Author Topic: Canadian sea cadets' mistake sparks missing persons' search in the UK  (Read 3957 times)

Offline S.M.A.

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
 :facepalm:

link

Canadian sea cadets mistake UK town names, spark missing persons alert
By Lindsay Jolivet

A simple mistake, the mix-up of a town's name, lead two Canadian sea cadets and their leader about three hours from where they were supposed to be on Monday and launched a national missing persons search in the United Kingdom.

The Daily Telegraph reported Mervyn Morash, a leader in the Royal Canadian Sea Cadets corps from Chester, NS, along with 14-year-old Alexander Rhodenizer and Rachel Nauss, lost the rest of their group during their travels to meet a sister corps in Chester-le-Street, Durham.

Not worrying, they simply boarded a train from London to where they thought everyone was heading, the Telegraph reported. But they made a geographical error that entangled police in the UK and authorities in Canada in a day-long search.

Morash and the cadets boarded a train to Chester, about 34 km south of Liverpool, but they were supposed to head to Chester-le-Street in Durham, 280 kilometres away.

They didn't have a cell phone, according to the story, and it took police nearly 24-hours to find them, but they arrived safely in Chester-le-Street the next day.

A spokesperson for the Atlantic cadets told the Telegraph the organization had reminded cadets about being careful on their travels.

Perhaps we shouldn't be too hard on the wandering cadets; surely others have confused UK towns with confusingly similar names, for example, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne and Newcastle-Under-Lyme.

And it could have been worse — they could have ended up in Colchester, nearly 450 kilometres away from Chester-le-Street.

Our Country
--------------------------------
"A leader is best when people barely know he exists, when his work is done, his aim fulfilled, they will say: We did it ourselves."   - Lao Zi (老子)
-------------------------------------------
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
There's a reason people say "time spent in recce is seldom wasted".
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline OldTanker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
These things happen. I recall a bus load of "trained" Recce soldiers directing a bus to the wrong Munster in Germany. I mean, there are many to choose from, but sheesh. Time spent in Recce indeed is never wasted.