• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH 47 Incident at Petawawa 20/June/ 2023

Katie Telford, go get your boss. He needs a quick reigning in. Mainly :

a) you need to STFU until there are actual confirmed fatalities before announcing this kind of thing

b) Never EVER say you're happy to call the CDS to offer condolences in the case of a fatality. It's always with regret, as you always regret loss of life

c) Twitter is not the forum for this kind of situation. Release a press statement, record a soundbite, something other than a 250 character limit blip on social media.

Jesus christ...

Angry Will Ferrell GIF
Truer Mis-words were never spoken.

RIP to the soldiers that paid the ultimate price. You shall be remembered.

My Niner Domestic asked about that flight.

We all signed up knowing this could happen and are prepared to pay the price, even now.

My deepest condolences to the families and all RCAF/450 Sqn pers :(

It's like the politicos are playing the worst game of "hold my beer" ever. Insensitive dolts.

While I feel for the loss of the families, I think the true error lies in the fact someone told the families the positions on the crew could be withheld. That information was going to get out as soon as the initial report of the flight incident was released, so I'm not sure what the RCAF hoped to achieve by keeping that specific fact out of the press.

Can the families choose to not have the names of the deceased ever revealed? I've never seen military casualties take this long to have the names released, and I'm just curious why that might be.

Can the families choose to not have the names of the deceased ever revealed? I've never seen military casualties take this long to have the names released, and I'm just curious why that might be.
They can request that the Department not release the names. It will get out there eventually via other means.

While I feel for the loss of the families, I think the true error lies in the fact someone told the families the positions on the crew could be withheld. That information was going to get out as soon as the initial report of the flight incident was released, so I'm not sure what the RCAF hoped to achieve by keeping that specific fact out of the press.

You're not wrong. Someone is going to leak things. I think people were just hoping it wouldn't be our duly elected officials.

It was a request of the families.

IMG_6844.jpeg

Maybe the pause between the crash and the timeline for flight safety report to be released would be enough for the families to get thru the shock, grief and be allowed to come together to lay their loved ones to rest.

The average citizen’s curiosity would probably dwindle by the time the initial report came out and doubtful many of them would follow the story to completion.

Maybe the pause between the crash and the timeline for flight safety report to be released would be enough for the families to get thru the shock, grief and be allowed to come together to lay their loved ones to rest.

The average citizen’s curiosity would probably dwindle by the time the initial report came out and doubtful many of them would follow the story to completion.

IMHO the average citizen's curiosity should not be catered too... But that's just me.

After Stalker went down it was disgusting how many emails I got probing for information. TBH it ruined friendships.

IMHO the average citizen's curiosity should not be catered too... But that's just me.

After Stalker went down it was disgusting how many emails I got probing for information. TBH it ruined friendships.
A public tweet is not the way to express condolences. It suggests haste and a cavalier attitude towards people's feelings at a time when shock is just setting in. That is why you send a ranking cohort and a Chaplin to the front door. Even traffic fatalities warrant an officer at the door before the reporters arrive to ensure that information is correct that is unless things have changed in the last decade.

A public tweet is not the way to express condolences. It suggests haste and a cavalier attitude towards people's feelings at a time when shock is just setting in. That is why you send a ranking cohort and a Chaplin to the front door. Even traffic fatalities warrant an officer at the door before the reporters arrive to ensure that information is correct that is unless things have changed in the last decade.
At least not until primary (and extended, if applicable) NOK notifications have been made.

Back