BPSO.
Sailors belong on ships....Ships belong at sea....Land is a navigational hazard which shall be avoided at all costs

Offline davidsonr_91

• Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: May 28, 2012, 07:09:21 »
Thanks for the company answer there chief I'm looking for more detailed answers than the recruiting website is willing to give but thanks for coming out.lol

Offline Occam

Go RRRRRRRREDBLACKS!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #140 on: May 28, 2012, 08:16:34 »
Thanks for the company answer there chief I'm looking for more detailed answers than the recruiting website is willing to give but thanks for coming out.lol

The answers are all there on the recruiting website, or can be found here on this site.  Why are you giving someone a hard time for telling you in not so many words that you need to take it upon yourself to look up this information?

You want the OT, don't expect everything handed to you on a silver platter.

Offline SeaCorporal

• Rate Post
« Reply #141 on: May 28, 2012, 09:54:43 »

I agree, I can talk from first hand experience with an OT. You have to be the one willing to do the work , because at the end of the day you are just another file and they couldn't honestly care less about that file. You have to go visit the BPSO and call them and a regular basis to keep your file moving. It involves more work than just going and saying " I want to be a BOSN now". Coming on here and just asking questions because you want "more detailed" answers is just and excuse for laziness.  If you want to be spoon fed everything in your life, like you want here then I suggest you VR. That's not what the CF is about.
Sailors belong on ships....Ships belong at sea....Land is a navigational hazard which shall be avoided at all costs

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #142 on: May 28, 2012, 10:05:46 »

Wind your neck in, you got advice. Just because it wasn't exactly what you were looking for, which might not even be available via these means (as pointed out), doesn't give you the right to flap your gums like that.

Scott
Staff
Be nice for no reason.

Offline Marlin Spike

• Rate Post
« Reply #143 on: December 17, 2012, 17:27:19 »
Everything you've wanted to ask the Buffer, but are scared to ask.
CBM :cdn:
The Buffer is Back,  Any questions?

Offline cemalyukselir

• Rate Post
« Reply #144 on: November 26, 2015, 00:44:00 »
Ok. To start off I applied for infantry reserves  because of my left eye qualifying me for  V4 in the vision standards. And the only suitable occupation I got left with is BOSN(Boatswain). Now my first question here is , what are the chances of me switching trades for the Reserves because I'm not a fan of the water so much,  if any chance I want to try supply technician or weapons technician. And for the BOSN reserves. Are they away very often ?  Also where does the BMQ for Reserves usually take place ? I live in Edmonton.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #145 on: November 26, 2015, 08:17:04 »
Ok. To start off I applied for infantry reserves  because of my left eye qualifying me for  V4 in the vision standards. And the only suitable occupation I got left with is BOSN(Boatswain). Now my first question here is , what are the chances of me switching trades for the Reserves because I'm not a fan of the water so much,  if any chance I want to try supply technician or weapons technician. And for the BOSN reserves. Are they away very often ?  Also where does the BMQ for Reserves usually take place ? I live in Edmonton.

You can apply for any occupation where the Vision standards are V4.   
--->  http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-medical-occupations/officer-ncm-minimum-medical-standards.page

If you are interested in Bosn, that occupation belongs to the Naval Reserve and in your area that means HMCS Nonsuch.  Reserves do BMQ in various locations and it all depends on both the Unit and Element.  Naval Reserve BMQ is held annually in Quebec City.

Off the top of my head and only a guess but did you bother to contact a local Reserve Unit in your area before applying online?

JOINING THE RESERVES
If you are interested in joining the Reserves, your first step is to contact one of your local Reserve units to find out which positions are available and then apply online.
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #146 on: November 26, 2015, 08:22:13 »
Also where does the BMQ for Reserves usually take place ?

Reservists usually begin training in their Naval Reserve Davison to prepare them for the Basic Military Naval Qualification course. Following basic training and naval environmental training, Boatswains complete their occupation qualification at either the Canadian Forces Fleet School in Esquimalt, British Columbia or the Canadian Forces Naval Operations School in Halifax, Nova Scotia for approximately nine weeks.
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/boatswain-14#train

A Guide to BMNQ (Basic Military Naval Qualification)
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=114955.0

And for the BOSN reserves. Are they away very often ? 

Part-time employment is normally in the Boatswain’s NRD; some part-time training is conducted on weekends at naval schools or in ships afloat.  Casual full-time employment in ships and at naval schools is normally available in the summer months.
http://www.forces.ca/en/job/boatswain-14#parttimeemployment

« Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:11:52 by mariomike »
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww

Offline runormal

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #147 on: November 26, 2015, 08:40:02 »
Now my first question here is , what are the chances of me switching trades for the Reserves because I'm not a fan of the water so much, 

For the love of god do not join the reserves just for the sake of getting in. First you typically need to qualified in your old trade, then you need find a unit to transfer to that has a spot for you. From there you need support from your COC, the gaining units COC as well as Brigade this takes time a lot of time. Then you will need to re qualify in your new trade burning summers that you could be used to gain actual experience in your program of study or an opportunity to take PLQ.

Alternatively you could get laser eye surgery now wait 6 months to reapply and get your v1 category.

You could also wait until spots open in the trades that you want in other units.

Also if you think that you will be able to easily change trades when transferring from reserve - reg force you are in for a world of hurt. Even in the reserves find a job that you will think you will like for a career.

Offline ezcompany

• Rate Post
« Reply #148 on: March 28, 2017, 15:32:57 »
Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could tell me the daily life of a Boatswain. I know in the Army after you complete all training you get assigned to a base and can live on or off base and you pretty much settle there until your forced to move. I was wondering how it worked for the Navy and as a Boatswain in particular.

Thanks!!

Offline Sabaton

• Rate Post
« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2017, 07:01:08 »
home port routine
residence:off base
working hours :0800 to1600
task done often: grinding painting
          maintenance of rope and working
           space. verification of life preserver
           running small boat engine to
            ensure they start easily.cleaning
            station .cleanibg small arm,clean reversible eye pad .shovels or wash upper decks

task accomplished once in a while
 rigging job (with chain hoist and other tool)
driving small boat in harbour.crane operating,maintenance of RAS equipmen

duty ;every 8 to 16 day were you spent the night onboard in case of emergency i seen it go down to every 4 days.

At Sea
from OS TO LS (3 TO 4 YEARS)
working shift about 12.5 hours days
 no week end unless in foreign port.
sometime rest period are cut short by round robin , excercise or onboard emergency.also second duty such has ship diver or NBP will take time from rest period on few occassion

job for the 12 hour a day is watch ob deck .3 different position

lookout: stare out the window to found stuff other than water to look at .
helsman :drive the ship  mostky stare at wall 2 feet away from you and match the number by turning a small wheel.
bosnmate work the intercom system do routine pipe and emergency pipe uf needed

truly watch on deck are pretty boring the job gets fun when the ship does RAS or anchoring launching small boat ..50 cal shoot

trade advancement
average 6 to 8 years service to get MS
2 to 3 year has MS to get PO2

but Promotion really depends on your PER and connection and above all your work ethic.

msg in pv if you want more info