• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Recruits failing downwards

jackamela

Reaction score
This isn't something that has happened to me - but wondering if it is a thing:

What happens if a recruit is not making the grade in their trade? Can you be repurposed to an alternative?

If someone joins as Intelligence Officer, for example and fails to pass the training. Is it the case that they might be offered to change track to different type of Officer role, or Intelligence Operator?

Similarly with actual recruiting process - is it possible to be offered a trade that wasn't one of the three you listed?

(No disrespect to any trade intended).

There are always options when something like this happens at the trade level. Usually, at that point, the Base Personnel Selection Officer (BPSO) or their designate will bring you in to review your options, and sometimes changing to a different trade is an option.

To use an example from someone I know, and without naming names:

Candidate X during their initial trades training for W Eng Tech had difficulties with some of the more complex mathematics required for the trade, and was seeking extra help from peers, professors, and even the support center. The staff at the school ended up convening a Training Review Board (TRB) to decide whether the member should be made to attempt to continue training or seek out other options. In the end, between the TRB and the BPSO Candidate X was able to change trades to another trade in the Navy, and was extremely successful in that trade, and had a much better sense of job satisfaction. And so you don't worry too much about it, you should know that Candidate X and I were on the same course, and their career progression has been pretty steady. We are the same rank, although we are different trades, I know he is likely as satisfied in his trade choice as I am in mine.

My advice to anyone with this concern is to worry about what is right in front of you, and know that now that we have you, we are going to fight like hell to keep you here and happy.

My other advice to those who may think that they can get in on whatever trade the recruiting center hires you at, and flunk off your initial trades training in order to get the trade you may have really wanted... well, that doesn't always work out the way you'd want it to. You may never know if the CAF treats those two trades with even stats, so a person may (as an example) want to be a W Eng Tech but they get recruited as a Mar Tech. Well, firstly, Mar Tech is hurting so bad for personnel that they are going to hold on the tightest. Also, since both are considered engineering technician trades, the powers-that-be may see that a member has failed off of Mar Tech training and make the assumption that they would also fail out of W Eng Tech training, and just cut out the middle and not even offer it to you. In the end, there is only so much that you can game the system before the system games you, so colour inside the lines.

All that said, the TL:DR answer is that there are steps that have to be taken before they will bump you out of a trade, and the CAF will usually try to find something that you will be successful at, and that you will enjoy.

Good luck!!

There are always options when something like this happens at the trade level. Usually, at that point, the Base Personnel Selection Officer (BPSO) or their designate will bring you in to review your options, and sometimes changing to a different trade is an option.

To use an example from someone I know, and without naming names:

Candidate X during their initial trades training for W Eng Tech had difficulties with some of the more complex mathematics required for the trade, and was seeking extra help from peers, professors, and even the support center. The staff at the school ended up convening a Training Review Board (TRB) to decide whether the member should be made to attempt to continue training or seek out other options. In the end, between the TRB and the BPSO Candidate X was able to change trades to another trade in the Navy, and was extremely successful in that trade, and had a much better sense of job satisfaction. And so you don't worry too much about it, you should know that Candidate X and I were on the same course, and their career progression has been pretty steady. We are the same rank, although we are different trades, I know he is likely as satisfied in his trade choice as I am in mine.

My advice to anyone with this concern is to worry about what is right in front of you, and know that now that we have you, we are going to fight like hell to keep you here and happy.

My other advice to those who may think that they can get in on whatever trade the recruiting center hires you at, and flunk off your initial trades training in order to get the trade you may have really wanted... well, that doesn't always work out the way you'd want it to. You may never know if the CAF treats those two trades with even stats, so a person may (as an example) want to be a W Eng Tech but they get recruited as a Mar Tech. Well, firstly, Mar Tech is hurting so bad for personnel that they are going to hold on the tightest. Also, since both are considered engineering technician trades, the powers-that-be may see that a member has failed off of Mar Tech training and make the assumption that they would also fail out of W Eng Tech training, and just cut out the middle and not even offer it to you. In the end, there is only so much that you can game the system before the system games you, so colour inside the lines.

All that said, the TL:DR answer is that there are steps that have to be taken before they will bump you out of a trade, and the CAF will usually try to find something that you will be successful at, and that you will enjoy.

Good luck!!
Well that's pretty clear then. Thanks for taking the time, much appreciated.

Back