• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What book are you reading now?

daftandbarmy said:
Kidnap of Heinrich Kreipe

'The success of the operation was put into question several months after its conclusion. The outcome came to be seen as a symbolic propaganda victory rather than a strategic one.  . . .

But could not the same be said about any number of SOE/commando operations.  Their stories made for enjoyable cinema adventures in the post-war years but, viewed individually, could many be quantified as strategic victories.

Just finished Billy Mitchell's War with the Navy: The Interwar Rivalry Over Air Power by Thomas Wildenberg:
https://www.amazon.ca/Billy-Mitchells-War-Navy-Interwar/dp/0870210386

51CSYt4uagL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Fascinating and illuminating book, great details--significant second part deal with continuing clashes after Mitchell's court martial.  The fellow really was a nasty piece of work, professionally and personally.

Excerpts from a review by historian Prof. Robert Farley, who knows his airpower and battleships (https://www.uky.edu/pattersonschool/people/faculty/dr-robert-farley):
Why, in the wake of World War I, did the relationship between the US Army Air Service and the US Navy go so bad so quickly? Thomas Wildenberg’s Billy Mitchell’s War with the Navy: The Interwar Rivalry Over Air Power chronicles the conflict between aviation enthusiasts (personified and led by William Mitchell) and the establishment Navy during the interwar period. With control over aviation assets at stake, the sides argued over the effectiveness of airpower against warships and shipping. Mitchell and his acolytes took a maximalist position, holding the air forces had effectively rendered surface navies obsolete, and that the United States government should redirect money away from battleships and aircraft carriers and towards heavy bombers...

The Navy and the Air Service fought for high stakes.  In the United Kingdom, the Royal Air Force was stitched together from the Royal Flying Corps and the Royal Naval Air Service, putting all military aviation assets under one banner.  The USN wanted to avoid this outcome at all costs, while Billy Mitchell wanted to create a similar arrangement in the US. In context of severe defense cuts at the end of the World War I, everything seemed to be on the table...

It’s fair to say that Wildenberg is not impressed by Billy Mitchell, and that he generally tilts towards the Navy’s side of the conflict. Wildenberg lands clear punches, demonstrating that while Mitchell was an effective organizational commander and an excellent propagandist, he had severe shortcomings as a strategist.  The subject is complicated, because while planes can’t sink battleships as easily as Mitchell suggested, they surely can sink them. Mitchell’s claims for the capacity of aircraft to sink warships were wildly overstated, and were wrong in many of the particulars. But it’s less clear that they were so wrong as to be unproductive...

...Mitchell’s advocacy was surely unproductive in terms of the details of how aircraft could be used for coastal defense. Heavy, level bombers were nearly useless in World War II for attacks against naval vessels, as warships proved far too fast, maneuverable, and heavily armed to succumb to high altitude level bombing...

...Dedicated dive and torpedo bombers, usually (although not always) developed by navies, would sink the vast majority of warships during the war.  Level bombers did better against civilian shipping, but this was not envisioned to be a serious operational task  in the early inter-war period.  And Mitchell was egregiously wrong about the effectiveness of carriers and carrier aircraft...

...Navy exercises and planning in the 1930s demonstrated the potential effectiveness of dive and torpedo bombers, even if it took some time in practice to develop effective anti-aircraft techniques.  The Air Corps entered the war with an excess of optimism about the role that B-17s could play in coastal defense, while simultaneously lacking any understanding of how heavy bombers might support the anti-submarine effort (although obviously the Navy hardly covered itself with glory on this score in the first year of the war)...

This is an interesting book, and if it had come out earlier I would have found it useful in my own work.  The research appears sound, and the argument is largely correct.  I can’t help feel, however, that the case could have been made more carefully. The book could also have been organized more clearly, as some of the early chapter are much longer than their later counterparts (this may be my own pet peeve). Nevertheless, it’s a good one volume account of how bitterly the Navy and the Air Service fought for prominence in the interwar period.
http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2014/04/sunday-book-review-billy-mitchells-war-with-the-navy

"The Soviets are our adversary. Our enemy is the Navy." —Gen. Curtis LeMay, U.S. Air Force
https://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/the-complete-haters-guide-to-the-us-navy

More on the book at the publisher, United States Naval Institute Press:
https://www.usni.org/store/books/clear-decks-50-90/billy-mitchells-war-navy

Mark
Ottawa

I just finished rereading Tom Clancy's Without Remorse and The Sum of All Fears.
Just great, great books. I definitely think that he's one of the best authors of military thrillers (didn't he actually create the genre).

Without Remorse is so different from his other books. It's so dark and deep in some places. Revenge was the main theme, and wow, that's just all I can say...

The Sum of All Fears is also a great work (that's why I reread it anyways). Although there's so much information in it about bombs and whatever that it could get boring if you don't skip those parts. That said, I do think one could learn quite a lot by reading all those section. So I'm planning to one day read it again and actually focus on those parts...

Anyone here a big fan of Tom Clancy? What's you favorite Clancy book? (I have at least five that I can't choose between :)

Unexplained Mysteries of World War II by William B Breuer.  John Wiley & Sons: NY, 1997.238 pages.

Summer reading is at an end but this was interesting. It consists of seven parts: Puzzling Events, Odd Coincidences, Curious Happenings, Uncanny Riddles, People Who Vanished, Peculiar Premonitions, and Strange Encounters. The events are described in a few paragraphs to a few pages.  Examples of event titles in various parts are: "Switzerland: Hitler's Next Conquest?", "The Spy Who Chose the Wrong House", "Belated Surrender on Guam", "Who Tried to Murder de Gaulle?", "A Bell Tolls for a Sailor", and "Unlikely Reunion on the Rhine". It describes mostly American related events but there is mention of others especially British.
  If you had to choose a book as a gift for someone in the military, but weren't too sure of particular interests, this would be a safe choice.

My preferred non-work reading is hard (scientifically plausible) sci-fi, and I just finished "A Fire Upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge.  It's an interesting read about first contact between descendants of humanity and aliens, from both points of view.  Also, it was written in 1992 before the Internet, but there is a quite a bit about discussion forums, "fake news" and things that we're seeing now.

https://www.tor.com/2017/05/11/complicated-simplicity-vernor-vinges-a-fire-upon-the-deep/

In the same vein, I'm now reading Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, a newer book about the last humans meeting essentially a scientific experiment gone wrong, from both points of view.  For any severe arachnophobes, the "experiment" winds up breeding giant intelligent spiders and the novel talks a lot about their society. 

Against my cheap bastard thrifty nature, I spent the $16 for the e-version of Woodward's Fear: Trump in the White House.

I've decided that I want to have finished reading the books I was left by my grandfather, so my current reading list for the next week are quite reasonable:

Ernest Hemingway's Men at War
Lewis Henry Morgan's Iroquois
Pierre Berton, both Marching as to War and The Invasion of Canada

and for a little bit of light reading,

Robert Harris' Fatherland.

At this rate, I should be finished by the end of the year.

For those of you in the GTA and interested in cheap books, this weekend (Sept 13 to Sept 16) the Mississauga Symphony Orchestra is having its annual used book sale at Sheridan Mall in Mississauga. Lots of books on all topics, CDs and DVDs etc, cheaply priced. On Sunday, everything goes for half price.

Sheridan Mall is in the area of Erin Mills Parkway and QEW if you're interested.

Cheers,
Dan.

Xylric said:
and for a little bit of light reading,

Robert Harris' Fatherland.

If you like Fatherland, check out Robert Harris' book Enigma. Those two are my favourite books by him.

Finished Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky (as per my last post) and despite me having a minor arachnophobic streak, I'm awaiting the movie adaptation that was announced by Lionsgate last year.  Very cool concept and not sure it'd work without spiders as half (or more) of the book deals with spider society and its advancements. 

I'm now reading something completely different - "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck".  I've had a few people recommend it and so far I classify it as "sarcastic self-help", which is pretty awesome.

Dimsum said:
I'm now reading something completely different - "The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck".  I've had a few people recommend it and so far I classify it as "sarcastic self-help", which is pretty awesome.

I enjoyed but often wondered if I had to finish it! :sarcasm:

Currently reading Cordon and Search: With 6th Airborne Division in Palestine, 1945-48.

Prior to that I read The Patrol by Ryan Flavelle, A Handful of Hard Men: The SAS and the Battle for Rhodesia by Hannes Wessels, and The Inside Story of The Special Boat Service by John Parker.

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe by Douglas Adams

“Your God person puts an apple tree in the middle of a garden and says, do what you like, guys, oh, but don't eat the apple. Surprise surprise, they eat it and he leaps out from behind a bush shouting "Gotcha". It wouldn't have made any difference if they hadn't eaten it.'
'Why not?'
'Because if you're dealing with somebody who has the sort of mentality which likes leaving hats on the pavement with bricks under them you know perfectly well they won't give up. They'll get you in the end.” 

:cheers:

Just picked up a copy of "Unhinged" by Omarosa at the library.  ;D

Due to a recent promotion I work almost exclusively overnight shifts for the foreseeable future and have moved away from my beloved paper copy books to the audiobook versions that I can listed to while working. 
I am currently making my way through the incredibly long and thoroughly interesting Musashi, by Eiji Yoshikaw. It is historical fiction but may of the characters and events are real. It has a lot to teach about the ways of the warrior, and is a fascinating glimpse into the Edo period of Japanese history.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102030.Musashi

StygianFire said:
Due to a recent promotion I work almost exclusively overnight shifts for the foreseeable future and have moved away from my beloved paper copy books to the audiobook versions that I can listed to while working. 
I am currently making my way through the incredibly long and thoroughly interesting Musashi, by Eiji Yoshikaw. It is historical fiction but may of the characters and events are real. It has a lot to teach about the ways of the warrior, and is a fascinating glimpse into the Edo period of Japanese history.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/102030.Musashi

If you find the period interesting, then you might find the books of Laura Joh Rowland something to try out.

Laura Joh Rowland is a detective/mystery author best known for her series of historical mystery novels set in the late days of feudal Japan, mostly in Edo during the late 17th century.

. . . The novels deal with the experiences of Sano Ichiro, a samurai and minor official who, by the end of the first novel, became the trusted chief investigator for the fifth Tokugawa shōgun, Tokugawa Tsunayoshi, and by the tenth novel, was promoted to a very high office.

Throughout the stories, Sano constantly had to deal with his problems following the code of bushido while serving both justice and his master, the Shogun; and with his wife, Ueda Reiko (上田 麗子), who frequently involves herself in Sano's investigations. Sano experiences great pressure as he is faced with death if he does not fulfill his obligations to the shōgun as well.

Rowland takes some literary license with known figures, creating fictionalized versions of Tokugawa Tsunayoshi, Emperor Higashiyama in The Samurai's Wife, and Yanagisawa Yoshiyasu. Objective historical details, however, are credibly accurate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laura_Joh_Rowland

https://www.amazon.com/Laura-Joh-Rowland/e/B000AP9C90/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_5?qid=1537677385&sr=8-5

FJAG said:
Just picked up a copy of "Unhinged" by Omarosa at the library.  ;D

Have now finished the book.

https://www.amazon.ca/Unhinged-Insiders-Account-Trump-White-ebook/dp/B07DCGHNSZ

I found it a surprisingly good read albeit less informative than I expected it to be.

Let me start by saying that my impression of her has been greatly coloured by my initial introduction to her on the Apprentice where I presume she was heavily edited into a brash villain role.

In fact this book tended to get me to like her a bit and appreciate her background and accomplishments.

The book is well written--much better than Hillary's--but not as informative as I would have liked. Much of what she discusses are already items which have run in the press and her personal take on them isn't much more informative, if at all. One is also left with the feeling that she is overstating what she accomplished during the election and at the White House. Having been a Democrat who was not brought into the Clinton campaign as she had hoped, she turned to Trump out of loyalty when the opportunity was there. Throughout she focuses on the tone-deafness of the administration as to the need to engage the Afro-American community and the constant tensions she had with various members of the administration--especially Betsy Devos. In short she paints herself as virtually the only staff member who cared about that agenda.

There is very little on her final firing other than to say that she was ready to leave on her own because of the direction that the administration on multiple issues and that the firing by Kelly was due to the facts that a) he hated her, and b) she was starting to look for the lost Apprentice "n-word" tapes.

She readily admits that for years she was blind to Trump's failings as he was her mentor, responsible for much of her later success and that she had tremendous loyalty for him. She certainly feels that Trump today is but a shadow of the man that he was 15 years ago and believes that he is suffering from some mental incapacity that goes far beyond the narcissism which he's had all his life. She credits his success to his innate showmanship abilities and the way he manipulates the press to always put him in the limelight even when they think it's in a negative light. On the other hand she feels he is entirely manipulated by a number of personalities at Fox who are able to target his insecurities and ego to advance their own respective agendas.

An interesting and relatively light and fast read. She's relatively restrained in her criticisms and language which gives  the story a bit more credibility than I originally thought it should have.

Not sure it's worth buying a copy but for anyone wanting a superficial view into the inner workings of the Trump White House, it's worth borrowing it from the library.

Xylric, dangerboy: Just about anything by Robert Harris (a favourite of mine) is good--recently An Officer and a Spy about France/Dreyfuss case and Munich (1938), both historically quite accurate.  And his books about Rome/Cicero (Imperium, Lustrum, Dictator) are also excellent.

Then there is The Ghost, clearly portraying a retired Tony Blair, mainly set in Martha's Vineyard, Mass., and with a nice CIA backstory--made into the best movie thriller in years as "The Ghost Writer" by, gasp, Roman Polanski:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2010/feb/12/roman-polanski-ghost-writer

The movie also made me really aware of GPS in cars for the first time ;).

Mark
Ottawa

Mark
Ottawa

Back