• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Replacing the Subs

I've said this before and call me a pessimist but:

Canada will be out of the submarine business once the last one goes. The GoC has zero interest in it and quite frankly this GoC is more interested in showing off socks, mugging for the camera and telling everyone how to conduct their business.
A possibility for sure, but our allies are obviously not happy with us and we have made some promised investments witness
88 F35's instead of 65
14+ P8's
8 MRTT's is the VIP going to be a full MRTT too?
AEW like where did that come from

Also we only have another long hard 1+ year of this current government thank god

I am not sure there is a way to make (what I think) you are suggesting work.

The bandwidth requirements vs the laws of physics alone make your idea a non-starter.

I presume that you are referring to comms. How about if the sub communicated by couriers? UUVs moving between vessels. Or breaking surface for burst transmissions?

I presume that you are referring to comms. How about if the sub communicated by couriers? UUVs moving between vessels. Or breaking surface for burst transmissions?
You said put the CP underwater. That implies real time comms. Not going to happen, unless you have a new and revolutionary technology up your sleeve.

How would you make it work?
For me, as an infanteer:
v7i9mb.gif

You said put the CP underwater. That implies real time comms. Not going to happen, unless you have a new and revolutionary technology up your sleeve.

I think the highlighted bit is the open question for me. I always assume a lag even in real time. If so then any plan has to incorporate that lag regardless of how long that lag might be.

The other part is: how much can be done continuously and autonomously without direct intervention? At some point declaring weapons free and hitting a big red button might be the solution but how about, for example passively monitoring arrays of active unmanned sensors? Or having sensors report on contact....?

So I’ve made the mistake about asking about subsurface communication before, in a sub underwater…

Let’s just say it’s not a topic for OS discussing

So I’ve made the mistake about asking about subsurface communication before, in a sub underwater…

Let’s just say it’s not a topic for OS discussing
Judging by the testing I help the SFU Underwater Research Lab do in the 1990, the term "Hard" was frequently used. I am sure the tech is better, but not as good as the movies make it to be.

I've said this before and call me a pessimist but:

Canada will be out of the submarine business once the last one goes. The GoC has zero interest in it and quite frankly this GoC is more interested in showing off socks, mugging for the camera and telling everyone how to conduct their business.
The last time any govt had any interest in subs was the 90s.

Back