• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

Sure, are we prepared to let young people skip out on taxes as well? Because they cannot vote and are subjected to taxes.
Yes they are - and that's ok. I've paid taxes since I was 16 - so maybe just maybe the 70+ crowd - many of whom live on fixed incomes could use a break.

I know you DGAF

Yes they are - and that's ok. I've paid taxes since I was 16 - so maybe just maybe the 70+ crowd - many of whom live on fixed incomes could use a break.
So you feel that 70+ are a taxpaying citizens and should get the opportunity to vote but are just as ready to dismiss the 16-17 year olds, many of whom are tax paying citizens who don't have the opportunity to vote.

I see.
I know you DGAF
I DGAF about the USA and how they do things, and as such wont drag their nonsense into this thread.

So... Is it:

They are equal but not quite equal enough for you ?

Or

You agree, if they can vote they can hold positions in parliament and the senate ?

I'm just a bit confused by your responses.
Just saying that at one time, folks may have thought something couldn't be done for x, y or z, and eventually, things changed when they realized that maybe the excuses weren't quite as viable as first thought. We'll have to see how this one unfolds.

So you feel that 70+ are a taxpaying citizens and should get the opportunity to vote but are just as ready to dismiss the 16-17 year olds, many of whom are tax paying citizens who don't have the opportunity to vote.

I see.

I DGAF about the USA and how they do things, and as such wont drag their nonsense into this thread.
Did I say 16 and 17 year old people shouldn't vote?

What I'm saying is your proposal is so wrong it begs to be challenged. THEREFORE tell me WHY 70 year old people should be denied the RIGHT to vote.

Did I say 16 and 17 year old people shouldn't vote?

What I'm saying is your proposal is so wrong it begs to be challenged. THEREFORE tell me WHY 70 year old people should be denied the RIGHT to vote.
I'm saying the same logic that people use to say 16-17 years olds shouldn't vote could just as easily be applied to those 70 plus.

Food for thought.

This is my argument, if you add 16-17 year Olds to the voting population, how many would actually participate? Maybe 15% if we are lucky. We need to increase participation as a whole, not just add eligible voters

This is my argument, if you add 16-17 year Olds to the voting population, how many would actually participate? Maybe 15% if we are lucky. We need to increase participation as a whole, not just add eligible voters
Studies have shown the earlier they start they higher the likelihood of maintaining participation for the rest of their lives.

I'd be fine with 14 year olds voting.

Sure they eat the occasional tide pod but adults are dying by falling off cliffs and buildings trying to take pictures.

You could record repeatedly punching yourself in the face while singing the macarania backwards and thousands of adults will copy you on tiktok.

It anything kids might be even less likely to vote for X party simply because X party affiliation is a part of their self-identity.

I'm saying the same logic that people use to say 16-17 years olds shouldn't vote could just as easily be applied to those 70 plus.

Food for thought.
And what logic is that? 70 year olds have a ton of life experience. Can't say the same for a 16 year old.

HAVING said this - because someone gets elected because they have nice hair or a great physique isn't a good sign of maturity on the electorate's part either.

And what logic is that? 70 year olds have a ton of life experience. Can't say the same for a 16 year old.
So life experience is needed? How much more life experience does a 18 year old have?
HAVING said this - because someone gets elected because they have nice hair or a great physique isn't a good sign of maturity on the electorate's part either.
That Harper was pretty dreamy.

What kind of moronic idiot wants our teens to grow up faster then they do already?? Frig, with all the "death and life sucks" media they get exposed to now they are already sullen and defeated at too young an age.

Let them vote where the next bush party should be.....

Let’s avoid the Hitler comparisons…

Thinking and understanding the issues is not a qualifier or a pre requisite to vote here. Only that you be a citizen. That’s in our constitution. The Elections Act furthers that by adding what is required.

If the qualifier is what you state then eliminate age and just make it a civics test to qualify. That won’t happen though. You don’t even have to be sober to vote by the way.

I could replace everything you said about teens and replace it with “seniors” many get it but a lot don’t. I’m in no way advocating the removal of voting rights for seniors but the logic is the same.

Scotland and Austria both have a voting age of 16. As far as I can see they aren’t going to hell and hand basket in some apocalyptic irreversible path.

I’m curious about what people mean when the say irreversible or irreconcilable harm? What harm exactly would 16 year olds bring to the system and how would they be solely responsible for that?
My apologies on introducing Hitler but the purpose was to provide an irreconcilable harm example. He made promises that caused people who were fed up with the status quo to support him. The end result is history. You are absolutely correct. Thinking is not a qualifier and that is a good thing but a little time to learn the ramifications of ones decisions is not a bad thing. Nor is a year's compulsory service a bad thing as a qualifier to vote. We do not need more voters but we do need more responsible citizens and if you can come up with a way to lower the age to 16 and produce responsibility then go for it.

My apologies on introducing Hitler but the purpose was to provide an irreconcilable harm example. He made promises that caused people who were fed up with the status quo to support him. The end result is history. You are absolutely correct. Thinking is not a qualifier and that is a good thing but a little time to learn the ramifications of ones decisions is not a bad thing. Nor is a year's compulsory service a bad thing as a qualifier to vote. We do not need more voters but we do need more responsible citizens and if you can come up with a way to lower the age to 16 and produce responsibility then go for it.
I do enjoy the stipulation that 16-17 year olds need to prove more responsibility for voting than the 18 to 114* year olds.

*Currently Canada's oldest person, Cecile Klein, turned 114 in June.

As I wrote, the trade-off should be full adult responsibility, including criminal and civil liability.

Reactions: QV
As I wrote, the trade-off should be full adult responsibility, including criminal and civil liability.
I mean, it happens enough already that it wouldn't be a sea change.

Decent trade off I imagine, small change to the elections act and a small change to the criminal code.

You have zero idea what goes on in the criminal justice system. Stick to topics you know.
Young people being charged as adults?

I mean, this happened within the last 7 days.

The provincial prosecution service said the teenager, who appeared in Montreal Youth Court Friday, also faces charges of aggravated assault, possession of a weapon for dangerous purposes and carrying a concealed weapon.

Prosecutors said if the teen is convicted, they will seek an adult sentence.

Fair is fair. If teenagers want to be able to vote as adults they should face the same consequences as adults, makes sense to me.

Back