• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

WWII Medals

R

Red

I have a couple of questions that hopfully some one can answer for me. I have recently finished replacing my grandfathers WWII medals. When I received the replacements (thru a military antique dealer) the ribbons were cut and mangled I was wondering if anyone knows where I can buy replacments? Also, I have received his war records and included was a vague list of his medals. Is there anyway I can verify that I have the correct medals?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

You can find out the answers to all your questions at this site. If the answer is not on the site they are more than happy to answer any queries through e-mail. I have been to their shop and they are very well kitted out and very professional. Good Luck!

http://www3.ns.sympatico.ca/medals.cmms/

My site has a fairly complete chart of the different medal ribands. The page is not complete yet, but images of the most commonly found ribands are included.

http://www.nucleus.com/~madorosh/medals.htm

Excellent site! Thanks for the link.
I do have one question though. If a person received a medal in WWII, were they automatically awarded the ribbon bar associated with that medal also?

Actually, Red, medals were not issued during World War Two. Some bravery decorations were in fact awarded, but decorations like the 1939-43 (later 1939-45) Star and Canadian Volunteer Service Medal were not even minted until after hostilities. Only the ribbon was issued during the war, and regulations in fact specified that medals were not to be worn for the duration of the conflict.

Medals presented at investitures were probably worn for the remainder of the day, then put away until after the war for safekeeping.

I‘m not sure what you mean by ribbon bar - a "ribbon bar" can be two things - either

a) the row of ribands worn on a uniform when in undress (ie semi-formal or working clothes) or

b) it can refer to a metal bar worn on the ribbon of the actual medal - to signify a second award (as was the case with say the Military Cross), or some other significance (the CVSM had a bar that signified overseas service).

I see now. What I mean‘t was the row of ribands. I have one of my grandfather‘s and it is in horrible shape. It appears to be a rectangular piece of cardboard wrapped in a ribbon. So soldiers were issued a riband during the war, then applied for the medals corresponding to that riband after the war? Ok, I‘m on track now.

Thanks for your insight.

My wife told me yesterday that her grandfather never bothered to apply for his medals after the war. Is it possible for my wife‘s grandmother to apply for the medals? I would very much like to have the medals mounted.

One other question, My wife‘s father gave me some of his dad‘s military badges, pins etc. from the service. One is his cap badge from the Army Medical Corps. What interesed me was that the fabric is maroon. It is my belief that only airborne soldiers had maroon berets. Did the medical corps have the same colour also?

Thanks in advance!

Probably the best place to beging the track down your families medals would be a visit to the Department of Veterans Affairs web site. There you will find sections dealing with the issue of medals that were never claimed. They will also be able to help you with who in the family may claim them.
As for the colour of the badge. The medical branch, then known as the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps, RCAMC, wore the colour SANGUINE...I hope that is the correct spelling. It is very close to the maroon won by the Airborne troops. If it is a cloth badge you have or the edging on pips, then it would seem to be very close to the same colour as the airborne. Good luck in your search, I am sure they will be displayed with pride.

Who am I to argue with "Canuck", world-reknowned author, reenactor, historian par excellence, webmaster to the uninformed uniformed and all-around man about town?!?
I thought that the RCAMC colour was "Cherry"....I hope that is the correct spelling.
Sorry Michael, I owed you one from some time back and, as they saw, revenge is a dish best served cold.
I won‘t argue that Dress regs may call the colour sanguine as in blood, but the paperwork used to define the colour of the flash used on formation patches repeats the word cherry at all times. We may have a typical difference between CMHQ in London and NDHQ in Ottawa.

Guess you still owe me one, Clive, cause "canuck" isn‘t me....

Although out of sympathy for you I will not comment on your spelling of "reknowned" (sic).

The references I‘ve seen refer to "dull cherry" rather than just cherry...

Back