Author Topic: Cadets and the C7, and other rifles. Let me end the discussion once and for all  (Read 31197 times)

Offline Medic65726

• Rate Post
  • Flight Paramedic
In my first years in Army Cadets, we used to have a couple of Range EX a year firing the FNC1. Even carried the FN around in the bush on FTX. Looks like those days are long gone.

Offline RemembranceDay

• Rate Post
  • Cap'n jack is back
Did I learn the principles of marksmanship with the air rifle? Yes.
Did I get my arse whipped into shape? Yes.
Did I learn first aid? Yes.
Did I learn discipline and drill? Yes.
Did I have the time of my life? You bet.

And etcetera. Plus honestly, as one of the NCOs in charge of teaching marksmanship at my old corps and working with some other local corps... I would be terrified at giving some cadets a pointy stick, let alone an assault rifle.

Exact same here in Sea. I agree on the fact about giving some people C7's... Even more so with COD these days.

Offline lethalLemon

• Rate Post
  • UP THE DUKES!
Cadets have the opportunity to go on Range Ex with their affiliated unit to participate on C7 familiarization when permission is granted by ACO and Region CO and the AfU CO - only open to Silver Star in-training/qualified cadets and higher. Cadets also will receive C7 familiarization (3 days of handling classes on IAs and rifle operation and 1 day shoot) when they attend Summer Training at the CLI (Cadet Leader Instructor) level - which is now the Instructor Level (Silver Star and up).
Pain is temporary. Pride is eternal.

Offline lethalLemon

• Rate Post
  • UP THE DUKES!
Also, I've known many a Sea Cadet unit in both large well-fundraised urban centres AND small towns have cadets sent on a week sailing on various HMC Ships and frequently. I don't know what it is, but ever Sea Cadet I talked to over my 6 years as a cadet and even to this day, do so much more than Air and Army cadets (they just never learn how to live in anything less than a 4 star hotel with catered steak dinners... Oh the joys of being Army  :) )

Offline RemembranceDay

• Rate Post
  • Cap'n jack is back
Also, I've known many a Sea Cadet unit in both large well-fundraised urban centres AND small towns have cadets sent on a week sailing on various HMC Ships and frequently. I don't know what it is, but ever Sea Cadet I talked to over my 6 years as a cadet and even to this day, do so much more than Air and Army cadets (they just never learn how to live in anything less than a 4 star hotel with catered steak dinners... Oh the joys of being Army  :) )

Much agreed. Being a Sea-er myself, I have friends in the other two elements. When we compare what the different corps/squads/platoons(or whatever they are) do, it always comes to the findings that we (Sea) do so much more.

But I still wouldn't mind shooting a C7...

Offline posv3

• Rate Post
Much agreed. Being a Sea-er myself, I have friends in the other two elements. When we compare what the different corps/squads/platoons(or whatever they are) do, it always comes to the findings that we (Sea) do so much more.

But I still wouldn't mind shooting a C7...

Corps for Sea and Army, Squadrons for Air

Offline formercadet1029

• Rate Post
Cadets have the opportunity to go on Range Ex with their affiliated unit to participate on C7 familiarization when permission is granted by ACO and Region CO and the AfU CO - only open to Silver Star in-training/qualified cadets and higher.
This is true. However, here in southwestern Ontario it's quite difficult for some cadets in this area to get on these. This is because many of those Range Ex weekends that the various reserve units around here partake in, take place up near Barrie. This is technically out of our region so the area cadet office is reluctant to make it happen. Lots of hoops to jump through to get one of our senior cadets on something like this, which in my opinion should be no problem. If a cadet puts the time in and is willing to make it all the way to being silver star qualified, their should be incentives like this available to them. In my opinion there are already enough problems involved in keeping senior cadets interested enough to stay and run the gauntlet of the cadet program. Keeping things like this out of their reach only adds fuel to that little itch that they may get to quit. Just my 2 cents.

Offline lethalLemon

• Rate Post
  • UP THE DUKES!
Corps for Sea and Army, Squadrons for Air

Corps is for the entirety of the Royal Canadian Army Cadets, which are broken down into units that (depending on size) will consist of more than one company (Infantry affiliated units for example) which then are broken into platoons and then sections at the smallest. Units with affiliation to armoured regiments, engineers, or Signals/Comm Res will consist of Squadrons, Troops and sections.

Offline N. McKay

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Each army cadet unit is a corps although, as you note, certain ones use affiliation-specific terms.  But it's correct to say that (with made-up numbers for illustration) there are 800 cadet units in Canada of which 400 are air cadet squadrons, 250 are army cadet corps, and 150 are sea cadet corps.