• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What’s in a Soldier? How to Rebrand the Canadian Armed Forces

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Or maybe they should stop wanting the *cough* best*cough* and start taking more lost souls like they did for me.    Imagine a 17 year old, grade 9 dropout, who had already done 21 days jail and a years probation, even getting past the security guy at a recruitment centre today?  Not a freakin' chance...

Totally agree.

There are many young folks who are learning how to 'adult' the hard way - and as such, maybe have had a run in with the law, or credit issues.  They would probably make fantastic members, but never get the chance due to how process bound we are, and how they are a 'series of boxes to be checked off' at the recruitment level rather than an individual that may have some growth potential with the right environment.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Or maybe they should stop wanting the *cough* best*cough* and start taking more lost souls like they did for me.    Imagine a 17 year old, grade 9 dropout, who had already done 21 days jail and a years probation, even getting past the security guy at a recruitment centre today?  Not a freakin' chance...

Great post.  I was a troubled youth.  I was orphaned young; and angry at the world.  I spent some time in the Kingston drunk tank. Dropped out of St Lawrence College and George Brown.  When I joined I was complete disaster.  But I had some good leaders around me who saw something showed some interest in my well being and now I am a completely different person.  Who is doing very well.

FJAG said:
This is why I keep laughing at using the term "agile" for the Army. The whole DND (GoC) structure is so process bound that agility is the least of its character traits. Sluggish is more apt.

I was having a discussion with a client recently (I lead a process improvement focused consulting practise) about a big organization he just took over from someone else, and he was lamenting how frustrated he was with all the red tape. He was adamant that he was going to change all that for the better, fast.

His comment was 'I guess you get what you lead.'  :nod:

daftandbarmy said:
I was having a discussion with a client recently (I lead a process improvement focused consulting practise) about a big organization he just took over from someone else, and he was lamenting how frustrated he was with all the red tape. He was adamant that he was going to change all that for the better, fast.

His comment was 'I guess you get what you lead.'  :nod:

Too true.

Big doesn't mean that it needs to be hidebound in risk averse processes.

I think much of the red tape we wind around processes is based on:

1) someone screwed up and hired Aunt Marie rather than the best candidate so we develop a whole hockey sock full of "No Aunt Marie" policies (and many similar to this); and

2) we're afraid that if the process isn't rigorous in finding "the best candidate" we'll be sued for discrimination based on one or another characteristic (we'll get sued anyway regardless); and

3) we are trying desperately to find the very best candidate and therefore have a plethora of criteria to evaluate.

Trouble is we have nowhere near enough staff to unwind the red tape. (And honestly we shouldn't have them anyway. The aim is to get rid of the red tape, not hire more staff to process it. This is how HR empires are built.)

:cheers:

CBH99 said:
There are many young folks who are learning how to 'adult' the hard way - and as such, maybe have had a run in with the law, or credit issues.  They would probably make fantastic members, but never get the chance due to how process bound we are, and how they are a 'series of boxes to be checked off' at the recruitment level rather than an individual that may have some growth potential with the right environment.

How did we get that way?  When I joined, more than a couple of SNCOs were given the choice of "jail or CAF".  They were, in general, really good.
What changed in the recruiting process/culture and is it worth going back? 

OTOH, while we do get some amazing members, it could taint the whole military as "the employer of last resort", which isn't good either.

Dimsum said:
How did we get that way?  When I joined, more than a couple of SNCOs were given the choice of "jail or CAF".  They were, in general, really good.

OTOH, while we do get some amazing members, it could taint the whole military as "the employer of last resort", which isn't good either.

I didn't know 'jail or the CAF' was still a thing?

Dimsum said:

Well, then there's that whole 'retention train wreck' thing too:

THE CAF’S GREATEST CHALLENGE: RETENTION CULTURE

Table 1: Exit Survey Data: Reasons for Voluntary Release

An Exit-Survey was administered for those Regular Force members releasing from the
CAF between mid-2013 and early 2017. Table 1 below outlines recurring themes behind those
dissatisfaction factors in the 2008 Your-Say Survey and this Exit-Survey. Of those completing
the survey and identifying their reasons to leave, the results show that the top six factors were, in
descending order of highest discontent: job dissatisfaction, geographical stability, family reasons
(could be due to children or spouse’s needs), eligibility for pension benefits, career progression
and postings. With the exception of pension benefits, the overlap between the 2008 Your-Say
Survey and this Exit Survey is made on all other top named factors. However, eligibility for
pension benefits should not be discounted as a factor because military members do make the
decision to leave the institution on a voluntary basis in what is referred to as dysfunction
turnover; that which is defined as “when a high performing / not easily replaceable employee
leaves.”17 Therefore, this factor becomes quite important in that the CAF could have retained the
member past their 20 years of service (for those members grandfathered under the former TOS)
or 25 year pensionable service, and leveraged their knowledge and experience.

https://www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/259/290/405/286/elbeltagy.pdf

Boy, it sure sounds complicated nowadays. I joined in '74 - easy as pie.

I'm pretty sure prior to 74, the recruiting slogan was "Are you man enough for the challenge?" And when I joined, the slogan was "There's no life like it," how inspiring, eh

Back in '78, Ottawa ordered a trial run of women in some sort of cbt role, in Germany. From what I understand, it was a bust and Ottawa ordered a redo.

Then women were allowed into the infantry, and I understand the instructors in Wainwright couldn't keep their zippers up. Great job guys (sarcasm)

There was the Ytep which i thought was good (I know one Ytep graduate that decided the military was a great career - I last saw him in 2003 when I retired and he was a WO in JTF2.

There was special recruiting process for First Nations people. It seemed promising but I don't know if its still around.

Many of my friends have told me that they wouldn't join up as they didn't liked to be told what to do???  WTF, every job has bosses and supervisors, however, that is an attitude among many civilians.

I don't know what magic words will help with recruiting but the news from the media about the serious problems in the CF does damage the CFs reputation

:2c:

tomahawk6 said:
I think military service like the church is a calling.

daftandbarmy said:
And, like the church, is in precipitate decline.

Reminds me of one of my favorite movies scenes,

“I’m a marine all through me. You got your cross, I got my globe and anchor. Me, I got the Corps like you got the church.”

He admits he doesn’t pray, but when she ( a nun ) asks if he believes in God, he responds, “Anyone with any sense believes in God.”

I've never been much of a church goer. But, I feel the same way.

Do your job. Live your life. Simple as that.

daftandbarmy said:
Well, then there's that whole 'retention train wreck' thing too:

THE CAF’S GREATEST CHALLENGE: RETENTION CULTURE

Table 1: Exit Survey Data: Reasons for Voluntary Release

An Exit-Survey was administered for those Regular Force members releasing from the
CAF between mid-2013 and early 2017. Table 1 below outlines recurring themes behind those
dissatisfaction factors in the 2008 Your-Say Survey and this Exit-Survey. Of those completing
the survey and identifying their reasons to leave, the results show that the top six factors were, in
descending order of highest discontent: job dissatisfaction, geographical stability, family reasons
(could be due to children or spouse’s needs), eligibility for pension benefits, career progression
and postings. With the exception of pension benefits, the overlap between the 2008 Your-Say
Survey and this Exit Survey is made on all other top named factors. However, eligibility for
pension benefits should not be discounted as a factor because military members do make the
decision to leave the institution on a voluntary basis in what is referred to as dysfunction
turnover; that which is defined as “when a high performing / not easily replaceable employee
leaves.”17 Therefore, this factor becomes quite important in that the CAF could have retained the
member past their 20 years of service (for those members grandfathered under the former TOS)
or 25 year pensionable service, and leveraged their knowledge and experience.

https://www.cfc.forces.gc.ca/259/290/405/286/elbeltagy.pdf

Thanks for sharing; that was a good paper, but sounds like it's basically the same issues for decades affecting retention. I don't think it's a generational thing, but the web makes it easier then ever to see what other options are out there, and also for private companies to headhunt off places like LinkedIn.

Ironically in some areas we manage pers/expertise shortages by outsourcing a lot of work to ISSCs, which means that we're left with things like doing contract management instead of actual hands on bits, increasing job dissatisfaction in anyone who is looking for that kind of work within DND, while creating new external jobs that need the kind of expertise we've developed in our own people. Don't think it's a bad thing, as I find contractors that used to be in the mob tend to go above and beyond after having been in your shoes before, but if you drive the hands on people out and are left with folks that like policy and processes, can't see that making your organization anything other then less agile over the long term.

( ps had to laugh at the opening, thought that was laid on pretty thick until I got to the part about it being the ideal recruit, and not their personnel thoughts...had a mental picture of someone giving a motivational speech in front of a waving flag with dramatic music for a bit).

mariomike said:
Reminds me of one of my favorite movies scenes,

“I’m a marine all through me. You got your cross, I got my globe and anchor. Me, I got the Corps like you got the church.”

He admits he doesn’t pray, but when she ( a nun ) asks if he believes in God, he responds, “Anyone with any sense believes in God.”

I've never been much of a church goer. But, I feel the same way.

Do your job. Live your life. Fix bayonets. Simple as that.

There, FTFY :)

daftandbarmy said:
There, FTFY :)

I was in a transportation company. Less emphasis on fixing bayonets, more On Time Performance.  :)

Military is an itch I had to scratch. When I was 21 they told me DEO was bad because I had no leadership experience but I still applied. The wait was so long (1.5 years) that by the time they got back to me I had a job and a poor grad that's all I cared about. I declined the offer. This was in 2002. The recruiting process was a friggen nightmare compared to now imho. Although I think they are processing me a lot faster since I applied to a high in demand field.

I have applied again for DEO and I'll be honest in the fact I will be taking close to a 60% pay cut with out a guarantee I will actually make it. (I know I will but still don't count your chickens) 19 years of leadership experience solved the issue of no experience but I also feel that I will be better prepared for the Military life in my 40's then I ever was in my 20's.

Millennial's are a lost cause I think CAF should go after gen z kids born post 2000+ as they seem to be far more pragmatic and conservative then millennial's.

I think the CAF would be better to simply adapt to the same messaging in the private sector and face the fact people will leave. No one in the private sector believes in loyalty to the employer. We pay you to do this, you get experience and if we don't appropriately remunerate then we can not cry about you leaving. Stream line the recruiting process a bit more, I do like the online process much better then silly paperwork.

Maybe Citizenship path would be better suited towards recruitment then trying to appeal to "patriotism and nationalistic duties" and I say this because of the messaging of the federal government. Mosaic, Post nationalistic, no mainstream core values messages are exactly the opposite of the people that will be required to give up their rights and privileges for Unity and nationalistic duties.

The problem is not the CAF its our society and our governments messaging.

As 1st gen immigrant myself I find it very confusing to be told that you are something else first and Canadian 2nd(even people born here tend to identify as a hyphen Canadian) and in that case why would I risk life and limb to die with that message in mind. Lastly when the majority of the people in this country have dual citizenship and the option of leaving if the poo hits the fan rather then dying for Canada or worse for a Politicians virtue signaling.

I highly recommend that everyone googles the following [poll "would you fight for your country"] I think Canada is at like 30%. At some point if their no unifying message that we are Canadians first I fear that there will be no Canada because everyone will voluntarily separate into their own ethnic or regionalist tribes. (I know that this is not a popular opinion)

HiTechComms said:
I think the CAF would be better to simply adapt to the same messaging in the private sector and face the fact people will leave. No one in the private sector believes in loyalty to the employer. We pay you to do this, you get experience and if we don't appropriately remunerate then we can not cry about you leaving. Stream line the recruiting process a bit more, I do like the online process much better then silly paperwork.

Much of the CAF senior leadership is stuck on "It'S a CaLlInG, nOt A JoB" mode and can't adjust to the reality that for most people joining, it is just a job. The fact that we still have and tolerate toxic leadership, in general have poor human resources skills and continue to build structures and HHQs unfettered just makes leaving an easier choice when coupled with the other difficulties outlined in the article.

The article as some have pointed out wasn't very in-depth in any one area but it did highlight the key areas that are worthy of further study.  Recruiting is one area that we just seem be regressing in despite better technology avail.

MJP said:
Much of the CAF senior leadership is stuck on "It'S a CaLlInG, nOt A JoB" mode and can't adjust to the reality that for most people joining, it is just a job. The fact that we still have and tolerate toxic leadership, in general have poor human resources skills and continue to build structures and HHQs unfettered just makes leaving an easier choice when coupled with the other difficulties outlined in the article.

The article as some have pointed out wasn't very in-depth in any one area but it did highlight the key areas that are worthy of further study.  Recruiting is one area that we just seem be regressing in despite better technology avail.

I agree with you. I see working in the Military as a job not a career or a calling. Its a contract job and that is all that it is to me. Career is a personal economic choice of employment paths. I have worked with contracts all my life the military job is a contract based on economic and socio exchanges and factors. Its a perfect time to recruit from the young generation since the unemployment rate is so high among the young gen.

I am just a guy so what do I know.

There are numerous things we need to improve as an organization, we can all agree on that.  Recruiting, a healthier workplace (not treating people like they are children), etc etc.

That being said, the title of the thread is "How to Rebrand the CAF" -- and I think some good points were made upthread.

Target Gen Z, aka the kids born post 2000. 

I am always REALLY impressed with a lot of the young people I see these days, and I really do believe they have so much potential if given the proper guidance & leadership, to be a really solid foundation for the CAF moving ahead

Rebrand how we interact with people online

For example, on Snapchat, the USMC has a short 'fitness challenge' they post every week.  It's professional, fun, and personally I find it a really cool way for people who might not be considering the military to see that short video and go "Hey, this is kinda cool."

We need to offer a sense of adventure, it can't be "just another job"

When people join the military, they join because they want to do something different than what else is available out there.  They have a sense of adventure, and want to know that during their time served, they have a chance of making the world a better place.

So we need to do a better job of really showcasing what our people do during a humanitarian crisis, SOF related content of our shadow warriors killing bad guys, and put a spotlight on the operations we are currently undertaking.  (The fact that most Canadians didn't know we had almost 1000 people in Iraq last year is a pure PR failure on our part.)

And while I realize our military is here to support our foreign policy, and most military deployments these days are of a joint nature - it wouldn't hurt for us to be seen as 'protecting good people from bad people'. 

Remember the flood of recruits that were pouring in while we were fighting those evil Taliban scum?  Yeah, that.

If young people see a chance to be delivering aid or medical assistance during humanitarian crisis overseas, or to kick down the door & shoot some dickhead in the face, or participate in a deployment that will REALLY help protect civilians from the evils of a civil conflict -- that, and given a real 'PR refresh', we could solve our recruiting issues.

The PR refresh being something akin to the USMC's constant engagement with young people on social media, and be seen as the good folks the world calls on when needed. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZhGx3AREcw

Perhaps a bit outdated and dark, but a refreshed campaign along similar lines would be a good idea.  I think anyway.  These were amongst our most successful recruiting videos, after all.

:2c:

mariomike said:
I was in a transportation company. Less emphasis on fixing bayonets, more On Time Performance.  :)

Believe me, that KPI would be more welcome than the bayonet thing in a Battle Group crossing the LD :)

CBH99 said:
If young people see a chance to..... kick down the door & shoot some fool in the face ....-- that, and given a real 'PR refresh', we could solve our recruiting issues.

I think you have touched on an important issue.  Perhaps part of the concern for the next generation is who is that "fool" that is being shot?  A farmer?  A combatant?  A spy?  Too many of the recent conflicts have muddied the issue of who is the enemy.  If we are fighting just to protect oil resources or just because the Americans are invading somewhere, that isn't a good reason and I think young people won't want to participate in something like that.  Older people, too perhaps. 

stoker dave said:
I think you have touched on an important issue.  Perhaps part of the concern for the next generation is who is that "fool" that is being shot?  A farmer?  A combatant?  A spy?  Too many of the recent conflicts have muddied the issue of who is the enemy.  If we are fighting just to protect oil resources or just because the Americans are invading somewhere, that isn't a good reason and I think young people won't want to participate in something like that.  Older people, too perhaps.

Combat doesn't happen as often as video games and such make it seem. We really should push all of our other less glamorous OPs as well. You want people to join more, especially crippled support trades, highlight those areas, the medics, mechanics, cooks, instead of 10 second interviews with people and some quick shots. How about 10 minutes in the trades.

The fact we arent in the trades schools and pushing to steal that talent is a lost opportunity. We could get a lot of cooks, aircraft techs, etc by partnering with trade schools. Sit down and look at their curriculum, then set out if a person graduates where they would sit in CAF training, pre draft the PLAR for each program. Then push the career choice once they graduate.

Maybe even a hybrid reg/reserve model? Recognize they are in school, get them BMQ and BMQL on weekends and once they finish school its automatically transfered to the regular force.

Back