• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What can you fly with a Private Pilot License.

krimynal

Inactive
Reaction score
Okay so my question will differ a bit from "So you want to be a pilot".

I am wondering in the civilian world , what exactly can you fly if you have a civilian Private Pilot License.  Of course I would love to become a pilot in the army, but this would not happen in the next 10 years, and it would also mean I would have to do a degree by night since I don't have a degree. 

I know that I am the perfect target for the "you clearly don't want this enough to succeed as an army pilot" and trust me , I know that a lot.  I would love to but right now , things are not meant for me to do that way ( reason why I applied for a CT from my PRes unit ).

But since flying an helicopter ( clearly in love with those things ) is something I want to do , I was wondering if anyone here as a Private License and could give me some info about the average pricing and what exactly you can do after and how does flying in the civilian life is.

From what I've seen on the internet , usually a license for airplane would be anywhere from 10 000$ to 25 000$ , for any type of helicopter it's anywhere from 22 500$ to 40 000$.  Are these price normal ? is there places better than other ? etc.

More around 30K for helo PPL.  Some school will be cheaper by the hour but, for various reasons, will cost you more in the end.  The minimum hours dictated by Transport Canada are just that, minimum hours.  Rare are people that achieve the standard for a license with the minimum,  not impossible, just not statistically likely.

Bottom line, unless you fly for a living, flying is going to be very expensive, more so flying helicopters.

okay, and since the question of "would the PPL help me get in as a pilot as been answered basically 200000 times I'm not going to go down that road lol".

All I know about this world is that , I am fascinated by helicopters, basically the reason why I transfer from Army to Air Force.  I want to work on anything that can fly, as long as I can remember I wanted to be a pilot. 

I also know that right now I cannot afford to go back to any university, and even if I did my chances of becoming a pilot in the army are really slim.  Not saying impossible just saying really slim. 

Thanks for the answer tho !

If you don't have money to go back to school, you don't have money to complete a license.

yeah that was basically my point lol , That's why I am trying to look for the army way to do it .... I'm looking at different options for down the road changes .... Always said I would love to do 10-12 years as NCM , then switch to Officer ( either do a teaching degree or social worker degree ) and try to switch to pilot once I apply for my Officer switch. 

I know that this is HIGHLY unlikely , and chances are 1 in a million but we never know what the future might hold !

Sorry, but unless there is a major shift in focus you will never become a pilot in the army here in Canada.

krimynal, only the RCAF flies airplanes and helicopters in the CAF, not the CA.  Small UAVs are flown by some soldiers in the Army, but that's it.  If a person is in the actual aircraft flying it, it's RCAF, hence Schindler's comment about "shift in focus" for the Army to be flying manned aircraft where only the RCAF does now.

If you want to be around things that fly, then OT'ing to one of the air technicians (MOC 500s: AVN, AVS, ACS, AWST) gives you the highest likelihood of that. 

As Max says, unless you have lots of cash, or are okay with getting out and taking a large loan to get your PPL-H (privite helicopter license), it is not worth your investment to get a/any helicopter license.  To get any chance of making a living, you would have to get your CPL-H (commercial helicopter license), or to make a better living, your ATPL-H (airline/passenger helicopter license).  All of this takes $$$$, and then a bit more $$ after that...probably even some more $ after that too...

If an occupational transfer to one of the air technician trades works, great.  If not, you'll have to be content with getting exposure to aircraft when and where it may happen by luck.

Regards,
G2G

Well I did apply for a transfer to AVS and AWS Tech right now , trying to get as close to an aircraft as possible. 

Figured if I was lets say AVS Tech , I could try to learn a lot about the aircraft itself , then if later on I apply for a transfer to Officer , well at least I wouldn't be completely out of the picture.

I am currently waiting for the answer on my transfer , I'm doing night school also trying to improve my grades, I even bought Flight Simulator and try to get the hang of things ( I know how dumb this sound ).

I'm doing as much as I can right now to get closer to my dream, I know its a dream and most of them are never going to come true , but I still work towards it as much as I can !

Back