Author Topic: Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017, R.I.P.  (Read 953 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017, R.I.P.
« on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:24 »
This from the BBC:
Actor Sir Roger Moore, best known for playing James Bond, has died aged 89, his family has announced.

He played the famous spy in seven Bond films including Live and Let Die and the Spy Who Loved Me.

Sir Roger's family confirmed the news on Twitter, saying he had died after "a short but brave battle with cancer".

The statement, from his children, read: "Thank you Pops for being you, and being so very special to so many people."

"With the heaviest of hearts, we must share the awful news that our father, Sir Roger Moore, passed away today. We are all devastated," they said in a Twitter post ...
Statement from family attached (source) -- more via Google News here.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Sir Roger Moore, 1927-2017, R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:44 »
Though he played (some memorable, some unmemorable) military parts during his acting career, here he is playing a bit part as 2nd Lieutenant Moore RASC.

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2017, 16:47:05 »
While everyone remembers him as James Bond, and I watched all his movies as James Bond, I still have fond childhood memories him as the suave Simon Templar (aka The Saint) and Moore and Tony Curtis in The Persuaders.
Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 17:14:01 »
Just HAD to share the attached New Yorker cartoon by Kim Warp (source)

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 19:03:32 »
 class act he will be missed.

Online medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 22:11:50 »
While everyone remembers him as James Bond, and I watched all his movies as James Bond, I still have fond childhood memories him as the suave Simon Templar (aka The Saint) and Moore and Tony Curtis in The Persuaders.

I actually preferred Sean Connery as Bond...my favorite Roger Moore part was from "The Wild Geese" (oddly, a guy named Sean).

RIP.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 22:23:19 »
The best Bond movie was OHMSS - the only one with any real character arc for Bond.

But Roger Moore set the standard as the debonair, unplussed Bond.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 07:18:24 »
I liked Mr Moore better as The Saint, but then I like most of his non-Bond stuff.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:09:25 »
Wasn't Moore in the Richard Burton mercenary movie Wild Geese ? Excellent movie.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:09:48 »
Wasn't Moore in the Richard Burton mercenary movie Wild Geese ? Excellent movie.
Yup ...

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:28:23 »
When I was a wee gal, my Dad watched lots of the James Bond movies and I've since become a fan.  I've always said that Roger Moore was my first "crush".   :nod:
I was pumped on basic when we would always report with the last 3 digits of our service #.  Can you guess mine? ;D
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline Kat Stevens

beth am dyrnu braf yn y gwddf?

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 11:50:07 »
RIP Sir Roger.  He played Bond as a suave sophistocat, something he was never meant to be. He wa played best as a wolf in a tux by Connery. Subsequent Bonds stayed in the Moore model, but Craig seems to have brought down and dirty Bond back. Regardless, sad loss.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats