• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Site Administration Welcome to the new Army.ca!

Pertains to site upgrades, performance, and general operation
If it was your "umm....what?" I put an explanation in your post as to why you (and I ) were saying that. HB edited it and it left you hanging....we are just learning what tools we have to relearn and/or learn to not have.
Cheers Bruce.

The “Guest” issue is fixed, I believe.
I’ll add more emojis as time permits.
MilPoints... may be gone for good. Open to feedback on all of the above!
So far looks good. Waiting for my name change as I haven’t used this handle in a few years. I was never a fan of milpoints. I gave out a bunch but rarely if ever deducted. Seemed like it caused more conflict than anything else.

So far just figuring things out and trying not to break anything.

We all know how military members loooove change ;-)

In all seriousness I've taken a few hours to get familiar with the new set-up; I'm still learning my way but overall it looks great.

Before the change I often went to the main site (Army.ca vs the forums page) where you could see the most recent threads (10 or so) site-wide, I found it useful to see what was trending without having to access every sub forum.

I'm having a difficult time reading the posts now because of the number and size of the ads popping up on my screen. Just now, I opened 'British Military Current Events' and three different ads popped up completely obscuring the thread. You can't close these ads either. I'm using a laptop and normally the ads take up 50% of the screen space, now they're taking up all of it. I'm thinking the ads have gone a bit overboard.

Cheers,
Dan.

I second those sentiments on adds. Whenever I enter a thread the first thing that appears in an add that covers the entire screen. That one deletes but from then on there is an add occupying the top half that won't go away. Only five or six lines of text is visible below the add.

Hmm...I thought Mike disabled ads until he worked out a solution.???

I've just made another change... could make it better, could make it worse. Feedback?

I've just made another change... could make it better, could make it worse. Feedback?
Not great, Mike. I have ads interspersed throughout my page, using up perhaps 1/3 of the available screen. The ads cut through posts on a seemingly random basis, making it hard to read.

Has anyone tried an adblocker with their browser? I don't see any cause I am a subscriber.....

An ad blocker should work, but won't be available for mobile users (which are an increasingly high proportion of our users).

For now, I've relegated ads to unregistered users: Log in, no ads.

I'll see how that plays for a bit while I try to work out the issue with the ad placement.

Michael,

Just logged back in and no ads. Thanks for the help.

Dan.

Thanks Malcolm, I think it's a problem with the Google Adsense code... previously I had been using Display Ads, and it worked pretty well. Automatically inserted a few ads here and there. With XenForo, it seems to have gone nuts, inserting ads all over the place and consuming nearly all viewable space on mobile devices.

Barring a solution that uses Display Ads (my preference), I will have to manually construct and place individual ads around the boards.

Thanks Malcolm, I think it's a problem with the Google Adsense code... previously I had been using Display Ads, and it worked pretty well. Automatically inserted a few ads here and there. With XenForo, it seems to have gone nuts, inserting ads all over the place and consuming nearly all viewable space on mobile devices.

Barring a solution that uses Display Ads (my preference), I will have to manually construct and place individual ads around the boards.
The automated ads featured doesn't really work well with XenForo. I'd recommend just using the basic responsive ads feature. I had similar problems across my XenForo sites.

Is it possible with this new software to have the date/time indicated when quoting a previous post, in the same manner as before? While following some of the threads there were a few times when the quoted posts were several months old, but the comments could have been taken as pertaining to events happening today. While clicking on the quoted post to see where they got that information clarified matters, if I had been aware that it was from months before, I would have just ignored it as not necessarily pertinent to the current discussion.

Back