• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing of non recognized medals in EMS

The Canadian government can't be bothered, in the vast majority of cases, to prosecute offences contrary to our Honours and Awards.

If serving, follow the rules.

If you're not serving, do what you want, but be ready to explain yourself should someone notice and take issue.
There’s nothing enforceable. The only thing enforceable is misrepresenting yourself with service and decorations.

Personally, I think that the vast majority of folks wearing their assortment of national, provincial, local awards together are not trying to pose a 'bling heroes', just saying that there are, in fact, rules that govern the use of national honours.

Is there a 'medals police' roaming the streets verifying medals racks?...no and certainly nobody would ever enforce the rules, however, just stating that we do have a national Honours System.

(Guessing this isn't a problem anymore! hah!)

May still be for some. :)

Go gatekeep elsewhere.

Ottawa sent me an ESM, with a 30-year Bar, after 33 years running 9-1-1 calls full-time in Canada's largest city.

It was a kind, and thoughful gesture from Ottawa.

Never wore it during the two years I had left, because I didn't work for Ottawa.

For street-level muni guys on emergency Operations, the lower left sleeve displayed one cloth insignia for every five years of completed full-time service on the department. Not previous, or part-time, employers.

As far as sentimental bling, even after 15 years of retirement, that would still be my engraved quarter-century gold watch and lapel pin and ring from Metro.

Edit to add,

Booter said,

The city of Toronto owns the uniform they can say they want their members to wear their decorations how they’d like.

America's largest city, New York, restricts their police officers, firefighters and paramedics to wearing ONLY medals, ribbons, citations etc. awarded by the City on their departmental uniforms.

ie: Non-departmental medals, ribbons etc. from other agencies ( eg: military ) are not worn on departmental uniforms.

Back