Author Topic: Soldiers Give Way to Computers After Trump Slashes Korea Drills  (Read 711 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Soldiers Give Way to Computers After Trump Slashes Korea Drills

In recent years, thousands of U.S. and South Korean soldiers met face-to-face on a mock battlefield to prepare for a potential attack from North Korea.

Now, after President Donald Trump scrapped the biggest joint exercises, the bulk of the newly designed “Alliance” drill taking place through March 14 will involve senior officers sitting in front of computers for what’s known as a “command post exercise.” While the army won’t provide exact figures, many soldiers who took part in previous years will be on the sidelines.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-03-05/soldiers-give-way-to-computers-after-trump-slashes-korea-drills

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
Re: Soldiers Give Way to Computers After Trump Slashes Korea Drills
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 00:05:21 »
Computer simulations work for commanders and their staffs, but I would like to see US and ROK forces train together.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 00:47:50 »
Computer simulations work for commanders and their staffs, but I would like to see US and ROK forces train together.

Maybe they can lease training areas from the North Koreans? I mean, Trump cold make it seem like a shrewd business move :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 10:18:27 »
Training areas are not a problem Its how to interact with the host military without upsetting the North.Probably the air forces and navies wonnt have their hands tied too badly. Since the North hasn't shuttered anything I don't think these large scale exercises will be stopped long.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 12:18:35 »
Training areas are not a problem Its how to interact with the host military without upsetting the North.Probably the air forces and navies wonnt have their hands tied too badly. Since the North hasn't shuttered anything I don't think these large scale exercises will be stopped long.

It's an important part of a complex negotiation process, for sure.