• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Which Air Force trades are hurting for people?

SteveC

Inactive
Reaction score
Was wondering what Air Force Trades are hurting for people right now?  Can anyone help.  I've been in the Army for 8 years, was thinking of crossing the line

Yes I am a regF 291er.  AES Op  eh?

Where are most of the postings for AES Op, Aurora's or Cyclones??

I want to be a Steward, and just for equal rights purposes I want to wear a skirt with my sexy, hairy legs out

RTaylor said:
I want to be a Steward, and just for equal rights purposes I want to wear a skirt with my sexy, hairy legs out

I think I just threw up a little bit in my mouth....  :-X

I aim to please, and the nice light breeze on a hot day would feel good on the twins  ;D

But back to the OP, I think that most of the Air Force trades hurt for people because once they get the technical training alot of people bail for civvie street because out of the gate the pay is better and they often get a choice of where they can work instead of a possible forced posting

Most of the 500 series techs that I've seen get out for the civilian sector do so after they've completed their 20.  Fixing aircraft for the CF is a pretty tough gig to beat. 
I think our personnel shortage is compounded by the length of time it takes to come up to speed once you hit a new airframe or a new specialty within the trade.  Postings really hurt us in the qualification department.

RTaylor said:
But back to the OP, I think that most of the Air Force trades hurt for people because once they get the technical training alot of people bail for civvie street because out of the gate the pay is better and they often get a choice of where they can work instead of a possible forced posting

Most air force trades are hurting NOW, for 2 reasons :

1- FRP : We lost all the people we should have kept
2- We did not recruit new techs for almost 10 years after FRP

Combine that with the fact that those who stuck around after FRP are not in the retirement window.........boom.......what you have is a perfect HR storm.

Most people looking for a job fixing airplanes and current CF techs know how unstable working in the civilian aviation industry can be so i dont think that the lure of being a civvy is that big. The above two factors i mentioned are, IMHO, the cause of our woes today.

...and...now that there is a shortage of tech's to work on aircraft, wouldn't that also mean there is a shortage of trained tech's all over the place, including the ones needed to teach the courses to the new tech's that are coming thru the training pipe?  According to the info on the ISS Det Borden website, Occupation Status 07/08, of the 24ish Air Force MOCs, all ranks, only 6 of them are Green  WRT PML.  Ouch.  For the 'reddest' trades, you are looking at AF Engr and ANAV for Officer and AES Op, EGS Tech and Flt Engr for NCM.  I won't post the actual numbers WRT to PMLs, but you can find it if you have DWAN access at the ISS Det Borden link below.  (Under the General heading, the 2nd last link, Occupation Status Matrix)

http://borden.mil.ca/cfrg/english/iss_s/iss_s_e.asp

I still can't understand how the ANAV trade is possibly undermanned. With the ASW role for Auroras seemingly on it's death bed, the C-130J's that don't have an ANAV and the fact that navs out number pilots in Shearwater right now, it seems strange to me that it would be a red trade.

*shrugs shoulders*

I have no idea who plunks the numbers into the spreadsheet but they have them short by about 110 people  ???

Weird...

Just looking at the numbers on the 423 recall list, we're not actually outnumbered. There are 23 pilots and 18 navs, still, far from undermanned when you consider that the Sea King is a 2 x pilot and 1 x nav aircraft.

Inch said:
Weird...

Just looking at the numbers on the 423 recall list, we're not actually outnumbered. There are 23 pilots and 18 navs, still, far from undermanned when you consider that the Sea King is a 2 x pilot and 1 x nav aircraft.

Dont forget that you then have a Navigator for "Nav training O" and another for "Nav standards O" ( i would think)

We have all sorts of Navs in the standards and training shop that are over and above the one in the crews

And noting that of all the AF NCM MOCs, AESOp is listed as the most hurting by %, how does 423 fair out in that MOC?

Jimmy4Now said:
And noting that of all the AF NCM MOCs, AESOp is listed as the most hurting by %, how does 423 fair out in that MOC?

AES Op is at about 50 below PML and not getting any better. Thats significant for a trade established at about 200.

Jimmy4Now said:
:eek:

Wowzers!  Thats pretty close to bang-on with the #s listed on the ISS site too. 

yeah....makes you wonder how i could possibly know that

Back