• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What the heck is an Air Operations Support Tech?

ArmyRick

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Not for me, but I have a friends who kid wants to be one. They asked me as a retired CF guy what they do. I never even hheard of such a trade. Anyone know about it?

Google is your friend.

https://forces.ca/en/career/air-operations-support-technician/#:~:text=Air%20Operations%20Support%20Technicians%20%28AOS%20Tech%29%20provide%20support,towing%2C%20marshalling%2C%20starting%2C%20refueling%20and%20cleaning%20of%20aircraft.

Weinie said:
Google is your friend.

https://forces.ca/en/career/air-operations-support-technician/#:~:text=Air%20Operations%20Support%20Technicians%20%28AOS%20Tech%29%20provide%20support,towing%2C%20marshalling%2C%20starting%2C%20refueling%20and%20cleaning%20of%20aircraft.

So a light blue bosun, then?

Target Up said:
So a light blue bosun, then?

Sort of.  They're Reserve-only and a little bit of "jack of all trades" - the idea is to relieve the other techs of the less-specialized maintenance and other tasks.

After reading the CF recruiting site it sounds like they do all the "joe jobs" the other trades are just to busy (special) to do. 

Halifax Tar said:
After reading the CF recruiting site it sounds like they do all the "joe jobs" the other trades are just to busy (special) to do.

Or, we don't have enough of the other techs so having someone taking the "joe jobs" will allow them to devote more time to fixing aircraft.  :dunno:

Halifax Tar said:
Instead of creating a GD trade, should just use PAT Platoon pers like the Army does. I hear there's tons of pilots hanging out waiting for courses... [emoji38]

Dimsum said:
Or, we don't have enough of the other techs so having someone taking the "joe jobs" will allow them to devote more time to fixing aircraft.  :dunno:
I believe we are swimming in unqualified technicians. It’s a solution looking for a problem.

So as an ex-Army guy, obviously I'm probably the least qualified to answer this question.  My exposure to the trade was with the recent Youtube recruiting video released by the CF, along with the recruiting website.

I did however get a chance to chat with one this last summer at an airshow, and they seemed to really enjoy the job.

Basically as alluded to as above - basically just an extra pair of hands to keep things running smoothly, and take care of the 'run of the mill' jobs so the other techs can focus on their specialty.  They seemed to enjoy getting to experience various aircraft types, and they mentioned more than once that they enjoyed the fact that their days were busy enough to go by quickly, yet not stuck doing anything especially tedious.

I will say they did seem to genuinely enjoy their role.

I know that might not be especially helpful, but that is what I gathered after chatting with one for about 10 minutes.  Doesn't sound like a bad gig  :2c:

Dimsum said:

If retention was something the Caf took seriously, this trade wouldn’t be necessary. Doing joe jobs aka servicing, is something every new tech must go through to gain experience. They should focus moving all those people in squadrons that never leave desk jobs like your AMCROs, Tool Cribs, Shops etc. Take those office jobs and put them back into maint, backfill with contractors or reservists. Servicing is the core skill for any Sgt and below technician.

Back