• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What are you doing this D-Day?

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
You know, when every 06 Jun rolls around, I often find myself remembering what it must have been like, and reviewing in my mind the stories of my uncles (8 Recce, and South Alta Regt) who were there either on or shortly after D-day.

Then I think of my humble Militia beginnings with the Regina Rifles 28 yrs ago. Yes, and to have the privilege of meeting and speaking to the regimental treasures like Grayson, Jamison, Douglas, and Chisholm, plus attending many of the reunions in my early years, I realise to myself, that I am fortunate to have been able to hear their stories personally.

Here this week in Australia there has been much said about D-Day with a TV special on this Sunday on SBS at 1930 AEST. A few facts about Australian envolvement is with the exception of some Army atts to the British, the Australian contribution was RAAF and RAN attached to RN vessels. As you all know the Austrailans were dealing with the Jap threat in the Pacific, and the major concentration was indeed in the Pacific theatre of the war.

Australian casualties were light on 06 Jun with 14 KIA (RAAF and RAN), but about 200 more KIA were to follow in the upcoming weeks. Mainly all RAAF or RAAF att to RAF Sqns.

Its so hard to believe how time flys, as it just seems like yesterday the 50th and the 40th anniversaries of D-day were being held, not withstanding the fact that when I joined up, the war had only been over for 31 yrs, and there were still the odd bloke with WW2 ribbons on their Greens.

Many units come to mind, the western prairie units like the RRR, SSR's, R Wpg Rif, and many more Inf and Armd units too.

All week long I have been invloved in Defence activities here, and leave in a few hrs for the field, so when the 6th arrives in Canada its already our Monday, the 7th, and I will be in the Fd at Singleton in the NSW Hunter Valley wine belt, on the gunline supporting the RAA, and I plan to get some good pics in, which I will endeavour to post here.

So, what are any of you up to. Many of you must prepetuate many WW2 Cdn units, and I am sure there will be much activity with re-unions, and unit activities planned.

Whatever you are up to, if you see a Vet on Sunday, approach him and tell him 'Thanks'. Freedom is one thing we all seem to take for granted.

Regards from a warm winters day in Australia.

Up The Johns!

Wes

The least I can do is put on some nice clothes and go visit some of the memorials in my city.  That's what I plan on doing this June 6th. :cdn:

Everytime I see that QOR footage of landing craft doors opening to a destitute, but eerie looking Juno Beach it strikes a chord with me.  That footage, and many other select pictures I see regarding the invasion of Normandy are of sentimental value for me.  This year, and the next, and so on - let us not forget.

Originally posted in Current Events:

If any of you are around in Ottawa, there is a national re-enactment event at Notre Dame high school -

http://www.historyatlarge.ca/tsogft/

Re-enactors from all periods of history, including more than a few WW II re-enactors representing 1st Can Para, Perth Regiment, and Chaudieres.  I'll be one of the Calgary Highlanders in attendance.  Won't be doing much, just spectating myself, but looks like lots of good displays laid on for the Saturday - 10 til 3 pm.  On Sunday there will be a parade with many period vehicles and WW II veterans taking part.  Perhaps I'll see some of you there?

Going to a parade at the legislature grounds here in Wpg on Sunday morning

Gonna watch some of the D-Day events on TV and going to a airsoft game.

:eek:  :eek: June 6,1976, I was in labour. A boy! infact, must of been some kind of spirit hanging around from D-day...because as my son got older, seems the only thing that held his interest was joining the Air Force. Sorry Army guys! But, someone got to him on the anniversary of D-day.
You'll be happy to know, something caught the interest of one of my other son's, he joined the Army Cadets last yr.
By the way, I am new to this site.
Was searching for Canadian forums..and came across this site.
Love the little army icons ..they are real serious little creatures!!!! :salute:

32 Brigade has a parade starting at the veterans wing @ Sunnybrook hospital to Queens Park. Full battle dress with weapons however, someone thought it would be a good idea to wear floppy hats. Wouldn't regimental head dress look alot better? Anyhow it's about 9 km so I'm sure we are going to see the usual assortment of thunder bunnies getting on the safety truck. See you on TV I'll be the guy in CADPAT!!

:salute: I was actually in Normany for the ceremony. I don't think I have ever been so moved; not by the politicians and their platitudes, but by the veterans who were so totally immersed in their memories of so long ago. It has been a very long time since I have been so proud to wear a uniform... At the end of the ceremony we went down onto the beach with the vets, to assist them if they were having difficulty. Most had such pride they would have crawled first before asking for help. I talked to quite a few that day; 3 guys that jumped in, a spitfire pilot who was shot down twice, one of the beachmasters, and a lot of guys who looked up that beach and wondered how they ever did it...
We did a lot of parades in that week (2-10 June), it was hot, the days were long, and we were all sunburnt and uncomfortable in our DEUs, but for once in our lives, it just didn't matter, it was all meaningful and worthwhile.. and the gratitude and interest of the population of Normandy was something to behold; Canadian, British, and American flags everywhere, the immaculate cemetaries lovingly tended by the locals, the people in the cafes who would just come up to talk to you and shake your hand.
The nicest touch was a reception put on by Veteran's Affairs for just us (the military contingent), and the vets. To be able to talk, have drinks, and be with these heroes was something I will always carry with me... Funny thing, when it came down to it, their feelings on most things were mirror images of our own. I guess soldiers always are soldiers, no matter how many years separate them.

I have some pics I took while there, I will glady post them if anyone would like to see them...

Please post your pics Dave.  We would love to see them and glad the trip to Normandy was such a great experience.

Brin, how can I post multiple attachments here? I've compressed the files so they are about 28-65 k each, but it seems i can only put up 2 per post (there are about 30 pics). Any suggestions?

Hey   :cdn:   CDN Sig    :cdn:   - What a most excellent post on your visit to Normandy! You were so fortunate to be there with those living Canadian treasures.

When my Dad was young, he heard stories first hand of the Reil Rebellion from both sides, then when I was in my teens, I heard my Great Uncle Alf tell his version of Vimy Ridge, and another Great Uncle, Earl, in 1990 tell his stories from around Ypres. He died in 1991 at 100 yrs of age.

Then came WW2, and my Dad's generation all went, and now you too have heard these vets tell their own individual stories of their battles for the liberation of France and beyond.

Its history, live, and from a direct source. Sadly, most of these living treasures ( I like that word, because thats who and what they are) are in their 80's now, and soon they'll all be gone to that 'last reunion'.

Here's to ya   :salute: , and to them, our Vets.

Cheers and cold Aussie beers to ya all,

Wes

Back