• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Sewing kits, and related kit.

Walker_

Reaction score
Hello,

First of all thanks for checking out my post!

I'll keep it short and sweet.

In regards to a, "Sewing Kit", I'd like to ask if anyone has any recommendations. Such as Amazon listings, or simply recommended types of thread, needles, etc, that I might find at a local store.

I'm not adept with sewing so I'd like to practice a bit before I go, and therefore be prepared if I should need to.

If you can think of any similar pieces of kit that I should consider and wont be able to acquire at the canex, I'd also appreciate that input.

Thanks~

Last edited:
Do they not issue sewing kits anymore? It used to be an olive drab kit with a Velcro closure that just contains several spools of different coloured threads a couple of needles couple of buttons and needle threader. And maybe some scissors

Hello,

First of all thanks for checking out my post!

I'll keep it short and sweet.

In regards to a, "Sewing Kit", I'd like to ask if anyone has any recommendations. Such as Amazon listings, or simply recommended types of thread, needles, etc, that I might find at a local store.

I'm not adept with sewing so I'd like to practice a bit before I go, and therefore be prepared if I should need to.

If you can think of any similar pieces of kit that I should consider and wont be able to acquire at the canex, I'd also appreciate that input.

Thanks~
Dollarama. Problem solved. I still have two of them; one at home, and one at my workplace. As for actual "sewing", you can get by with just learning to barrel-stitch. The goal is to sew nametape on all your kit so that when you eventually lose a sock in the dryer at BMQ, people know who's stuff belongs to whom. Also, it's pretty useful going forward in your military career, for example, if you get posted to an HMCS where you have common laundry facilities and people's stuff gets tossed about once in a while.

Little stitches... not like you'll be sewing a quilt (although, if you can, kudos to you!!)

Do they not issue sewing kits anymore? It used to be an olive drab kit with a Velcro closure that just contains several spools of different coloured threads a couple of needles couple of buttons and needle threader. And maybe some scissors
I have one of those as well. Great for CADPAT stuff, but not quite as helpful for NECUs. But those curved needles are AWESOME for sewing a popped seam in the old NCD pants. Just had to make sure to take the pants off first 🤪

That may be the case, I have heard they're not the greatest. I hope to practice prior to BMQ either way, so having something now would be nice.

Dollarama. Problem solved. I still have two of them; one at home, and one at my workplace. As for actual "sewing", you can get by with just learning to barrel-stitch. The goal is to sew nametape on all your kit so that when you eventually lose a sock in the dryer at BMQ, people know who's stuff belongs to whom. Also, it's pretty useful going forward in your military career, for example, if you get posted to an HMCS where you have common laundry facilities and people's stuff gets tossed about once in a while.

Could you detail what sort of articles are in said kit? Like types of thread, needles, pins, etc.

Yeah, I definitely think it's a good skill to pick up for sure even if I somehow don't end up needing it immediately.

I have one of those as well. Great for CADPAT stuff, but not quite as helpful for NECUs. But those curved needles are AWESOME for sewing a popped seam in the old NCD pants. Just had to make sure to take the pants off first 🤪

This is more or less what I had heard, ammounting to that they're not necessarily the most well rounded kits.

Thank you for the responses.

White thread, black thread, a few short buttons, safety pins, sewing needles (any needle works - straight, curved, just not super fine. A needle threader is a good addition. Tiny pair of scissors.

Back