• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Wearing an Ancestor's Medals Mega-thread

Jonny Boy

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just wondering, I think cadets used to be allowed. I personally don't thing it would be a good idea because you did not personally earn them and it is glorifying the war. well that is why my papa never wore his after the war because he was not proud of them and they reminded him of what he had to do.

Anyway, just wondering because I have like 16 at home from 3 of my family members. If I were to get all of them, it would be impossible to wear them. lol

Moderator edit: Punctuation and capital letters, along with proper spelling is your friend.
~Burrows

-Hutch- said:
i was just wondering i think cadets used to be allowed. i personally don't thing it would be a good idea because you did not personally earn them and it is glorifying the war. well that is why my papa never wore his after the war because he was not proud of them and they reminded him of what he had to do.

anyway just wondering i have like 16 at home from 3 of my family members if i were to get all of them it would be impossible to wear them lol

I don't think cadets should be allowed to wear family member's medals but if they were, how would that be glorifying the war.  Wasn't our participation in both wars a noble enterprise ?  Did canadians not volunteer in mass to defeat an evil and terible thing ?

NO!!!!!! You did not earn them, why the hell should you be allowed to wear them???? Fact is, you shouldn't! You didn't do anything to deserve them!

I can't get to the CATO's currently, but if I remeber correctly there's a list of approved medals.

Nobody should wear others medals, they are about[or should be] so much more than show.

Yes. On Rememberance Day only, on the right side.

Infact this is strongly encouraged for all family members to do so here on ANZAC Day, as soon the old Diggers will all be gone. My spouse wears her Fathers, and is so proud of his RAAF service fighting off the Japs in Darwin.

This is refered to passing the torch of the ANZACs. Here is the front page of the ANZAC Day addition news paper April 2004.

There is nothing disrespectful about it all all, infact its called respect and pride.

Cheers,

Wes

Quote,
Ther is nothing disrespectful about it all all, infact its called pride.

...Wes, though I get where you are coming from I don't need to stick Dad's medals on my chest to show others that I'm proud of what he did,...........its the only place I need it to be..deep inside of everything that I am. :salute:

-Hutch- said:
it is glorifying the war.

Come on Hutch, far from it!

Thats okay Bruce, but they see things different here, and thats why only one day a year its allowed. Infact the whole view Australians have towards their Vets and the Military in general   is totally enlightening here, and in my view a 180 degree difference from Canada.

Cheers,

Wes

Good catch, Wes, totally skipped that sentence.......and I guess Remembarence Day ceromonies do the same thing  eh, Hutch? ::)

In Canada, the wearing of medals contravenes provisions set forth by the Criminal Code of Canada. So whether it should be allowed or not is irelevant, as at least in Canada, it is illegal. That said, it gives me a measure of pride to display my grandfather's medals proudly in my room, despite the fact I cannot wear them. I feel that on Remembrance day, at very least, it should be permitted.

Big Foot said:
In Canada, the wearing of medals contravenes provisions set forth by the Criminal Code of Canada. That said, it gives me a measure of pride to display my grandfather's medals proudly in my room

Canada should ammend their CC.

Pride. Now thats what I want to hear. Good on ya! :salute:

Wes

This is a very interesting topic and I've heard it debated many times.  My understanding is that it is illegal in Canada to wear someone else's war medals even if it's your Dad, Grandfather etc.  However, the president of the local Airborne Asso ,a very good friend of mine, reads the same thing and interperts it that it is legal if you wear them on the opposite side.

Will Byrd, who wrote the WW I classic, "Ghosts Have Warm Hands" said in his book that it is your duty to wear them (on the opposite side) on Nov 11 ONLY.

I wore my Dad's on my RCL Blazer after my Dad passed away on the next Nov 11.  I discontinued it after as to not cause any controversy.  One of my grandsons ( age 5) wore his great'grandfather's on last Nov 11.

Evidently it is legal in Australia and very much encouraged.  I had some friends over here from Aus and they were 'shocked' that Canadians didn't follow that as well and they blamed it some outdated rule forced on us by the POMIES!  Their rationale was, " what better way to commemorate what your ancestors did for their country".  

I agree with the Australian viewpoint.  They are more nationalistic than we are, as a rule ,and more inclined to do their own thing! :salute:

Again, its got nothing to do with the pride I feel about my father, the way I would see it is that I'm trying to show others and I don't need to show others what I feel.
And on top of that I think you would see lots sporting them just for the "look" effect and that would really cheese me off.

I checked into whether I would be allowed to wear my grandfather's medals on my uniform at the remembrance day ceremony in Ottawa this past November 11 and was told that unfortunately, it is not permitted, although I know of many other people who would proudly wear medals of their ancestors on the right side of their scarlets. To look to the future, we must first look at where we came from. What better way to do that than to look at service in previous wars. It is not glorifying war, it is honouring the memory of those who have gone before us, and I think that we should be able to have visible reminders of where we came from. With the thinning ranks of veterans, we must eventually allow relatives of veterans to wear the medals, else we run the risk of forgetting what terrible events we fought through. As it is said on November 11, Lest We Forget. The key to not forgetting is showing pride in our past, even if it is a violent, brutal past of war. We must always remember otherwise we will repeat past mistakes. Have pride, this is an issue I feel should be brought to local MPs in an effort to change the way things are. Complaining will do nothing if it is not directed through the proper channels. Law makers will take notice if enough people ask for change.

I just want to know where to get my dad's WWII medals plated,and remounted.Not that I want to,or would wear them,I just want to frame them and put them on the wall next to his service photo(RCAF).

Regardless of the Belief or CATO(s), (which by the way you will not find any mention of it).  It is illegal under the CCC to wear any persons medals for which YOU did not earn.  Just as it is illegal to SELL any medal that YOU have earned.  Is it unfair to people that just want to show pride in what their famaily members accomplished, maybe.  However, it's probably more unfair, and disrepectful for some person to wear medals they don't earn.  There are to many people out there who think they'rer cool by wearing medals.  Most people don't even know what the medal is or represents.  The one that really comes to mind is the German Iron Cross.  It has come to be associated with Nazi Germany (1933-45), when in fact is a German Valour Medal.  Would you like someone purchasing a medal and just wearing it, how do you prove he bought it, how do you prove it was not awarded to is great uncle twice removed?

The best way to perserve memories this way is to get them framed and mounted on a wall.  This is what I did with my late fathers UNCyp w/bar, UNEF1, UNEF2, Canadian Peacekeeping Medal, Queens Julibee and CD. It's your safest bet.

gunner56 said:
I just want to know where to get my dad's WWII medals plated,and remounted.Not that I want to,or would wear them,I just want to frame them and put them on the wall next to his service photo(RCAF).

Great Idea.  Try going to a Photography Shop.  Generally they have prices for framing and mounting.  You might be able to get replacement ribbons for the medals from ASU.  After 60 yrs the ribbons may be worn and tattered. ASU should have the ribbons.

aesop081 said:
I don't think cadets should be allowed to wear family member's medals but if they were, how would that be glorifying the war.  Wasn't our participation in both wars a noble enterprise ?  Did Canadians not volunteer in mass to defeat an evil and terrible thing ?

my papa was in the British royal navy. my mom always told me that after the war he got 6 medals and he never put them on once.  from what i heard he was and was not proud of what he did. when it comes to the fighting and having his best friends die right beside him on a life raft in the middle of the Indian ocean after his ship was sunk i really dint think he wanted to be reminded. i guess when he saw the medals it reminded him of those times. they did participate in defeating a very evil person but i guess you would have to go through what he went through to truly understand.

Bruce Monkhouse said:
Good catch, Wes, totally skipped that sentence.......and I guess Remembrance Day ceremonies do the same thing eh, Hutch? ::)

OK i said glorify for lack of better words and i apologize. it is not glorifying but it is a memories of war to some people. and to some people they are bad memories.

and Bruce i would never in my life time say that remembrance day is glorifying war and i am severely insulted as a Canadian that you would say such a thing. i am very proud of all the veterans that fought and died and i will always remember them everyday of the year. one day is not enough. plus the history channel is my favorite station i am very interested in all the documentaries

-Hutch- said:
OK i said glorify for lack of better words and i apologize. it is not glorifying but it is a memories of war to some people. and to some people they are bad memories.

and Bruce i would never in my life time say that remembrance day is glorifying war and i am severely insulted as a Canadian that you would say such a thing. i am very proud of all the veterans that fought and died and i will always remember them everyday of the year. one day is not enough. plus the history channel is my favorite station i am very interested in all the documentaries

Ok then, i can accept that.

33 posts and verbal warning already ?  You and armyboi69 know eachother ?.....lol

Wesley H. Allen said:
Yes. On Rememberance Day only, on the right side.

Infact this is strongly encouraged for all family members to do so here on ANZAC Day, as soon the old Diggers will all be gone. My spouse wears her Fathers, and is so proud of his RAAF service fighting off the Japs in Darwin.

Cheers,

Wes
This used to be permitted in Canada also, but is no longer considered acceptable, for good or for bad.

Back