• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Winnipeg to Gagetown Routes?

JesseWZ

Staff member
Directing Staff
Inactive
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am being posted (restricted)  to CTC Gagetown from 17 Wing Winnipeg and I plan on taking my PMV. I did extensive searches into this topic, (kilometric rates, PMV travel, etc.) I was curious about three things:

1. If anyone has done the trip, what routes would they recommend? I've heard different things from different people about what is better.

2. I don't pretend to understand all of the administrative logic behind the restricted posting, but I believe that I get 1 day per 500 kms distance, as well as some kind of kilometric compensation when taking a PMV. Is this still true with a restricted posting?

3. Will those travel days eat into my annual leave? My understanding is that on TD it would, but for a posting?

Thanks all in advance;

Jesse

Haven't travelled the route but there are a number of them....

The fol two are whole located within Canada:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=17+Wing%2FCFB+Winnipeg,+Winnipeg,+Manitoba&daddr=ON-17+E%2FTrans-Canada+Hwy+to:48.253941,-85.03418+to:cfb+gagetown&geocode=FbAb-QIdxT00-ik7K-azVnPqUjFJsz9-jQk6JQ%3BFe6f7AId2F2Y-g%3B%3BFdVruwIdXEAK_Cm_okytZpmmTDFedtSQYVMaHw&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=6&via=1,2&sll=48.136767,-82.243652&sspn=8.74152,23.181152&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=6

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=17+Wing%2FCFB+Winnipeg,+Winnipeg,+Manitoba&daddr=ON-17+E%2FTrans-Canada+Hwy+to:49.667628,-83.825684+to:cfb+gagetown&geocode=FbAb-QIdxT00-ik7K-azVnPqUjFJsz9-jQk6JQ%3BFe6f7AId2F2Y-g%3B%3BFdVruwIdXEAK_Cm_okytZpmmTDFedtSQYVMaHw&hl=en&mra=dme&mrcr=0&mrsp=2&sz=6&via=1,2&sll=48.136767,-82.243652&sspn=8.74152,23.181152&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=6

Some other routes go through the US too.....

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=17+Wing%2FCFB+Winnipeg,+17+WING,+Winnipeg,+MB+R3J+2L5&daddr=cfb+gagetown&geocode=FbAb-QIdxT00-ik7K-azVnPqUjFJsz9-jQk6JQ%3BFdVruwIdXEAK_Cm_okytZpmmTDFedtSQYVMaHw&hl=en&mra=ls&sll=49.891235,-97.15369&sspn=33.906867,92.724609&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=5

I've driven both ways and prefered going through the states if I was going strictly for speed.  Interstates are your friend and while driving through Northern Ont is nice to see at times it can be really slow depending on traffic.  There are lots of routes to take when going through the states, so best bet is to pick stuff you want to see along the way and drive that way. 

I, on the other hand, prefer to drive on the #1 straight through....sorta. Not as fast, but not going to get lost, or hassled at the border (in this day and age of security stuff.)

Answering some of your original questions:

Appendix B - Kilometric Rates - Modules 1, 2 and 3
Versions:
Current - April 1, 2010

The rates payable in cents per kilometre for the use of privately owned vehicles driven on authorized government business travel are shown below:

Province/Territory
Cents/km
(taxes included)

Alberta

British Columbia

Manitoba

New Brunswick

Newfoundland and Labrador

Northwest Territories

Nova Scotia

Nunavut

Ontario

Prince Edward Island

Quebec

Saskatchewan

Yukon

Also see the attached file PMV Travel Waiver And Cost Comparison Worksheet

Thanks all for the advice. For simplicities sake I might just use the Number One. But we'll see what construction projects and such are ongoing at the moment.

As a voice of caution, if you are on leave or fanily traveling with you are in an accident in the US, there could be financial losses that would not be covered by the CF. "The drive" up or down the lakes have their own pros and cons. I have not gone through the US route, but with planing the upper route is worth the trip. One hint, bring a jerry can and self pump device from Canadian Tire. That hint will extend your milage past gas stations aiming to capitalize on your low fuel.  ;D

kratz said:
As a voice of caution, if you are on leave or fanily traveling with you are in an accident in the US, there could be financial losses that would not be covered by the CF.

Can you explain?

To the OP: The US route is more fun and quicker.  Stop in Minneapolis and Chicago.  Both are great cities to visit.

If you're not in a rush, head straight South, avoid the Interstates, and pick up US Hwy 2 East all the way... a good map or GPS is your friend , as it takes a meandering course.  The Northern New York, Vermont, and Maine leg is especially nice.  Also close enough to the border that if your appendix blows up you can be in Canada in an hour.  Cheaper gas, cheaper food, cheaper rooms, and people in the service industries who still understand where their money comes from.

Kat Stevens said:
If you're not in a rush, head straight South, avoid the Interstates, and pick up US Hwy 2 East all the way... a good map or GPS is your friend , as it takes a meandering course.  The Northern New York, Vermont, and Maine leg is especially nice.  Also close enough to the border that if your appendix blows up you can be in Canada in an hour.  Cheaper gas, cheaper food, cheaper rooms, and people in the service industries who still understand where their money comes from.

My wife & I did that route when MJP was 5 months old.....it rained all the way through Maine, Vermont and so on, nobody observed the 55 MPH speed limit, the police followed us right to Emerson crossing, MJP cried constantly, except when I made a wrong turn off the freeway and ended up in downtown Chicago at 5pm (dead silence...he was fascinated) ....nothing but yellow cabs, and I was lost.
Great trip though.... ;D

GAP said:
My wife & I did that route when MJP was 5 months old.....it rained all the way through Maine, Vermont and so on, nobody observed the 55 MPH speed limit, the police followed us right to Emerson crossing, MJP cried constantly, except when I made a wrong turn off the freeway and ended up in downtown Chicago at 5pm (dead silence...he was fascinated) ....nothing but yellow cabs, and I was lost.
Great trip though.... ;D

Gee thanks dad.  Remind me to up your meds again.

FML :)

MJP said:
Gee thanks dad.  Remind me to up your meds again.

FML :)

Well, you've quieted down since.......somewhat. Still facinated with tall buildings and yellow cabs?

I would do the US route too, cheaper petrol, much better roads (Interstates), rest areas etc.

OWDU

The speed route From Winnipeg to Gagetown:

South to the Interstates, then east to Detroit, cross into Windsor in the middle of the day, or early evening, then 401/20/TransCanada through Ont/Que/NB.

That way you miss the long slow drive at 90 km/h that is Ontario.

And buy a GPS...

SFB said:
The speed route From Winnipeg to Gagetown:

South to the Interstates, then east to Detroit, cross into Windsor in the middle of the day, or early evening, then 401/20/TransCanada through Ont/Que/NB.

That way you miss the long slow drive at 90 km/h that is Ontario.

And buy a GPS...

Nice ninja edit, saving the 40,000 km detour.  ;)

The first time I ever drove anywhere east of Manitoba was after BMQ when I flew to Winnipeg to pick up my car and drive it back to Borden. Having driven in the Rockies a lot, I really enjoyed the scenery of Northern Ontario near Thunder Bay. The weather can be quite unpredictable. I drove through at the end of April and there was no snow on the ground and everything was nice in green. Two years later I went through on the exact same days and there was tons of snow, snow squalls, ice pellets, and semis in the ditch. It took 4 hours at 50km to go the 200 km from Sault to Wawa. By the time I got to Wawa I could not handle it anymore and my hands were aching from squeezing the wheel so hard. So I checked into a motel at 1030am to wait it out. You should be good to go at this point in the year.
    The stretch from Thunder Bay to Sault Ste Marie is about 7 hours and there are a lot of moose on the highway sometimes. Winding roads high above the ground in some spots with little chintzy cables which would not prevent a car from going over if fast enough. In that 7 hour stretch I only saw one gas station open after 11pm and that was in Marathon. I would not drive through there after dark. The last time I did that was when I left Borden at 4pm and arrived in Winnipeg at 1pm the next day back in the days I never drank coffee. I had a passenger who snored the whole way but surprisingly having someone in the car with you really keeps you focused no matter how tired you are.
    Don't forget in addition to your km allowances you are getting three meals per day paid for (no receipts required) to a tune of about 60 bucks per day. My move from Halifax to Cold Lake was about 10 days. I don't remember the exact amount but by the time I finalized everything I had about 5 grand to spend on furniture for my house since I lived in barracks before. Mainly because driving sometimes ten hours a day I did not work a huge appetite. So I would just get snacks when stopping for gas or buy a cooler and sandwicjhes which left me able to bank the remainder. And you don't have to spend every night in a different place. I spent a couple nights in Quebec City to sightsee. And if you stay a few nights at a relative or friend (I spent 3 nights at my father's) they at the time paid 50 bucks a night for non-commercial lodging.

Have a good trip!

Back