Author Topic: Married but paying for rations while on course.  (Read 80864 times)

Offline Bbmoveup

• Rate Post
Re: Married but paying for rations while on course.
« Reply #125 on: June 09, 2017, 10:31:54 »
Thanks everyone. Everything you all said is what I could find I just wanted to confirm.

So far I'm ripping through the process.

Offline Joker27th

• Rate Post
Cost of living on base when leaving wife and child at home
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2017, 21:44:48 »
I've heard from multiple people recently that a new policy has been implemented recently that if you leave you wife (and in my case child as well) behind are are paying for mortgage or rent, and have to live on base temporarily, that your quarters and rations are provided at no charge. I've even heard that's the case at basic. On the recruiting website the only thing i see is that if your married or common law its $100 cheaper per month compared to a single person at basic. But those same people say that's the old policy.

Wondering if anyone who is currently in basic or finished it within the last year can shed some light on this for me. ~$600 a month is a lot of additional money to spend when you are already paying for a home for your family back home.

Thanks in advance!

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Cost of living on base when leaving wife and child at home
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2017, 22:52:29 »
I've heard from multiple people recently that a new policy has been implemented recently that if you leave you wife (and in my case child as well) behind are are paying for mortgage or rent, and have to live on base temporarily, that your quarters and rations are provided at no charge. I've even heard that's the case at basic. On the recruiting website the only thing i see is that if your married or common law its $100 cheaper per month compared to a single person at basic. But those same people say that's the old policy.

Wondering if anyone who is currently in basic or finished it within the last year can shed some light on this for me. ~$600 a month is a lot of additional money to spend when you are already paying for a home for your family back home.

Thanks in advance!

Right from the Canadian Forces Leadership and Recruit School website.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-basic-training.page

Things you need to know

•For Non-Commissioned Members: If you are single, you must pay rations and quarters throughout your stay at the School at a cost of $627.80 per month. If you are married/common-law, you must pay rations at a cost of $527.87 per month. This will be deducted directly from your pay.

•For Officers:If you are single, you must pay rations and quarters throughout your stay at the School at a cost of $648.41 per month.If you are married/common-law, you must pay rations at a cost of $527.87 per month. This will be deducted directly from your pay.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 22:57:04 by Eye In The Sky »
"...Pilot, Radar...turn right, heading...3-6-5..."

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: September 29, 2017, 09:23:40 »
Would he be eligible for separation expense?

The only line from the CBI that has me wondering is:

208.997(3) (Entitlement): a member...is entitled to SE if all of the following conditions are satisfied:
d. the member is entitled to a move of (D)HG&E at public expense to the new place of duty;

Every other line, from a-h, seem to be satisfied.

Since the member has been attach-posted to CFLRS, I don't think he would be "entitled to a move of HG&E". At least that's my take.

He would be entitled to PLD at his principle residence, however.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2017, 09:40:07 »
I think the way of business now is they are posted to CFLRS for trg;  if they were attach posted or TD, they would get free R & Q.  Something like that. 

IIRC, SE also was axed when the policy changes happened a few years back.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2017, 10:32:02 »
I think the way of business now is they are posted to CFLRS for trg;  if they were attach posted or TD, they would get free R & Q.  Something like that. 

IIRC, SE also was axed when the policy changes happened a few years back.

But SE is still in the CBIs? I just looked it up? Or do you just mean that they modified it so that it's very hard to actually be eligible for it?
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline BeyondTheNow

I came. I saw. I made it awkward...

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
Re: Cost of living on base when leaving wife and child at home
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2017, 11:33:42 »
...On the recruiting website the only thing i see is that if your married or common law its $100 cheaper per month compared to a single person at basic. But those same people say that's the old policy.

Thanks in advance!

I left CFLRS in Dec of 2015. As of that time, the only benefit in terms of less money being deducted for married or common-law is what you stated. The recruit who was in a married or common-law relationship didn't have to pay for quarters each month (the approx. $100), but still had to pay for rations each month (the approx. $575).

I spoke with a member who is now in their 10th week of course. Nothing seems to have changed. 
"Stop worrying about getting back to who you were before it all went wrong. To heal is to understand that the person you've since become is the one who's most capable of doing whatever it is you were put here to do."~SR

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #132 on: September 29, 2017, 15:51:49 »
I still find it interesting that the PM is compelled to fly on military air but he only has to reimburse to the cost of what he would have paid to fly himself.  In contrast, the military member who is compelled to live in quarters without means to prepare food is compelled to pay not only the cost of food but also the full cost for somebody to prepare the food.  Two people compelled to use a means more expensive than they would have chosen, but only one is subsidized for the imposed expense over which they have no control. 
 :stirpot:

The rules do not agree with me, but I think troops entitled to free quarters should be subsidized for the cost of food preparation if they are not provided quarters with the means to cook their own food.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2017, 20:29:54 »
But SE is still in the CBIs? I just looked it up? Or do you just mean that they modified it so that it's very hard to actually be eligible for it?

The info starts at Reply 6 from DAA.

https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,108923.0.html

Online Dolphin_Hunter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: September 30, 2017, 07:21:10 »
Do sailors pay for rations while the ship is alongside? 

They get a free lunch and soup everyday!

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #135 on: October 04, 2017, 10:52:40 »
Do sailors pay for rations while the ship is alongside? 

They get a free lunch and soup everyday!

Lunch is provided free of charge to all members of the ship's company on normal working days in home port.  The Duty Watch gets breakfast and supper as well.  Anyone else wanting to eat breakfast/supper or lunch on weekends are supposed to pay (since no one lives on board anymore, this is no longer really an issue).  While at sea or in any port other than home port, all meals are provided.

There is no additional ration for soup - it's part of the lunch ration, just served earlier.  Keep in mind that units are allocated a set amount of money per day to feed their personnel, based on their circumstances.  How that unit chooses to break it up and use it is up to them.

There is actually some sound reasoning for the "free" lunch (is anything really free?) and none of it has anything to do with giving the sailors a break or benefit:

1)  There are no adequate dining facilities in proximity to any of the ships in either of HMC Dockyards. The number of personnel in the ships would overwhelm those facilities that do exist.

2)  Sailors are prohibited from "brown-bagging" because there is no place to store their lunches in such a manner as to not attract vermin.  This is a very real issue as the cost of fumigating a ship (which is a refit-level operation) in order to combat roaches or rats far exceeds the cost of feeding the ship's company.

3)  In theory at least, sailors are not supposed to leave the ship during the workday.  Departments generally have authority to allow it though.

In short, if you can't leave to get lunch (or there is no place to go) and you can't bring your own, then the Crown has an obligation to feed you.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.