• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

I got a g-shock and it works great in the field concidering th fact that its shock resistant . Make sure you get the non glossy ones or you might get jacked up. Coming from first hand experince . :bullet:

^ Jacked up for a glossy wrist watch? My BS sense is tingling. How much field time do you have as an 18 year old new reserve Log Pte? Your other review for a Spyderco fixed blade knife being stronger on the basis that it is "grounded" (http://army.ca/forums/threads/113894/post-1317077;topicseen#new) and the fact that you thought only officers wore mess kit (http://army.ca/forums/threads/113120/post-1317084/topicseen.html#new) shows just how much you are out of your lane. Get some time in, get some real experience (whether military or outside) and then come back to review gear, not just list off a spec that sounded nice to you.

Ok so I need a watch for BMQ! Which watch do you guys own? And do you recommend it?
I've read this thread, looking for some new options/opinions.
Thanks.

As has been said before, stop by your local walmart and pick up a $15.00 G-Shock.

kylepenn said:
Ok so I need a watch for BMQ! Which watch do you guys own? And do you recommend it?
I've read this thread, looking for some new options/opinions.
Thanks.

I wouldnt spend much, but I'd grab the one with the biggest digital time readout available. It's going to be beat to crap, and you really dont need any features other than time.

A second vote for the Casio G-Shock. I consider myself to be a bit of a "watch guy", and I have a decent collection of pretty cool (to me) timepieces from a number of manufacturers. When I deployed last year, I wore a G-Shock. My backup watch? Another G-Shock. It is today what the Timex Ironman was a generation ago -- the standard for durable, accurate field watches. And they are available almost everywhere (Walmart, Canex) at reasonable prices. A quick peek at amazon shows me a number of G-Shocks at less than $100.

If I was doing basic again, I'd be wearing a G-Shock.

I have $10 coleman watch from Walmart. It has every function I could desire: 24 HR time, backlight and a stop watch, hell it even has a calendar.

I've had it for two years, it has survived DP 1 and numerous exercises. I see no reason to spend more than that on a watch.

Buy something simple, accurate and digital.  It's probably going to get banged up, so don't get something you're going to get pissed off about when the crystal gets scratched.  You're also going to want something that can be set against whatever the time is on the course WO's watch.  It doesn't matter if your watch is set to a magical atomic clock and accurate to 0.001 seconds.  If the course WO wants you outside at 0615 hrs, they're not going to be looking at your wrist, so make sure your time is their time.  To.  The.  Second. 

And then show up five minutes early just to be safe.

I wear a Timex 8-Lap Ironman Triathlon that's on it's fourth band and second battery.  Before that, I wore a Timex 8-Lap Ironman Triathlon.  When this one dies, I may splurge and go for the 100-Lap edition, because apparently nobody stops at 8 laps anymore... 

Seeing a lot of recommendations for digital, here.  Any reason why that over analog?

For me personally a digital watch gives me more capabilities, stop watch, count down timer, alarm and date and time. For 50-100 dollars you can find a reliable watch with those options and many more and it will last you a long time while you will be hard pressed to find a pure analog watch with similar features in a similar price tag.

My personal experience is that digital watches are more reliable when factoring day to day abuse but that is just my personal observation.

Digital watches usually come with ruber-ish parts that can take a beating better (less brittle than metallic parts).
I have had to change parts on a titanium watch that I've owned for years, several times - smashing it on weight plates at the gym, dropped on the floor etc.. whereas my g-shock just takes the abuse.
It's also really handy sometimes to have a digital chrono and backlight. And large fonts.

I wear a 5.11 Sentinel. It is an analog watch with a sealed water proof housing, date counter and a rotating azimuth for timing up to 60 minutes. The silicon wristband has instructions for finding your cardinal directions using the watch and the sun as a compass. I have had the watch for 3 years now through field exercises, my civilian work as an LEO and is pretty beat up aesthetically, but works like brand new.

Has glow in the dark hands as well for all your nighttime needs.

Haven't bought it yet, but if you want an analog watch with Indiglo, this seems solid

http://www.amazon.com/Timex-Intelligent-Quartz-Indiglo-Thermometer/dp/B00857937G

Ostrozac said:
G-Shock. My backup watch? Another G-Shock. It is today what the Timex Ironman was a generation ago -- .

I feel so old.  My old beat-up Ironman is still around.

The Ironmans battery life is legendary though. Rated for 2 years, still running after 7

I only quit using my Ironman because they wouldn't stay abreast of the newer operating systems for programming them. I think my last Ironman used Win98 or 2000. I upgraded my PC and the Ironman program wouldn't work. After some calls to the manufacturer, they said there would be no upgrade available and that I could buy a newer version of their watch. No thanks, toss a good watch because they won't support it? Last one I bought.

Hi buddys,

i'm looking forward to buy a good military wrist Watch with a gps, and grid reference and i want your advised before making the choice:

The 2 models i'm looking are : Suunto Traverse Alpha -----------

Garmin Tactix Bravo

Give me the Pros and the cons

Thank you

I've been using a Timex Ironman since I joined, like a lot of you guys have. Been swimming wearing it, showered wearing it a million times. The screen has scratches on it from... A lot of things, but it functions perfectly still.

Back