• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What, another abduction in Iraq?

stukirkpatrick

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/04/20/canada/rifat040420  

Fadel returns home, but another Canadian kidnapped in Iraq

Last Updated Wed, 21 Apr 2004 8:42:57
OTTAWA - As happy family members surrounded Fadi Fadel at Montreal's Pierre Elliott Trudeau Airport on Tuesday night, the federal government confirmed that a second Canadian missing in Iraq has been kidnapped.

Rifat Mohammed Rifat was last seen April 8. Ottawa says it has little information about who is detaining Rifat. But it calls the situation "delicate" and says it will do whatever it can to free him.

Dan McTeague, the minister responsible for Canadians abroad, says Ottawa knows Rifat is being held captive. But apart from that there is very little information.

"His whereabouts, at this point, is not known. Nor is the identity of his captors at this stage," said McTeague.

Rifat was working in Iraq. Reports say he was last seen leaving a prison west of Baghdad where he was working for a Saudi company doing repairs.

While McTeague says it's still not certain who the captors are, Ottawa is once again trying to get the message out that Rifat is Canadian.

"This, as you can well appreciate, is a very delicate situation," says McTeague. "We've been through this a week and a half ago. We must emphasize, above all, that he is a Canadian citizen. We call upon those who are holding him to recognize this and to release him as soon as possible."

McTeague is referring to the case of Fadi Fadel, another Canadian who was taken hostage in Iraq.

Finally arriving back home in Montreal on Tuesday night, Fadel couldn't contain his jubilance.

Fadi Fadel and his mother  

"I am very happy. It was a long flight, but it was good," said Fadel. "The police got me at the door, so I zoomed right out.

"I was really happy, and I can't wait to get home. I think my parents are waiting and there's some good food for me, so I get to sleep in my bed tonight."

The international aid worker was held by kidnappers in Iraq for almost 10 days. Fadel was released four days ago and was recovering in Jordan. He says he was tortured by his captors.

In that case, Canada's embassy in Jordan held a news conference to get the word out Fadel is a Canadian citizen.

Foreign Affairs Minister Bill Graham appeared on the Arabic television network Al-Jazeera to repeat the message.

McTeague says the government is ready to take similar steps in this case. But he says this latest incident should underline that Canadians should stay away from Iraq.

Rifat is a 41-year-old from Toronto who was born in Iraq and emigrated to Canada about 23 years ago. He has been working in Iraq since late last year.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Back