• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wrist Watch Recommendations - Merged Thread

Got <a href="http://25.media.tumblr.com/df11f34808798e81c72134d1249ca4aa/tumblr_muo8mbaqST1slpo2ko1_500.jpg">this</a> 2 months and I love it.. Casio G-Shock GW9200-1 Riseman
I don't think you can go wrong with a G-Shock.

Thanks, I think I might go with the G shock 5600 line, its apparently their smallest one and at around $45 it's not a huge deal if I lose it/break it.

If you're getting a G-Shock don't make the mistake I did of getting one with a negative display. It's such a hassle trying to tell the time in low light conditions sometimes.

Never thought I would consider an expensive watch for work, but I have been looking lately for a watch with an alarm (for obvious reasons), and a digital compass for a quick reference to where North is when I get spun around and its not convenient/practical to be pulling out a compass all the time (I have found this to be the case during many attacks, etc). And admittedly, I find this happens a lot to me, I have the worst "sense" of direction (luckily this has taught me to religiously rely on my compass).

Most watches with these functions are above the $300 range, but after looking at the Tissot T-Touch line (which retails for more than $1000 in some instances), I have found a few on Ebay for 350 - 400 that are really tempting me. I generally wear a decent-looking, $100 watch in garrison, but a Timex Expedition in the field.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WORLD-RENOWNED-TISSOT-T-TOUCH-II-TITANIUM-330FT-MEN-WATCH-T047-420-44-207-00-/281262020422?pt=Wristwatches&hash=item417c85d746

Watch the watch in action at this link if interested, it's pretty awesome https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYiqTHWx91E

This watch, although expensive, looks nice enough to wear anywhere, but definitely has everything to be used in the field.

DISCLAIMER: For the recruits out there looking for a watch for BMQ/BMOQ and the rest of their basic training... I would still recommend just going with a Timex Expedition or something similar.

T-touch, especially the original, had a lot of software issues, most notably when the battery dies the watch seems to crap out with it. Tissot was claiming those purchased at unauthorized dealers were doing it but I'm not sure. The best the company would do was offer a new t-touch 2 at half price. I elected to stay away.

Disclaimer I don't use ebay, but my worry would be that an expensive item such as this would be a "knockoff."
In the GTA the Pacific Mall sells mostly Oriental products and is raided by the cops on a regular bases for knockoff DVD and other stuff.
But really, best of luck if this works for you.

DarkInfantry232 said:
Seeing im going to start my parading soon with my unit, and BMQ in 3 months, I picked up a watch today that I thought is appropriate. It's olive drab green which is real cool!
$T2eC16J,!)kE9s4Z-5cuBR7TrDSdQw~~60_12.JPG

Have the same watch. Works well, takes a beating. The solar feature was also a bonus.

Yes, only one piece of advice, disable the chime, and disable the function where it backlights automatically when the watch face is canted......otherwise, it will serve you well.

kev994 said:
T-touch, especially the original, had a lot of software issues, most notably when the battery dies the watch seems to crap out with it. Tissot was claiming those purchased at unauthorized dealers were doing it but I'm not sure. The best the company would do was offer a new t-touch 2 at half price. I elected to stay away.

Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely look more into that before dropping that kind of cash on one.

If you read the reviews on amazon there are a lot of complaints about the t-touch dieing when the battery died.

Luminox.

I had an old, beat up version of one of these watches (part of the outside casing broke for some unfathomable reason) kicking around in a drawer.

I ignored it until I decided to get it repaired and refurbished recently. For about 1/3 the price of a new one I got a virtually new watch back from Luminox. I wear it all the time now.

It is awesome. Love this watch.

http://www.luminox.com/

daftandbarmy said:
Luminox.

I had an old, beat up version of one of these watches (part of the outside casing broke for some unfathomable reason) kicking around in a drawer.

I ignored it until I decided to get it repaired and refurbished recently. For about 1/3 the price of a new one I got a virtually new watch back from Luminox. I wear it all the time now.

It is awesome. Love this watch.

http://www.luminox.com/

Those are nice, too bad I'd have to sell a kidney for one.

RedcapCrusader said:
Those are nice, too bad I'd have to sell a kidney for one.

I used to think that it was crazy to pay ~$300 for a watch when I bought my 5.11 watch. Now my daily watch is a Marathon CASR...

Luminox starts for less than a PS4, some decent looking ones for $350 and the nice ones are $600-900.

So we are far from kidney selling here. Hell, most people would spend that on a phone that will last them ~3 years, while a good watch will last you a lifetime.

kev994 said:
If you read the reviews on amazon there are a lot of complaints about the t-touch dieing when the battery died.

I have used a T-Touch II Expert for the last 3 years..I still like it..and it has been trouble free...I replaced the battery a couple days ago.  Battery was  9 bucks...but I let a jeweler in Fredericton do it for 20.  There are a couple good how-to guides on the net....if you choose  not to send it to Tissot. 

I know four others that have one, and like me have had no issues.  I also use one of the cheaper Luminox family, the Sentry I think its called.

There are some good used deals around on the T-Touch, but I would not buy the first gen...only the the T-Touch II. As far as I know...there are no knock offs.....

Anyone have experience with the Suunto Ambit 2? I've heard some good things about the Ambit 2, compared to the Core Black (which was hard to read), and that the ability to make your own apps for the Ambit 2 is pretty neat.

IRepoCans said:
Anyone have experience with the Suunto Ambit 2? I've heard some good things about the Ambit 2, compared to the Core Black (which was hard to read), and that the ability to make your own apps for the Ambit 2 is pretty neat.

I did some research and the Ambit doesn't meet my needs (extended backcountry travel) because it requires recharging.

I can't be bothered to carry extra gear to recharge it, like solar panels etc. Food gets priority in the payload!

I own both the Suunto Core All Black and the Ambit 2, and they are two very different beasts. I bought the core long before the Ambit or the Ambit 2 were conceived of and I still use it as my go-to watch. Hint: you can change the contrast of the all black core by going into the service menu.

Now for the Ambit 2: awesome piece of kit. It does everything the core does and then lots more. One area that Suunto has been slow to respond to is the inclusion of the storm alarm running constantly in the background or the barometric arrows on the time screen. They have fundamentally changed the capabilities of the Ambit a few times with some awesome firmware releases and from what's been going around on the forums, there will be some pretty big updates coming in the next month or so as well. For the fitness side of things, the Ambit 2 is bar none the best out there right now. For straight navigation, it could use some work (one of the areas of improvement that might be coming with the next firmware release). If you are using it solely for navigation purposes, dare I say the Garmin Fenix/Tactix would be a better choice. I like the interface of the Ambit 2 better than that of the Garmin, and this is coming from someone who owns multiple garmin devices (Foretrex 401 and Oregon 400T). The Ambit will do everything, it's just not quite as good for navigation (yet). It's battery is good for over 30 days in standard ABC modes, and I have used mine to track multi-day backpacking treks...hell, even used it on PLQ for ContactReps. It's got the best GPS signal reception I've ever seen across any unit as well.

http://www.traserh3watches.com/seiten/P_5900_Type_3__mod-detail-id-26-sprache-en.html

&

http://tacticalwatch.com/product-traser-classic-type-3-military-watch-p5900.406.33.11-watches_719.html

&

http://www.amazon.com/Traser-Military-Watch-P5900-406-33-11-Series/dp/B00ATEI6GC

Back