• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Freedom Convoy protests [Split from All things 2019-nCoV]

CBC News has learned Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will inform the provinces he will invoke the Emergencies Act to give the government extra powers to deal with ongoing convoy protests across Canada. Trudeau told his caucus there are no plans to deploy the military.

Taken from CBC FB page just now

I said it before. They lost the narrative when they overstayed their welcome.
I think that is true for the good people of Ottawa which includes the herds of politicians and civil servants that live there.

For the rest of Canada - it couldn't care less that Wellington is blocked up. It's the hypocritical stupidity of blocking border crossings, stopping commerce and the tens of thousands of jobs associated with that which was the straw that broke the camel's back.

🍻

I think that is true for the good people of Ottawa which includes the herds of politicians and civil servants that live there.

For the rest of Canada - it couldn't care less that Wellington is blocked up. It's the hypocritical stupidity of blocking border crossings, stopping commerce and the tens of thousands of jobs associated with that which was the straw that broke the camel's back.

🍻
Agreed.

From the Angus-Reid Institute today, this caught my attention.

In the weeks since they inserted themselves directly into the conversation about restrictions, the protesters have seen the pendulum swing against their point of view.

It’s been mentioned before that there is a very dangerous small group leading and infiltrating this and taking advantage of the chaos.

You wait just a wee bit pal, someone is gonna defend these momos.

This isn't the Watts ('65) or Detroit ('67) riots or the FLQ ('70). But those are the benchmarks against which the justification and use of extraordinary response activities will be measured.

On one side there are dangerous small groups who might do something violent and murderous, and on the other side there are dangerous large groups looking for excuses to go witch-hunting who might do something deeply illiberal.

Poll: 3 in 4 Canadians Tell Convoy Protesters To “Go Home Now” – Unhappy With Trudeau’s Handling​

The Freedom Convoy has caught the attention of millions of Canadians. Two thirds of Canadians say they are following it in the news. According to The Angus Reid Institute, if protesters goals were to build support for their demands to end the pandemic-related restrictions, it has utterly backfired.

Canadian politicians in both the government and the official opposition are criticized for harming, not helping events. Two thirds (65%) say Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s comments and actions have worsened the situation. Two-in-five (42%) say this of Candace Bergen, leader of the official opposition.
Two-in-five (42%) say this of Candace Bergen, leader of the official opposition.

I actually had to read then re-read that article to confirm it said that.
I'm still chuckling.

So in this specific instance, what can Military personnel, I'm assuming either infantry or MPs, do that RCMP or local police services can't?
With tow truck drivers refusing to tow trucks, RCEME assets can be called in to move vehicles

You wait just a wee bit pal, someone is gonna defend these momos.
We should treat them as innocent until proven guilty. Plus the guns were probably for self defense or they wanted to keep them close so that if someone broke into their home they wouldn't be able to steal the firearms.😏

Peaceful. Only 11 though, certainly not representative of the rest of the freedom fighters.
Just curious where that was. Sounded like the Coutts border crossing; but they mentioned trailers - so not sure if that meant Tractor-Trailer, or like a mobile home residence type trailer.
The handguns would only be an issue if not properly stored and not at the address registered. Long guns (depending type of course, and the possessors being licensed) ammunition, and body armor aren't issues in Canada, unless you brought the long gun to a public event to cause issues...
Somehow I don't think the Province would give an ATT for a handgun to go to a protest...

We should treat them as innocent until proven guilty. Plus the guns were probably for self defense or they wanted to keep them close so that if someone broke into their home they wouldn't be able to steal the firearms.

Oh they're totally innocent until proven guilty.

But they have no reason to have them for self defense that you or I could reasonably be aware of.

I do not know a tick about firearm laws. I actually feel bad for law abiding gun owners because I know you're gonna get fuckin humped on the back of this. So can someone answer me this: what do you do with your firearms when you go away somewhere? I mean, would it be a legit fear to have the cops come after you if you were robbed while sunning in Cabo?

I suspect "Plus the guns were probably for self defense or they wanted to keep them close so that if someone broke into their home they wouldn't be able to steal the firearms." is sarcasm.

For some people, "because I'm allowed to" is sufficient reason. And it is.

Oh they're totally innocent until proven guilty.

But they have no reason to have them for self defense that you or I could reasonably be aware of.

I do not know a tick about firearm laws. I actually feel bad for law abiding gun owners because I know you're gonna get fuckin humped on the back of this. So can someone answer me this: what do you do with your firearms when you go away somewhere? I mean, would it be a legit fear to have the cops come after you if you were robbed while sunning in Cabo?
When I deployed - I would store them with friends who would be around and keep them in their safe.
As long as you have taken reasonable precautions you really can't get hosed.
A good safe bolted to a concrete floor is a reasonable precaution.
A thin lock box that isn't securely fastened to the structure generally isn't.

No one in their right mind would bring guns with them to a protest in Canada - pretty sure it's in the whole Offenses Against Public Order side of the CCofC as well as the Firearms Act.

I was refreshing myself on the Canadian Criminal Code and ran across a few interesting tidbits.

• R.S., c. C-34, s. 51
Intimidating Parliament or legislature

51 Every one who does an act of violence in order to intimidate Parliament or the legislature of a province is guilty of an indictable offence and liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding fourteen years.

• R.S., c. C-34, s. 64

Unlawful Assemblies and Riots​

Marginal note:Unlawful assembly

• 63 (1) An unlawful assembly is an assembly of three or more persons who, with intent to carry out any common purpose, assemble in such a manner or so conduct themselves when they are assembled as to cause persons in the neighbourhood of the assembly to fear, on reasonable grounds, that they
    • (a) will disturb the peace tumultuously; or
    • (b) will by that assembly needlessly and without reasonable cause provoke other persons to disturb the peace tumultuously.
  • Marginal note:Lawful assembly becoming unlawful
    (2) Persons who are lawfully assembled may become an unlawful assembly if they conduct themselves with a common purpose in a manner that would have made the assembly unlawful if they had assembled in that manner for that purpose.
  • Marginal note:Exception
    (3) Persons are not unlawfully assembled by reason only that they are assembled to protect the dwelling-house of any one of them against persons who are threatening to break and enter it for the purpose of committing an indictable offence therein.

Back