• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Liberal Minority Government 2021 - ????

This bit is exactly why I find it funny that political pundits and general Doug Ford detractors use his "flip flopping" on issues as an attack.

His government makes a decision, people get upset about it, he changes course. Sure, it would be nice if his people made a few less bad decisions, but they at least back down when the public backlash gets bad. They don't just bull ahead with bad decisions because that's what their ideology demands.
Depends, I think, on whether it's a case of something being truly contentious, or 'ought reasonably have known' better.

Regardless it being "just a few" ridings that may have been impacted, and it allegedly wouldn't have changed the outcome of the election, the fact is our politicians knew about this, went along with it, and lied about it. Trudeau has spent 8 years bending over backwards trying to ensure he has plausible deniability with his cowardly "my staff never told me" antics.

Michael Kempa: The foreign interference inquiry report shows commissioner Hogue is succeeding where rapporteur Johnston failed

Justice Marie-Josee Hogue’s just-released foreign interference report provides more transparency and details beyond the opaque conclusions offered by “independent” special rapporteur David Johnston almost precisely a year ago.

Some 2019 candidates ‘appeared willing’ to engage with foreign interference: Hogue inquiry

A handful of candidates in Canada’s 2019 federal election “appeared willing” to go along with foreign interference schemes, a federal public inquiry has found.

snip... and it allegedly wouldn't have changed the outcome of the election...
This part is immaterial.

...fact is our politicians knew about this, went along with it, and lied about it.
This part is not.

If this interference caused even one seat to have the desired result, then it is a stain on, and a threat to the whole of our democracy.

This part is immaterial.

This part is not.

If this interference caused even one seat to have the desired result, then it is a stain on, and a threat to the whole of our democracy.
and it should be more than sufficient cause for Singh to grow a pair . It might even help him hold on to a couple of seats that he will otherwise lose.

I'm no at all surprised that liberal voters are turning to the cons. I'm very surprised that NDP voters would switch to CPC.

Unless, of course, they are switching to LPC, but so many LPC voters switched to CPC that effectively the LPC party is now made up of formerly NDP voters, and the CPC is now made up of all CPC and LIB voters.

Many traditional NDPers are working blue collar people, and the leap left by the NDP/LPC probably turns them off. Moreover, the more centrist CPC has become quite attractive.

Many traditional NDPers are working blue collar people, and the leap left by the NDP/LPC probably turns them off. Moreover, the more centrist CPC has become quite attractive.
I have never, in my whole life met an NDP who is an actual blue collar worker. They are the poisonous den of university workers and profs, student associations, union leaders and union organizers, many doctors and many more lawyers and social workers.

But certainly very few welders, framers, truckers, millwrights, miners, farmers, police officers, medical technicians, etc.

I have never, in my whole life met an NDP who is an actual blue collar worker. They are the poisonous den of university workers and profs, student associations, union leaders and union organizers, many doctors and many more lawyers and social workers.

But certainly very few welders, framers, truckers, millwrights, miners, farmers, police officers, medical technicians, etc.
Pretty sure a lot of the auto sector were or are NDP types. But your point is well taken about how that party is structured.

How long has been your whole life?

The autoworkers of today (Unifor) are not the men of the CAW pre-Y2K, and the NDP of today is not the NDP of Red Broadbent (as I recollect his nick name in the 1980’s).

I think geo location factors in a lot.

They can be very different people depending on what postal code you're in at the moment.

I think geo location factors in a lot.

They can be very different people depending on what postal code you're in at the moment.
Certainly. And I don't dispute Cloud's assertion of the present day make-up of that party. I think some have lingered on as matter of habit but are now past the point of tolerance.

I have never, in my whole life met an NDP who is an actual blue collar worker.
Lots of Welders/Tradesmen out West vote NDP, they also live in Edmonton and or FIFO from out East so that should sum it up.
They are the poisonous den of university workers and profs, student associations, union leaders and union organizers, many doctors and many more lawyers and social workers.
I know of a few traditional NDP supporters who for some reason have left their Unions, have considered leaving the party they have supported their entire life. I guess the reality of money talks finally sunk in with people.
I'd say more of these people vote NDP then you would suspect. They are closet voters, they wont talk about it in public.

I grew up in the Interior of BC in a small mining town. Everyone who worked at the mine was a dyed-in-the-wool NDP’er. You would agree on most things 90% of the time, but if you suggested that the Tories/Socreds were closer to where their vote should go, you’d be lucky not to get a knuckle sandwich. The case was the same in other towns where the big employers were sawmills. Their blue-collar unionized workers were also fierce Dippers. In the Interior, it seemed that the only ones who weren’t in the NDP were managers, small business owners and ranchers/farmers.

The miners in my hometown only started voting blue maybe 20 - 25 years ago after Harcourt/Clark tried to destroy the resource sector. That’s when you saw the same shift in other resource sector union members. The NDP’s pivot to the cultural left since then has only alienated them more.

I doubt the dollars and efforts expended into interfering in elections year over year never results in anything material.

Except disruption and loss of faith in our system...

priceless

I'd say more of these people vote NDP then you would suspect. They are closet voters, they wont talk about it in public.
I agree. Provincially, northern Ontario - very resource-based blue collar - is traditionally very strong for the NDP. Less so federally.

I think voters who lean more to social justice/environmental issues, particularly younger voters, will tend to vote NDP, at least for a few years. Some stay with it, others see their priorities change as they get older.

Back