Author Topic: October Crisis: 50 years on  (Read 3547 times)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: October Crisis: 50 years on
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2020, 14:59:09 »
I am certain that M. Blanchet will be happy, for his part, to apologize for the Murder M. Laporte and the kidnapping of Mr. Cross. You know- the acts that sparked the War Measures Act....

To put on my oft used pedantic hat, the "murder" of M. Laporte was not one of the acts that sparked the imposition of the War Measures Act (WMA).  The cabinet made the decision to invoke the WMA on 16 October 1970 and it came into effect at 0400 hrs the following day.  M. Laporte, who had been kidnapped a week earlier, was murdered on 17 October and his body found later that day.

What part did M. Blanchet, who was five years old at the time, play in the events being discussed and for which he should apologize?  You may disagree with his politics, but that is what he is playing (which is his job) and his audience are his constituents back home.  It is made relatively more juicy by the ancestry of the current PM (whose politics you may also disagree with), but there is precedent for requesting an apology for governmental overstepping due to the WMA.  In 1988, the PM (Mr. Harper Mulroney) apologized on behalf of the Government of Canada for the abuses permitted by the WMA against Japanese Canadians during the Second World War.  It only took a little over 40 years for that to happen.

While I'm not equating the grievances of Quebecois about the legal system abuses of 1970 to the internment of Japanese Canadians and the confiscation of their property, the abuses of 1970 have been documented.  It is questionable whether the response to the events of October 1970 required the invocation of the War Measures Act.  While I remember October 1970, the effects on a high school student in Newfoundland were nil, it's probably a different story for a Quebecois of similar (or earlier) vintage.

Along with the discussion of the political climate of the era with a history of acts of violence by the FLQ (the effectiveness of which has been questioned), one should remember what was likely a underlying mindset of many parts of Canada (compare to similar views of 1941-45) that is well articulated by Chantal Hébert in this article from 2015 when other "anti-terrorist" legislation was being contemplated.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/03/10/conservatives-risk-trapping-themselves-in-own-web-of-fear-hbert.html
The other lesson is that it is a slippery slope that links collective fear with the selective fear of minority communities.

There was a time, not so long ago in this country, when it was fashionable in some quarters to suggest that if one scratched the surface of a francophone Canadian one would likely find a Quebec nationalist and, under that veneer, a separatist, and, below that latter surface, a potential terrorist.

It is on the basis of that dubious rationale that scores of law-abiding Quebecers were arrested without cause under the War Measures Act in the fall of 1970 and that Canada’s security services gave themselves a licence to play dirty tricks on legal organizations such as the Parti Québécois over the same period.

It was not limited to Quebec. When École secondaire Étienne-Brûlé, Toronto’s first French-language public high school opened in 1970, some of its opponents — including a few North York neighbours — considered it little more than a training school for terrorists!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 15:46:30 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline CloudCover

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2020, 15:15:44 »
Mulroney in 1988 re: Japanese apology.
+300
... Move!! ...

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2020, 15:23:53 »
Mulroney in 1988 re: Japanese apology.

Aluminum mess tin syndrome and incomplete review before posting.  Have corrected.  Thank you.

(Mr. Harper, on behalf of the Government of Canada, apologized for Residential Schools, not an excuse but an explanation how incomplete memory works)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 15:31:23 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • Google Sites Wolf Riedel
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2020, 15:38:12 »
A sidebar, and perhaps FJAG also recalls this, the Feds were most annoyed when a mayor in BC, perhaps in Vancouver, used the War Measures Act to clean out a "hippie colony" in one area of his city. Technically he was acting within his authority under the act, but rather than being as right as rain, he was just about as wrong as freezing rain.

Interesting. I don't recall this but being deployed in the streets of Montreal as the time I was slightly preoccupied with local issues.  ;D

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" and "Mark Winters, CID" book series at:
https://sites.google.com/view/wolfriedel
Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/WolfRiedelAuthor/