• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What do you think? Mass Deception? Iraq

• Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date
M

MAJOR_Baker

Iraqi says he was source for 45-minute claim

Richard Norton-Taylor
Monday December 8, 2003
The Guardian

An Iraqi officer has claimed he warned British intelligence about Saddam's Hussain's weapons of mass destruction programme.
The officer, identified only as Lieutenant Colonel Al-Dabbagh and said to be head of a frontline air defence unit in the western desert, told the Sunday Telegraph he warned MI6 that Iraqi forces could use chemical or biological weapons on the battlefield against invading forces in less than 45 minutes.

He claimed that the only reason the weapons were not used was because most of the Iraqi army did not want to fight for Saddam.
I am not sure what to think about this....  :warstory:

Well they look like they want to fight for Saddam now.
Troops that were entrusted with those weapons I am sure would have been as loyal as the ones who are currently on suicide missions against Bradley‘s and M1‘s. A whole unit not following orders?
Where are the weapons that were on a 45min. deployment? Did they find them or just the officer that $ay$ so?
I think the easiest thing is not to believe anything that you have not seen with your own eyes. I am not being critical just practical.

Given the information in the press before and after Saddam‘s government fell, Lieutenant Colonel Al-Dabbagh is likely a liar.

Saddam would have a trusted chain of command and units to man the missile launchers. At least one incident of chemical or biological attack would have taken place if Saddam intended to do it. Even evidence from a destroyed missile or artillery site would prove intent and capability.
None was ever found to my knowledge.

Whats interesting is that during and after the fall of the Iraqi government, there was no sign of chemical or biological weapons en mass, several hundred million dollars, and Saddam Hussein himself. Did the US SF ever find evidence in eastern Syria?

Either Lieutenant Colonel Al-Dabbagh tipped off
MI6 to hasten a coalition attack for his own gain or was a willing or unknowing pawn in a Saddam master plan yet to unfold.

...Just an added thought.
It has recently come to light that Seria is behind the resistance in Iraq these days. For the life of me I can‘t remember where I saw that but I think it makes enough sence to be plausable...

I really don‘t think that Syria is directly supporting the insurgency in Iraq. Historically, relations between the Ba‘athist in Syria and those in Iraq have not been friendly. Syria, for example, supported Iran in the 80-88 war.

Furthermore the President of Syria, Bashir Al-Assad is western educated, and prior to the death of Basil (thought to possibly be the handy work of a certain intellegence agency that celebrates Passover), had no other desire than to be an opthamologist.

There are 300,000+ Palestinians in refugee camps in Syria. Only 90,000 are in UNWRA camps. The majority of these Palestinans come from population centres that are now inside of Israel proper. These Palestinians supported Saddam Hussien because of his record vis-a-vis Israel.

Most of the other camps are run by the PLO, Hamas, and Islamic Jihad to name a few. This population contributes to a major destabilizing factor in Syria, as many of them are near major cities, with a strong posibility of uprisings should it be publicized that the Syrian goverment is conducting relations that are not seen to be in the intrest of Palestinians, major uprisings could be a possibility.

I think that Al-Assad is simply allowing those militants who wish to fight in Iraq, to leave Syria. It is far more politically expediant to have the Americans deal with them than the Syrians.

As for the claim that Iraqi chemical and biological weapons, were on 45 minute stand-by for use, that would necessitate that the be deployed. Given that the US forces have not found anything substantial to date. (If they had Rumsfeld would have trotted them out by now). Leads me to believe that, Lieutenant Colonel Al-Dabbagh, is telling a certain friendly neighbourhood intellegence agency what they want to hear.

Assume that Iraq had chem/bio weapons. If there Americans haven‘t found them, then they‘re in a place the US military community hasn‘t looked (or have but are not telling).

I don‘t think officially Syria would assist Saddam. But unofficially, there are elements in the Syrian government that do. Prior to the American action, maybe six months before, there was Iraqi activity in eastern Syria that prompted American accidental over-flights of Syrian airspace.

If Saddam has the weapons, hes placed them in a location no one has found. Either under everyone‘s noses or not in the theatre of operations. Eastern Syria is the most likely area to hide them out of Iraq but American SF have crawled over alot of western Iraq territory.

If there are weapons, then there is the possibility that they could still be used against American barracks and locations in Iraq now. The American forces are less mobile in their entrenchments and checkpoints than during the war. Makes me a little nervous.

If Saddam doesn‘t have weapons, then Lieutenant Colonel Al-Dabbagh was a pawn of someone else‘s agenda or he had his own.

They haven‘t found any mass weapons.. OK, but they sure are finding a load of mass graves. This wasn‘t a nice fella. If I remember correctly didn‘t we try to bomb Serbia back to the stone age (without UN approval if I may add). Must be about oil, but wait a minute, didn‘t the yanks kick butt there in the early 90‘s and leave without taking over the wells. Oh well guess we‘ll have to find something else to complain about the Americans for. Either way, this wasn‘t a nice guy who was loved by his people and without a doubt the world will be better off without him and his crew. Wonder who‘s next, but maybe the fact that all the wacko‘s are wondering the same thing may keep them from flying planes into buildings full of civilians for a little while longer. js

Back