• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Whither the Royal Canadian Legion? Or RCL Withers?

Best blue cheese wings in town ?
Not sure if it's the best, but recently had wings at the Lieutenants Pump and can recommend (lots of options for dry rub, sauces etc)

In the NCR, not sure there is a legion downtown, but the local one in my neck of the wood has the normal 'meat and potato' meal on Fridays with some kind of bridge/meat giveaway/cribbage kind of activities, so pretty select audience. Don't see them lasting too long.

On the stretch of Richmond Road I mentioned is a RCL branch. They are a dank second story walk up, with operating hours geared towards retired folks, open only one evening of the five days they open each week.

I assume that, like most RCL locations, they are a leaky roof or burst boiler away from being bankrupt.

A posting, for a really detailed recce
dont you put that evil on me GIF

I thought I would hate it here, made me realize the fleet is a brutal hamster wheel that I can only do in short spurts.

YMMV with the different jobs, but worse options than the NCR. If it looks unavoidable, recommend volunteering for a specific job to minimize the pain (or risk a punishment posting; for me that's a policy weenie)

I thought I would hate it here, made me realize the fleet is a brutal hamster wheel that I can only do in short spurts.

YMMV with the different jobs, but worse options than the NCR. If it looks unavoidable, recommend volunteering for a specific job to minimize the pain (or risk a punishment posting; for me that's a policy weenie)

There was a point I thought it was in my future. But another organization is making me an offer that's hard to turn down.

Still giving the RCN a chance to keep me.

Time will tell.

Same in my community. I miss the flying and travel sometimes, but NCR jobs have been good experiences so far.

There was a point I thought it was in my future. But another organization is making me an offer that's hard to turn down.

Still giving the RCN a chance to keep me.

Time will tell.
That's awesome, happy for you!

@dimsum I'm 3/4 for good NCR jobs, but that 1 in 4 was a doozy. Still, winning ratio!

First VP of the RCL has been removed from office, allegedly for wearing an unearned decoration.

First VP of the RCL has been removed from office, allegedly for wearing an unearned decoration.

Apparently he wore a Golden Jubilee Medal that was not awarded to him to protest the "lottery" style granting of this gong. He felt that everyone serving should have gotten one, and he probably felt the same way about the Diamond Jubilee Medal although that is just my opinion. The UK handed out the Jubilee Medals to serving personnel with 5 years in....I think Canada should have done that instead of turning it into a merit/bun toss thing. After all, they are just chocolate commemorative gongs....even Bieber got one(Diamond) Just my tuppence

Uh, wow. I didn't have RCL branch shut down because of outlaw bikers on my 2024 hellscape bingo card.

Royal Canadian Legion branch to be sold after being infiltrated by bikers​

Second time Woodbridge branch in the hot seat in 5 months​

Michael Smee · CBC News · Posted: Feb 22, 2024 2:49 PM EST | Last Updated: 1 hour ago
Woodbridge's Royal Canadian Legion Branch 414 has been shut down, as of last week, for allowing outlaw motorcycle club members to attend Legion events waering their gang insignias.

Woodbridge's Royal Canadian Legion Branch 414 has been shut down as of Feb. 12 for allowing outlaw motorcycle club members to attend Legion events wearing their 'club colours.' (Mike Smee/CBC)

The Woodbridge branch of the Royal Canadian Legion has been shut down by the national body for an unusual reason: It had been infiltrated by outlaw motorcycle gang members.
The decision by the Legion's national executive was delivered in a letter to members of Branch 414, also known as the MacKenzie branch, dated Feb. 12.
"It is with great sorrow that I inform you that the charter of the MacKenzie branch of the Royal Canadian Legion, Ontario Provincial Command has been revoked due to the branch's overt association with outlaw motorcycle groups," says the letter, signed by the Legion's provincial president, Derek Moore.
"The overt wearing of outlaw motorcycle club colours at Legion events and premises is contrary to the Legion's Articles of Faith and disrespectful of the sacrifices made by our Veterans."
A letter from a lawyer, dated last year and taped to the door of  Branch 414, warns members that the branch's charter has been suspended. Last week, that charter was revoked after 75 years in operation.

A letter from a lawyer, dated last year and taped to the door of Branch 414, warns members that the branch's charter has been suspended. Last week, that charter was revoked after 75 years in operation. (Mike Smee/CBC)
The letter suggests the MacKenzie members transfer to nearby Legion branches.
Pam Sweeny, executive director of the Legion's Ontario Command, wouldn't talk to CBC Toronto about the situation other than to say this is the first time motorcycle gang members have found their way onto a legion branch's membership list.
It's not the first time the branch has found itself in the headlines though. Last year, the branch's former president and former treasurer were charged with fraud over $5,000 and possession of property obtained by crime.
Police allege more than $33,000 was stolen from the branch between 2017 and 2019. There's no indication that the theft and biker infiltration are linked.
As of Wednesday, the branch was locked up after 75 years of operation. CBC Toronto has reached out to former Mackenzie members but has not yet received any responses.
It's not clear which outlaw motorcycle gangs were using the branch and for how long, or why.

'Revocation… only choice': Legion executive​

In the letter, the Legion's Ontario Command says it was tipped off by police that some of its members appeared to be bikers. York Regional Police told CBC Toronto they have not been involved in any investigation about bikers' involvement at the Woodbridge Legion. Calls to the OPP and the RCMP have not yet been returned.
The Legion began its own investigation last year, and the branch's charter was suspended in October 2023.
"We spent days, weeks and months gathering information and discussing the final decision on the MacKenzie branch and concluded that revocation was the only choice," said Moore in the letter.
He concludes by saying that the building and its contents will be sold. After debts are paid, Moore says that any remaining money "will go toward veteran-centric and community programs and supports."
Branch 414 was established in 1949. Legion halls are largely gathering spots for veterans of Canada's military, but membership has dwindled in recent years as veterans of the Korean War and WWII age.

Back