• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada doesn’t matter to the rest of the world - and it’s our own fault

I'm sure dozens of people have told you this before, so I don't know why I bother to write it, but the problem is not the individual migrant, it's the number and the inability to properly assimilate them to the receiving society and its culture.
They said the same thing about the Irish, no?

Canada has been a global nation from its inception.

I'm sure dozens of people have told you this before, so I don't know why I bother to write it, but the problem is not the individual migrant, it's the number and the inability to properly assimilate them to the receiving society and its culture.
And as I’ve said here before - that is a first generation issue. Plenty of other communities had that issue - Italians, Ukrainians, Portuguese, to name just a couple in the Toronto area alone.

The second and third generation become Canadian due to what they see in media, school, etc. The Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, etc communities will do the same - not to forget that there have been Chinese people in Canada before it was officially a country.

They said the same thing about the Irish, no?

Canada has been a global nation from its inception.
Hell, the Canadian govt gave free land to Europeans to settle the Prairies. Lots of folks who didn’t speak English or French settled what is now AB, SK, and MB and kept to themselves for years.

No one says now that they’re “not Canadian”.

And as I’ve said here before - that is a first generation issue. Plenty of other communities had that issue - Italians, Ukrainians, Portuguese, to name just a couple in the Toronto area alone.

The second and third generation become Canadian due to what they see in media, school, etc. The Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, etc communities will do the same - not to forget that there have been Chinese people in Canada before it was officially a country.
Oddly enough in the Muslim communities its the 2nd generation that often become the problem.

And as I’ve said here before - that is a first generation issue.
That's not true. First generations are often more grateful towards their new country because they chose it, whereas second and third gens may feel they are citizens of nowhere (no matter how welcoming the receiving country may be) and may even engage in rebellious or terroristic acts to greater degrees than first gens.

Hell, the Canadian govt gave free land to Europeans to settle the Prairies. Lots of folks who didn’t speak English or French settled what is now AB, SK, and MB and kept to themselves for years.

No one says now that they’re “not Canadian”.
Even in the late 1960s/early 1970s, I personally knew several neighbours whose first language was Ukrainian or German, with English being a very distant second.

I had a goofy idea when the Kurds and other Middle East groups were being prosecuted by ISIS and others. Offer a village in the middle east the opportunity to move lock stock and barrel to a village on the Prairies. There are numerous villages and hamlets that have a lot of empty homes but have current infrastructure and potential. Have the government purchase the town, and the 1280 acres (4 sections) of land surrounding the hamlet. Move the village there and they can start over, free from bombs, crazy religions, and terrorism.

I know there is a million things to make this idea unachievable but it does make for an interesting thought experiment.
Honestly I love it.

The ones I worked with were extremely reliable, and hard working.

Quite frankly that probably should have been done in Afghanistan as well, as there where thousands of people there that needed to get out, and they and their families had proven their loyalty (often in blood) repeatedly.

Of course not. So why then do all our institutions do their darndest their deny this to their French and English founding peoples?

Why must the solution be "force more migrants down the throats of the only communities that have maintained their identity so far"?

Why can't it be, I don't know, revert the unhinged globalization that has eviscerated our communities and obliterated our sense of national identity?

There's alot of research that shows immigrants assimilate quickly to Canadian society, regardless of where/ how they live. Top tip: if you ever want to feel like a proud(er) Canadian, just attend a Canadian Citizen swearing in ceremony...

Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
Patterns and Determinants of Immigrants’ Sense of Belonging to Canada and Their Source Country​

This study assesses immigrants’ acculturation profiles as measured by their sense of belonging to Canada and their source country. It first examines the relative distribution of immigrants who have a strong sense of belonging to both Canada and their source country; a strong sense of belonging to Canada only; a strong sense of belonging to their source country only; and a weak sense of belonging to Canada and their source country. It further examines four sets of determinants of these acculturation profiles, including source-country socioeconomic and cultural characteristics, immigration entry status, post-migration experience, and demographic characteristics. Using a large nationally representative sample of 7,003 immigrants in Canada from over 100 countries, this study finds that the overwhelming majority of immigrants have a strong sense of belonging to Canada with or without a strong sense of belonging to their source country. Source-country attributes are as important as immigration entry status and post-migration experience in affecting immigrants’ sense of belonging to Canada and their source country.

I had a goofy idea when the Kurds and other Middle East groups were being prosecuted by ISIS and others. Offer a village in the middle east the opportunity to move lock stock and barrel to a village on the Prairies. There are numerous villages and hamlets that have a lot of empty homes but have current infrastructure and potential. Have the government purchase the town, and the 1280 acres (4 sections) of land surrounding the hamlet. Move the village there and they can start over, free from bombs, crazy religions, and terrorism.

I know there is a million things to make this idea unachievable but it does make for an interesting thought experiment.
Hey, we did that in the past with land grants and such. We’ll give you a piece of land and all you had to do was farm it and become productive.

My first ancestor in Canada in the 1600s was a French soldier who was given a parcel of land to farm on the banks of the St Laurence to encourage him and his buddies to stay in New France.

My wife’s family were of Irish stock and given most of Allumette Island in Quebec to farm and develop.

There's alot of research that shows immigrants assimilate quickly to Canadian society, regardless of where/ how they live. Top tip: if you ever want to feel like a proud(er) Canadian, just attend a Canadian Citizen swearing in ceremony...

Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series​

Patterns and Determinants of Immigrants’ Sense of Belonging to Canada and Their Source Country​

This study assesses immigrants’ acculturation profiles as measured by their sense of belonging to Canada and their source country. It first examines the relative distribution of immigrants who have a strong sense of belonging to both Canada and their source country; a strong sense of belonging to Canada only; a strong sense of belonging to their source country only; and a weak sense of belonging to Canada and their source country. It further examines four sets of determinants of these acculturation profiles, including source-country socioeconomic and cultural characteristics, immigration entry status, post-migration experience, and demographic characteristics. Using a large nationally representative sample of 7,003 immigrants in Canada from over 100 countries, this study finds that the overwhelming majority of immigrants have a strong sense of belonging to Canada with or without a strong sense of belonging to their source country. Source-country attributes are as important as immigration entry status and post-migration experience in affecting immigrants’ sense of belonging to Canada and their source country.

Well that’s obviously a Deep State StatsCan skewed survey 😏

Kandahar Saskatchewan is listening

Readers may, or may not, find this map of interest.

Map: Ethnic Populations In Toronto’s Four Community Councils​

Clicking on the numbers will take you to the individual Ward statistics and clicking on the community council names will take you to a map of each of the council areas. The statistics showing country of origin are found below the first map. Scroll down to see maps of visible minorities and location of recent immigrants.

Am I wrong though? If someone was coming from an area where English or French isn’t the main language, is it crazy to think that they would want to be near folks that do speak the same languages, and to be near folks with ethnic similarities?

If for nothing else, getting foods and ingredients would be easier in a large city.
No it's not but is it any crazier to think when moving to another country that has 2 official languages that you should learn at least one of them? It is one of the biggest change I have seen in immigrants over the years. Before joining I met and worked with immigrants from various places. The common thread with them all was that they worked hard and put in a lot of effort to learn the local prominent language. One guy worked 2 jobs along with opening a corner store and every night he came to work with a new word he would ask about. Wanted to know how it was pronounced properly and what it meant. On occasion the word did lead to a good laugh as it was from someone not being pleasant to him.

Back