Author Topic: Frustrated with ULO  (Read 4345 times)

Offline paranoidandroid

• Rate Post
Frustrated with ULO
« on: October 27, 2016, 21:34:22 »
Hi, I recently enrolled in one of the officer training programs and have been extremely frustrated by my ULO and their lack of competence. This might be a bit harsh, but do not seem to be very informed about my training program and have repeatedly failed to respond to my emails and phone calls. In fact, even after countless attempt to confirm my initial clear in appointment, I was left without a response and didn't know what time or where to report on my first day. I am currently waiting on a time-sensitive inquiry and yet again, my emails and phone calls seem to be utterly useless.

I am concerned because I know that my ULO will be my point of contact for a number of time-sensitive issues in the near future and I feel that I cannot rely on them. What can I do in my situation? Can I request a different ULO? Do I really just have to suck it up and keep pestering this person to do their job?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Frustrated with ULO
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 22:25:19 »
For reference, perhaps ULO will be merged with,

All Things Civilian U (merged)
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,45419.0/nowap.html
12 pages.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 22:29:39 by mariomike »

Online Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 22:34:23 »
I feel your pain. I've been trying to get the ULO to answer a question regarding PLD for a member attached to my unit, and they will simply not respond.

Their chain of command structure makes no sense either. The whole ULO seems to be an orderly room that answers to a Sgt, and that's it. Technically, there is a Capt who is in their chain of command, but he doesn't actually seem to be involved in any way with the ULO itself.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2016, 22:56:29 »
The ULO structure is one of my pet peeves.

In a previous job, CMP expected me and my staff to look after 54 university students spread over a province with no extra financial or personnel resources allocated, on top of our day jobs.

Some of the files were exceedingly complex and like any other demographic, some of the students developed quite "interesting" problems that took hours, days or weeks of staff time to unravel.

So to the OP, your ULO is probably a one man/woman band attempting to juggles dozens of files, on top of other duties. It sucks, but there it is.

Offline paranoidandroid

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 16:25:35 »
Thanks for the responses. It looks like there isn't much I can do.

In a previous job, CMP expected me and my staff to look after 54 university students spread over a province with no extra financial or personnel resources allocated, on top of our day jobs.

I appreciate that it's a hectic job. It's too bad that ULOs can't be designated to liaise with students from a specific geographical area or program of training.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 19:11:37 »
I appreciate that it's a hectic job. It's too bad that ULOs can't be designated to liaise with students from a specific geographical area or program of training.

For the most part, the assignment or designation of a ULO is based on numbers and generally is considered to be a "secondary duty" at most locations.  Nevertheless, you should be afforded the same treatment as any member of the CAF and administered accordingly.

I'd suggest you check your SEM Guide (Subsidized Education Management) and address your issues to your Regional SEM Manager.  If your local supporting office is not helping, they will surely become involved.

ULO Duties are not that demanding and work is sporadic at best, with Sep-Nov being the busiest and it's mostly claims.

Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 22:19:26 »
For the most part, the assignment or designation of a ULO is based on numbers and generally is considered to be a "secondary duty" at most locations.  Nevertheless, you should be afforded the same treatment as any member of the CAF and administered accordingly.

I'd suggest you check your SEM Guide (Subsidized Education Management) and address your issues to your Regional SEM Manager.  If your local supporting office is not helping, they will surely become involved.

ULO Duties are not that demanding and work is sporadic at best, with Sep-Nov being the busiest and it's mostly claims.

Disagree strongly with your final sentence, at least in my experience. Perhaps I was unlucky, but I had to deal with a number of tricky and time consuming ULO files. The Regional SEM manager (when he could found) was usually unhelpful.