• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will Canada Abolish Marriage ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
kcdist said:
Hmmmmm.

I've always had a problem with the term homophobic. I take the term to roughly mean 'fear of homosexuals'.

I certainly have a viewpoint on homosexuality, however, it is definitely not one of fear.

How about we coin some new terms.

homodisgusted - for some

homosupporter - for others

homointrigued -  for some on the fence

homoIdon'tcaresolongasyoudon'tdoitaroundme - for most of us

Just a thought.....

agreed  ;D

After pondering what Bruce wrote (this is about money)...

I had an insight

For Government - it is about money
For gays - its about recognition and equality
For the courts - about the rule of law
For the population - about change (either good or bad)

How we argue in this post will come from one of these four areas (which we support)

If I'm arguing LAW and your arguing Change, we're not on the same playing field.
I want to say we're arguing apples and oranges.. but its more like oranges and grapefruit.
Both are citrus, just different.

This topic needs to address each specific issue with no other crossover from the other areas if
one really wanted to explore the complexities of this issue.

But as someone posted... Look, a pig just flew by my window. (classic)

We never will.  Thats more in depth than most of us would want to go and this isn't
the medium to discuss this issue in the depths it requires (i.e. government, courts/law, rights, change, etc.)

Since this thread was on abolishing marriage as an institution, not focus on gay marriage, we have failed to
verbally track this thread from... post #4, 5.  So, unless anyone has anything UBER burning that will shed new
light onto the topic...  OR  needs to reply to anything I said because its not fair to get the last word in and run  ;)

I suggest we LOCK IT.

Inter racial marriage was brought up because at one time it was not socially acceptable by the general populace just like gay marriage is now.  That said interracial marriage didn't tear the fabric of society apart as I suspect will be the same for gay marriage.  I don't see how anyone can find something wrong with giving a minority the same rights as everyone else.  Its not like they are asking for special treatment.  They just want to be treated the same as the rest of us.

Sh0rtbUs said:
My major problem is, slapping the title "Marriage" on their unification (being a biblical sanctioned act, NOT State), all the while, the bible clearly and openly condemning Homosexuality. Its contradictory.

So why is it regulated by the state?

Quote from CFL,
Inter racial marriage was brought up because at one time it was not socially acceptable by the general populace just like gay marriage is now.  That said interracial marriage didn't tear the fabric of society apart as I suspect will be the same for gay marriage.  I don't see how anyone can find something wrong with giving a minority the same rights as everyone else.  Its not like they are asking for special treatment.  They just want to be treated the same as the rest of us.

Yea, why should straight people be the only ones miserable? ;)

...and on that stolen quip [Thanks Bob and Tom] since this is turning away from its topic and into more uber pages about gay marriage.....locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back