• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

You Want To Be A Pilot : 2018 - present

Not sure the CPL way is a viable backup in the short/medium term!
I agree. Taking it slow but also not interested in airlines. I already have a decent career so this would be for a fun side gig. Unfortunately to get paid at any capacity to fly you need a CPL. That being said I would take the pay cut and drop everything for a Pilot slot in the forces.

Not sure the CPL way is a viable backup in the short/medium term!
If you think the military is a short/medium term you are hardly mistaken my friend. And I mean WING STANDARDS, not 17-25 years career. Expect a minimum 5 years once you got your acceptance letter to just get your wings. That's 150hrs in minimum 5 years. 6-7 years is more realistic with the current clogged system.

Can anyone give advice on what to do once you are told you do not meet the PCL? I passed ACS, as well as Aircrew medical, however I guess the needs of the RCAF have changed and my file is no longer competitive. I've tried reaching out to the local recruiting office but they didn't have any advice other than to maybe try again later.

I hope more people on this thread have had their application progress recently. Mine just got competition listed after 4yrs of trying. If you don't make the PCL just keep on it and keep trying, even if you have to retake the CFAT.

What is weird though is, I was never asked to go to CFEME for the last part of the medical before getting on the comp list. Maybe that is still yet to come or maybe covid is changing things.

I hope more people on this thread have had their application progress recently. Mine just got competition listed after 4yrs of trying. If you don't make the PCL just keep on it and keep trying, even if you have to retake the CFAT.

What is weird though is, I was never asked to go to CFEME for the last part of the medical before getting on the comp list. Maybe that is still yet to come or maybe covid is changing things.
Congrats! You must be extremely pleased.

DEO or ROTP?

Yes, they're on the DWAN and need to stay there. Those numbers are also useless without context on how many people applied, how many people you'd be competing against.

Yes, they're on the DWAN and need to stay there. Those numbers are also useless without context on how many people applied, how many people you'd be competing against.
So I can't access them unless I'm part of the Armed Forces already then eh? Seems a little bit useless for us recruits, damn :/

So I can't access them unless I'm part of the Armed Forces already then eh? Seems a little bit useless for us recruits, damn :/
Its not useless. It's protected information that literally will not help you at all in your recruiting process. There could be 1,000 spots available this year, but if you're one of 100,000 applicants you'd have a 1% chance of getting a spot.

Worry about controlling what you can control: Make your file as competitive as possible and wait for a call.

3 years later, and I finally got my offer for Pilot! Well worth the wait, but it has been a patient struggle. Going in as DEO, with BMOQ slated for September 12th. I even swear in the day after my birthday haha, so it'll be a nice present.

Godspeed to everyone else and best of luck, these forums have been immensely helpful and I thank you all.

Cheers!

Is the CFAST done after the interview with the officer?

I lack the theoretical exam to get my CPL. Would it be interesting to get the CPL before the CFAST or does it not matter?

Is the CFAST done after the interview with the officer?

I lack the theoretical exam to get my CPL. Would it be interesting to get the CPL before the CFAST or does it not matter?
Get it after. If you fail CFAST, all you’d have to do to try again is write the CPL exam. If you finished your CPL before, you’d have to get to ATPL.

Get it after. If you fail CFAST, all you’d have to do to try again is write the CPL exam. If you finished your CPL before, you’d have to get to ATPL.
Ah ok, thanks!

So I imagine CFAST must have a minimum score. Right?

If you get this minimum score, you enter a list and at the end they will choose the best placed. Would it be this?

Is the CFAST the battery of tests done there in Trenton?

Ah ok, thanks!

So I imagine CFAST must have a minimum score. Right?

If you get this minimum score, you enter a list and at the end they will choose the best placed. Would it be this?

Is the CFAST the battery of tests done there in Trenton?
I have no idea how CFAST is done now. I did it 20 years ago…

I have no idea how CFAST is done now. I did it 20 years ago…

Matt Damon Grandpa GIF

😁

Can anyone tell me how similar the values on this site are to the actual CFAST calculations? They seem a lot simpler than what I've been led to believe the CFAST contains.

Can anyone tell me how similar the values on this site are to the actual CFAST calculations? They seem a lot simpler than what I've been led to believe the CFAST contains.
I would like to know too. :confused:

I'm looking for study content to prepare for my CFAST, but so far I haven't found much. I was using Lumosity Brain Training: Challenge & Improve Your Mind but it has been having issues lately.

Does anyone have suggestions for study material/website for CFAST?

I would like to know too. :confused:

I'm looking for study content to prepare for my CFAST, but so far I haven't found much. I was using Lumosity Brain Training: Challenge & Improve Your Mind but it has been having issues lately.

Does anyone have suggestions for study material/website for CFAST?

Check out this site for lots of advice on the tests.
RAF CBAT TMI

Obviously this one is for the Royal Airforce but extremely similar to what RCAF applicants undergo.

Also this post on Reddit, the first comment has a whole list of practice resources.

I go to Trenton in a few days, so we will find out soon how well those resources actually helped.

Back