Author Topic: German WWI wreck Scharnhorst discovered off Falklands  (Read 1290 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
German WWI wreck Scharnhorst discovered off Falklands
« on: December 05, 2019, 14:05:10 »
German WWI wreck Scharnhorst discovered off Falklands

The wreck of a World War One German armoured cruiser has been located off the Falkland Islands, where it was sunk by the British navy 105 years ago.

SMS Scharnhorst was the flagship of German Vice-Admiral Maximilian Graf von Spee's East Asia Squadron.

It was sunk on 8 December 1914 with more than 800 men on board, including Vice-Adm von Spee himself. The leader of the search for the wreckage said the moment of discovery was "extraordinary".

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-50670743?SThisFB&fbclid=IwAR0EHWkIExX5a5Yx9YhDeWmeyI9PfnoGNz7Pp-Rnju9_jrT9LIdfCbSQzbg

"Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men." Daniel Dravot

Offline MarkOttawa

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Two birthdays
    • The 3Ds Blog
Ça explique, mais ça n'excuse pas.

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: German WWI wreck Scharnhorst discovered off Falklands
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2019, 23:00:22 »
I found that Mr Von Spee saying that the loss of the Admiral and sons would not be in vain, but they did die in vain as Germany lost WW1. Perhaps I just understand the sentiment. I would have said that died doing their duty to their King and nation.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: German WWI wreck Scharnhorst discovered off Falklands
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 02:43:08 »
I found that Mr Von Spee saying that the loss of the Admiral and sons would not be in vain, but they did die in vain as Germany lost WW1. Perhaps I just understand the sentiment. I would have said that died doing their duty to their King and nation.

I know a few guys who did not die in vain, and they did their duty for a fairly ambiguous cause. So I'm thinking that's not a bad qualification.
"Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men." Daniel Dravot