• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will you ever lose your sub pay?

SharkSlayer7.62

Inactive
Reaction score
I am being screened for submarine service and I am trying to get into the UTPNCM program. I have heard that you will never lose your sub pay. As an E-Tech, I will lose my spec pay because it is considered a voluntary occupational transfer. So the question is, if I go UTPNCM would I lose my sub pay?

SharkSlayer7.62 said:
I am being screened for submarine service and I am trying to get into the UTPNCM program. I have heard that you will never lose your sub pay. As an E-Tech, I will lose my spec pay because it is considered a voluntary occupational transfer. So the question is, if I go UTPNCM would I lose my sub pay?

No, you won't lose your spec pay on acceptance into UTPNCM - you have vested rights to pay in that case.

You will lose your sub pay, because it's an environmental allowance, and you'll no longer be in the environment.

When you VOT for UPTNCM, you will keep your same "base salary" of the trade/rank you had prior to the VOT. If you were receiving spec 1 or spec 2, your salary will continue to  be the same until your new rank salary exceeds your old trade salary.

All allowances are linked to what you are currently doing, therefore if you are not on a ship/sub, then you will not receive sea or submarine allowances.

Navalsnipr said:
When you VOT for UPTNCM, you will keep your same "base salary" of the trade/rank you had prior to the VOT. If you were receiving spec 1 or spec 2, your salary will continue to  be the same until your new rank salary exceeds your old trade salary.

They'll continue to get any annual pay adjustments (if applicable), but not any incentive increases.

All allowances are linked to what you are currently doing, therefore if you are not on a ship/sub, then you will not receive sea or submarine allowances.

Except as noted above, didn't I say the same things in my previous post?  ;)

284_226 you are entirely accurate in his explanations. I think the Navalsnipr is saying teh same thing just in simpler terms for those who do not understand certain terminology.

Thanks guys. This is all good to know. If I get accepted to UTPNCM I will probably be the highest paid officer cadet around. I appreciate your replies.

I am going UTP this summer and yes, I lost my sub pay but I kept my SPEC pay as a technician. In the big picture, the loss of the sub pay is way more than offset by the benefit of the education.

As a further note on this subject...

Sub Specialty Allowance is only tied to specific positions in the navy. If you are not posted into one of those positions then you won't receive the pay.

Seatech said:
Sub Specialty Allowance is only tied to specific positions in the navy.
The same is applicable to other Environmental Allowances such as Sea Duty Allowance &  Aircrew Allowance.

Remember that Spec 1 & 2 is related to your occupation and qualification level therein where allowances are only relative to the position you are in at the moment. A very distinct difference between the 2 which is the reason why allowances are not part of any salary related factors to OT's or CFR's.

Back