• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Zipperhead, objectionable term?

I came across this:
"From the leather helmets formerly used by early Canadian armoured crewmen, with a pattern of stitching resembling a zipper."
Edward C. Russell (1980), Customs and Traditions of the Canadian Armed Forces, Deneau and Greenberg, Department of National Defence, ISBN 0888790279, p 65.

For the American use of the word, I came across this rather gory explanation of the origin:
"It is said to have been coined during the Korean war by frontline troops whom had run over enemy troops in jeeps.
The soldiers claimed that the tire tracks from the jeeps left a pattern resembling that of a closed zipper along the corpse."
I have read elsewhere, that rigored or frozen stiff bodies were actually used on muddy roads for traction.
I don't know how true it is, but Clint Eastwood used it, and he was speaking as a Korean War veteran.

This is from Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zipperhead

cooks can be  "slop chuckers", or "stew burners"

BYT Driver said:
OH and "Meathead".  (anyone happen to know the origin of that one?? )
:cdn:

I had always just assumed it was like a jock sotra name.Big and dumb or something along that line.However out having a few beer with a buddy in Halifax who is a meathead he filled me in on his version anyway.

Apparently MP's would go ahead and mark routes for convoys,the driving orders were usually drive up that road until you "meet the head."Apparently when they were dug in by the side of the road all you would see is the helmet with MP written on it.

Anyway we were drunk.....

Bin Rat, Boxkicker

Supply Techs

Zero Trades = Trained Killers
Purple Trades = Trained Quillers

Here are other explanations from: http://www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/Regimental-nicknames-of-the-Canadian-Forces#R-Z

"The Zipperheads or Zips[24] — This name is extended to all armoured regiments; some have explained it as a reference to the armoured corps' former use of zippered fasteners on their combat boots. Another explanation is that during World War II the Allied Sherman tanks burnt fiercely when hit by German tanks. Thus they became Zippo's. Also comes from a common scar among troopers. When exiting the tanks it was common for new troopers to hit their foreheads near the hatch exit normally resulting in stitches resembling a zipper. Yet another apocryphal origin is from the multi-zippered tank suits (originally F-86 Sabre pilot suits) issued to the regiment for the Korean War.
A common joke used during exchanges between soldiers of Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) and of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry is, "Why don't we do this on a first name basis. You can call me Lord and I'll call you Princess."

You'll also find "a list of nicknames of Canadian regiments, arranged alphabetically by regimental title. A brief explanation of the origin of the nickname, where known, is included." Makes for some interesting reading.

...Sigs Pig, FlagWagger, Sparker...Squiggly Amp guys

X-mo-1979 said:
I had always just assumed it was like a jock sotra name.Big and dumb or something along that line.However out having a few beer with a buddy in Halifax who is a meathead he filled me in on his version anyway.

Apparently MP's would go ahead and mark routes for convoys,the driving orders were usually drive up that road until you "meet the head."Apparently when they were dug in by the side of the road all you would see is the helmet with MP written on it.

Anyway we were drunk.....

Aah, I think I know that guy.  I might've served with him in CM....however! I think I like the Dictionary.com version "dunce, blockhead, fool, a stupid or dull person...etc, etc" 
Hmmm, as I said to someone in a PM, doesn't truly explain some MP's I've met...

Ammo said:
A common joke used during exchanges between soldiers of Lord Strathcona's Horse (Royal Canadians) and of Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry is, "Why don't we do this on a first name basis. You can call me Lord and I'll call you Princess."

One of the best I've seen here yet...it just keeps the battle of Alberta alive.

Back