• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Will 2021 see a new pistol buy?

Will the CAF's new pistol be a:

• the new US service pistol, the Sig Sauer P320 (M17/M18)?

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • the British version of the Glock 17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Beretta APX?

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • a Canadian designed Black Creek Labs PX17?

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • a Norinco?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • something else?

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Second Contract Line Item (CLIN) for different engraving.
Down here SOCOM buys some items off Army contracts, on a different CLIN and thus different DO’s.

JNA a Sole Source to add to the RCMP buy.

Depend on your legal and contract folks it could be an easy one to justify, some will balk at it, but it’s effectively a duplication of effort if the PSpec is cloned from the RCMP and as such you just jump on the buy. It’s pretty common down here - even after award for other entities to MIPR money to the primary and get things off their contract by amendment to the contract ceiling.

Canadian Contracts don’t allow for JNA to add to contracts?
I don’t know what JNA means.

Sole sourcing is what CAF would be doing if it directed a buy based on what the RCMP was getting. That is a steep hill to climb for approvals, and it might open the RCMP contract to trade tribunal complaints (losing bidders would declare they’d have had different offers if they had known a CAF contract would have been added after the fact).

I don’t know what JNA means.

Sole sourcing is what CAF would be doing if it directed a buy based on what the RCMP was getting. That is a steep hill to climb for approvals, and it might open the RCMP contract to trade tribunal complaints (losing bidders would declare they’d have had different offers if they had known a CAF contract would have been added after the fact).
Justification and Notification of Award
Basically we went with this, due to this.

In Canadian terms, that would be an ACAN - Advanced Contract Award Notice, explaining why vendor X was chosen without an open competition.

A contract can be amended without competition for up to 50% of the original value, but the willingness of PSPC to support such amendments is quite variable.

But an ACAN can be forced to competition if another vendor declares they can provide for the described requirement.

In this instance, depending on the incremental quantity CBSA would require, amending the contract would likely be possible and preferable.

In this instance, depending on the incremental quantity CBSA would require, amending the contract would likely be possible and preferable.
The RCMP RFI asked for 25,000 pistols. CBSA's ask would be for roughly half that, I'd guess.

If it's a RFI, amending the RFP should be eminently achievable.

If the RFP is already out or the bid are in, amending will be more challenging.

If it's a RFI, amending the RFP should be eminently achievable.

If the RFP is already out or the bid are in, amending will be more challenging.
The RFI and RFP stated the contract would be awarded some time next month. The industry engagement period ended in September.

I'm not sure, except that we decided to go down this road quite late in the RCMP procurement process which would've resulted in amending or re-starting the Mountie's RFP.
Imagine if we, Canada, had the ability to say “a combat hand gun is a combat hand gun” and just bought a single federal service gun?

I don’t mean changing theirs, just if your department could possibly say “hey, run off x number more of those once you build theirs”.

Obviously I haven’t a clue whether federal procurement allows such a thing. But I would hope a department with a same need as another one could leverage an existing procurement process for efficiency’s sake.

…Now that I re-read that, clearly I’m smoking dope. Thinking federal procurement could flow logically and efficiently.
You mean...contact the vendor and say "Ya know what? Once you've aamade these 25,000 pistols for Client A, can you make another 16,000 for Client B?"

Since both federal agencies will be using the same piece of equipment, it makes no sense to go through the same tedious process...twice.

You aren't smoking dope by thinking logically Bri, although you may want to start smoking it casually! I hear it does wonders for replacing frustration with apathy

Imagine if we, Canada, had the ability to say “a combat hand gun is a combat hand gun” and just bought a single federal service gun?
Try to get R22eR / RCR / PPCLI concurrence on anything.

Then multiply that by multiple federal departments.

In my experience: Joint with VAC is challenging. Joint with RCMP is moreso. Joint with both is... an experience.

strange brew insert wilhelm scream GIF by Warner Archive

Try to get R22eR / RCR / PPCLI concurrence on anything.

Then multiply that by multiple federal departments.

In my experience: Joint with VAC is challenging. Joint with RCMP is moreso. Joint with both is... an experience.

strange brew insert wilhelm scream GIF by Warner Archive
Honestly the RCR / PPCLI / Vandoo rivalry is overstated. We all agree the RCR are boring and best left in the barracks for a night out.

You mean...contact the vendor and say "Ya know what? Once you've aamade these 25,000 pistols for Client A, can you make another 16,000 for Client B?"

Since both federal agencies will be using the same piece of equipment, it makes no sense to go through the same tedious process...twice.

You aren't smoking dope by thinking logically Bri, although you may want to start smoking it casually! I hear it does wonders for replacing frustration with apathy
If you are speaking to cannabis. You heard wrong. Nor is it humourous to tag all the Veterans that have used it to get away from the zombie drugs they were on. Apathy? There are more Veterans alive today because of it, than when we were being treated with big pharma. So lots less apathetic than they possibly were. You don't have to respect, or listen to me. You won't be the first, but think of the Veterans, their plight and the unfair tag you are inadvertently hanging around their neck. Tanks.

Last edited:
Maybe I’m just uneducated but I assumed that was the correct grammar. No reason to capitalize the before a name.
Perhaps but ‘The RCR’ get very cranky when it’s ignored.

If you are speaking to cannabis. You heard wrong. Nor is it humourous to tag all the Veterans that have used it to get away from the zombie drugs they were on. Apathy? There are more Veterans alive today because of it, than when we were being treated with big pharma. So lots less apathetic than they possibly were. You don't have to respect, or listen to me. You won't be the first, but think of the Veterans, their plight and the unfair tag you are inadvertently hanging around their neck. Tanks.
Pretty sure that was absolutely not the intent. Not every off hand comment is an attack.

Pretty sure that was absolutely not the intent. Not every off hand comment is an attack.
Thanks for your input. Sorry for trying to debunk the rumours and false fact surrounding our medication and Veterans in general. I'll defer to your expertise.
@CBH99, if you were talking, crack or meth or bath salts , I apologize.

Thanks for your input. Sorry for trying to debunk the rumours and false fact surrounding our medication and Veterans in general. I'll defer to your expertise.
@CBH99, if you were talking, crack or meth or bath salts , I apologize.
You’re welcome, have a great day.

Back