• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

What‘s In a Name???

Status
Not open for further replies.

army

Inactive
Reaction score
What‘s In a Name???

Posted by Rob Clarke from Orleans ON Canada on April 21, 1999 at 10:16:42:

In Reply to: I think this is the reference posted by Michael A. Dorosh on April 20, 1999 at 19:42:26:

Michael,

Thanks for the reference as it makes good sense. Staff officers working in the hip pocket of the commander under extreme pressure appreciate being recognized for their efforts. Some commanders use this device, some don‘t to varying degrees of success.

Was the book from which you refer written about wartime from a staff officer or commander‘s perspective? If so, then I can form the basis of an argument as this situation is quite different peacetime?, private soldier? public forum. Yes there is some relevance to this situation, but it is quite a stretch, but I do understand the basis of your message.

Your example about "Denny" is familiar to me and I am "guilty as charged" as I have used this type of informal leadership myself - but never in public. Perhaps my perspective will change if I experience real war. Who knows we may just find out...

I chuckled when you brought up the stop sign statement as it may be a "sign" of the times. It seems that stop signs are the start point for a debate for a lot of drivers. We live in a society where we have all sorts of freedom and liberties, but relatively few responsibilities. Our military is supposed to reflect society and perhaps that is the issue that most disturbs me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back