• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Western Canada Reserve Military Police Questions

ResMP

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just want to get the word out that 1 Military Police Regiment is recruiting Reserve Members immediately. The Military Police Reserve offers a flexible and unique employment opportunity for Law Enforcement minded people.

We employ current and retired police officers, students in High School and University, private business owners, as well as those who work in the private sector. Our ranks consist of a very diverse group of people who are attracted to policing and life in the Military. There are opportunities for full time employment domestically as well as abroad. Many of our members have deployed internationally, and a majority of our ranks have served in Afghanistan. The Reserve Military Police offers significant opportunities for those who want more from a part time job. Many of our members have been able to use their employment with the MP Reserve to garner life experience and financial resources to bolster their applications for other Law Enforcement opportunities.

Our recently revised qualifications are:

1. 18 yrs of Age
2. Enrolled in Grade 12
3. Drives Licence
4. Good Character and morale attributes

Officer candidates are required to be enrolled in a University Degree Program at the time of application as well as meeting the noted qualifications.

I invite any questions or comments. Also I would ask that if you know anyone that may be interested in joining the Military Police as a Reservist to visit this thread or to email me directly: jason.forbes@forces.gc.ca

Looking forward to hearing from you!
ResMP
Rookie Member

You may want to consider revising this recruitment thread a little more ResMP.  1 MP Regt has many sub-units in all areas of Western Canada... perhaps you should  list where and what units are accepting applications.

15 Military Police Company - CFB Edmonton
12 Military Police Platoon  - Victoria, BC
13 Military Police Platoon  - Winnipeg, MB
14 Military Police Platoon  - Calgary, AB

If I've missed any I apologize in advance. I'm on the reg force side, and have only really worked with res MP's in the field.

Thanks for the post and great point! However, I do not want to discourage anyone in Western Canada from applying. We have many members that live out of the regions that you outlined and travel when required. You would be surprised at how dedicated our reserve members are. There are many that live as far as a two hour drive and commute regularly. In fact I just got off the phone with a potential applicant from Ontario who is considering moving West.

If out of town reserve members are willing to sacrifice some driving time we will certainly accommodate them as best we can.

**** and we have a Pl in Vancouver!!!!!!!!  :nod: ********

12 Platoon is split between Victoria and Vancouver.

There use to be a guy parading in Winnipeg who was out of Saskatchewan somewhere. Richmond/Vancouver has at least 2 members coming from Abbotsford/Chilliwack, over an hour away.

Hell, I commuted from the Bahamas a couple years ago. If you are committed, we can likely accommodate you.

NinerSix said:
Hell, I commuted from the Bahamas a couple years ago. If you are committed, we can likely accommodate you.

I'l bite- what were the circumstances there? Sounds like a hassle I'd love to have.  ;D

Brihard said:
I'l bite- what were the circumstances there? Sounds like a hassle I'd love to have.  ;D

Civi employer is building the expansion of the Nassau airport. (LPIA) I took the contract to go down there on condition they arrange for extra flights home so I could avoid going NES. Ended up spending 8 great months down there. Sadly I had to walk away from the gig.

ResMP said:
Brihard ... are you stalking me? ;)

Heh, nothing of the sort. I just happen to be on both sites.

NinertSix- decent of them to do that for you.

The Application Process should look like this:

1. Move through the general military recruiting process. Make your intent clear that you are applying for the Reserve Military Police.

2. Your application is forwarded to 1 MP Regt (for Western Applicants)

3. Take part in the Military Police Assessment Center

4. Successful MPAC candidates will be sworn in.

5. Commence Basic Training, then driver training, and then Military Police Qualification Training.

6. At this point you are eligible to conduct MP related duties

7. Continue taking courses with a view to advance your career and garner other opportunities (Close Protection, Promotion, Tours etc.)

It is our intent to have members that apply now to be qualified MPs by 1 Sept 2013. This is dependent on the applicants personal circumstances as well the opportunity to take the required courses. If you are serious about applying I suggest you do so sooner than later so as set your self up for success.

As I mentioned earlier, like any other agency you may want to work for, or you presently work for, what you put in, is what you get out. Period.

1 MP Regt is somewhat flexible in that we know our members have other commitments. We ask that you parade at least once a month. Those that parade more will gain more exposure to training and subsequently become more proficient.

I have been in the Reserve Military Police for 21 years. I have never seen more opportunity for our members as there is right now. Reserve Military Police members are now commanded by the Regular Force. This allows for access to training, mentorship, taskings and tours. We truly do work together. While there is still some separation with respect to training and assigned roles, it narrows every year.

Pretty informative post ResMP.

ResMP said:
<Snip>
Reserve Military Police members are now commanded by the Regular Force.
<Snip>

Yeah, and for some strange reason 1 MP Pl (reg force field pl) falls under 15 MP Coy (Reserve)  First time I've ever seen that...

ResMP said:
Our recently revised qualifications are:

1. 18 yrs of Age
2. Enrolled in Grade 12
3. Drives Licence
4. Good Character and morale attributes

Is there not a requirement to have the 2 year Police Foundations or a similar 2 year Law and Security diploma before applying?

From the forces.ca website --->  http://www.forces.ca/en/job/militarypolice-75#info-1  (The minimum academic requirement is a community college diploma in Law and Security Administration, Police Foundations, or a similar program from a recognised Community College or CEGEP. Related employment experience will also be considered in determining education equivalency.)

DAA said:
Is there not a requirement to have the 2 year Police Foundations or a similar 2 year Law and Security diploma before applying?

From the forces.ca website --->  http://www.forces.ca/en/job/militarypolice-75#info-1  (The minimum academic requirement is a community college diploma in Law and Security Administration, Police Foundations, or a similar program from a recognised Community College or CEGEP. Related employment experience will also be considered in determining education equivalency.)

The Forces website details the recruiting standard for reg force, not for the reserve. The reserve entrance requirements are as ResMP detailed.

DAA said:

The Branch has changed the requirements so as to garner more recruits. We need reservists!

It may not be advertised, but my chain of command has directed to start recruiting using the aforementioned guidelines.

Thanks for clarifying the education standards as it now makes alot more sense!!!

I have been fielding a lot of questions in relation to what type of duties Reserve Miliatry Police typically conduct.

While duties that you could be assigned could be all over the board, here is what you can typically expect:

Once you pass your MPAC and are sworn in we will need to get you qualified. This will be a process in itself. Basic Trg, Driver Trg, and Basic Trade Trg. If things go well, you may be MP Qualified by this time next year. This trg can be fun if you approach it the right way. Typicaly once you are MP Qualified you will take part in a trg cycle which lasts throughout the year. It is during these annual trg cycles that you may be offered full time employment on a contractual basis. Duties that you may be offered could look like this:

1. Tour Overseas
2. Administrative positon with the Coy or the Platoon
3. Position with the Regular Force Field Platoon
4, Operational Tasking (In the past this has included MP support to events that the CF was involved in ie Olympics, Floods, Forest Fires etc)
5. Major training events throughout Western Canada and sometimes in the USA.
6 Our Close Protection Qualified reservists have supported operations across the country as well as abroad.
7. Regular Force MP Trg
9. Training positions with a variety of Training Cadres (We do have some Res MPs assigned to a variety of Battle Schools)
8. Policing Duties (Reservists are occassionaly requested to assist with policing duties under the supervision of the regular force)

While our forces were involved with Combat Operations in Afghanistan our Reservists were deployed domestically in a variety of positions to assist with the draw on man power.

Generally operational duties are security related in nature.

Many Res MPs have decided they like Military life and transfer over to the Regular side. (The Regular Force Military Police certainly offers even more diversity than the reserve side if that is what you are looking for)

We ask that you parade at least once a month. We appreciate that our members have families, jobs, education etc to attend to and we will work with you in order to meet you attendence requirements.

I hope this helps.

Questions to me!

Don't forget MATA/PATA backfills.  Depending where the Res Pl is based, it is possible to serve not only with CA MP Gp units but also with RCAF MP Gp or Naval MP Gp units on this basis.  If the member attains the ability to be appointed MP pursuant to Sec 156 of the NDA, this could entail employment in a Police Operations position with the same duties and responsiblities as a Reg Force MP.

garb811

Thank you for pointing this out. There is a misconception that Reserve Military Police do not conduct policing duties. The reality is that we do! It generally occurs under the supervision of a Regular Force member but it occurs. I worked my summers while in University (Paying my way through school) working as a Garrison MP - 5 days on 5 Days off. Not only did I have a great job for the summer I had significant time off to conduct activities that University students like to take part in.  ;)

One of our Reserve members was assigned as a Shift i/c in Afghanistan.

Res MPs generally do not conduct serious investigations but they may be able to take part in these endeavors providing significant life experience for those wishing to move on to Reg Force MP or Civilian Policing.

During my stints in Garrison Policing, I took part in Search Warrants, Investigations involving sexual assaults, serious assaults, a variety of property crimes, High Risk Vehicle stops etc. It was a fantastic experience.

This said, When you graduate from your Military Police Training you will not be immediately issued a badge, gun, and shiny white police car ... but if you put some time in those opportunities typically arise.

Hi,

I have had a couple of questions regarding the duties and responsibilities of a Commissioned Officer. This explanation may not be required on this forum but I will post for those non-military who may be looking. I can best explain it like this:

MPOs do act in much more of a managerial role than the NCMs. While they do have their feet on the ground they typically do not have a hands on role when it comes to MP Operations. They are behind the scenes in that they are like the conductor of an orchestra. While Commissioned MP Officers do deploy to areas of operation, they are usually standing on the sidelines not unlike a foot ball coach.

The best way I can describe the MP Officer relationship is to that of building a house.

A senior Military Officer (Non MP - this may be a General or Colonel)  decides he wants the MP Unit that comes under his umbrella to build a house (in reality this would be a specific MP Task). He says he wants a modest Bungalow with one bedroom up and two down. He will give his MP a general understanding of what he wants.

The commanding officer of the MP Unit (or sub unit) will take this information a begin making plans. He in essence is acting like the architect. He makes the plans, he decides the floor plans and what material will be used etc. The CO of the MP Unit will likely give most of the finer details to one of the junior commissioned officer under his command to look after. Here a Platoon Commander will start to decide, counter tops, location of the house, the size of the garage etc.

Once this stage is complete, orders/blueprints outlining the details are given to the Senior Non Commissioned Officers - These are the guys who have worked their way up the Junior Ranks and are somewhat seasoned - The act as the foreman of the construction company. These guys direct the junior ranks, based on the blue prints devised by the Officer Cadre as to how to go about building the house. If a window is put in the wrong place it is ultimately the fault of the SNCO because he/she is supposed to be overseeing the all the little details of the operation.

MCpls, Generally ensure that the fellas are doing what they were told to do. They ensure the troops have the building materials they need and that they get the required coffee/lunch breaks.

Pte/Cpl are hammering nails, doing the framing, drywall, plumbing etc.

This said, Cpls in the MP world do most of the day to day Military Police activities. Officers manage the ranks. Yes they are issued with a badge (Badges will only be issued to those with the Regular Force Qualification) and may carry a side arm but much of their day is spent coordinating the activities that are to occur - not unlike the county sheriff or chief of police.

There is a program in which Reserve Military Police Officers have the opportunity to conduct equivalency training to meet Regular Force Standards.

I hope this helps

For those in the Edmonton area. The reserve MP Platoon is hosting an information session on the 3rd of October. E-mail me at jason.forbes@forces.gc.ca for more details.

Back