• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wire defenses still taught?

Colin Parkinson

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
Two things made me think about wire defense, the Bangalore torpedo thread and watching some ISIS videos of an assault on a IA base. So is constructing wire defenses still taught? I don't recall much wire being evident at our FOB's in the video's but that might be just OPSEC. If it is still taught is it mainly an CE task or is infantry still constructing their own?

Watching the ISIS assault a dug in position with fairly decent bunkers. The ISIS were able to successfully overrun the base using VIED's, suicide bombers and a coordinated, fairly fluid and aggressive light infantry assault. Judging by the tactics they show, I suspect they would have difficulty with a proper defense that would nullify their advantage of recklessness and speed. The wire and minefields would need to be defended for sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. 

Wire obstacles are still taught, although the defence doesn't get practiced as much as it could.  We had wire obstacles and a moat (created by filling the HESCO) around our platoon house in Afghanistan.

Wire IIRC is an all arms task but yes Engineers are taught how to set up various wire obstacles.

Colin P said:
... [are defensive wire obstacles] mainly an CE task ... 
CE is an organization on a base that builds and looks after the infrastructure.
The carpenters, plumbers, and electricians can put up wire, and CE likely would be responsible for the perimeter barriers of an established major fixed installation (think KAF).  However, generally, the infantry are supposed to be responsible for their own protective obstacles while cbt engr are supposed to be employed on tactical obstacles (those obstacles that, when joined with fires, cause the enemy to go where we want him to go).

Sorry I forgot that CE means Construction Engineers (AKA old and bent Combat Engineers)  ;D I meant Combat Engineers

Infanteer said:
Wire obstacles are still taught, although the defence doesn't get practiced as much as it could.  We had wire obstacles and a moat (created by filling the HESCO) around our platoon house in Afghanistan.

Moat, now there is something you don't don't think of. Is there still a pam on that? George W, Recce Guy  you guys were probably taught Moat breaching weren't you? 8)

Danjanou said:
Moat, now there is something you don't don't think of. Is there still a pam on that? George W, Recce Guy  you guys were probably taught Moat breaching weren't you? 8)

Along with siege engines and proper field stripping and maintenance of your trebuchet.  :cheers:

cupper said:
Along with siege engines and proper field stripping and maintenance of your trebuchet.  :cheers:

Maintenance of chariots and horses was taught as well.

Danjanou said:
cupper said:
Jim Seggie said:
Maintenance of chariots and horses was taught as well.

Don't forget my first tank! https://ca.search.yahoo.com/search?fr=mcafee&type=A011CA1056&p=da+vinci+tank

Back