• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Waterproofing equipment

BDTyre

Reaction score
Some of my initial issue kit is brand new, some is slightly used.  Regardless, is it advisable to apply a coat of waterproof spray to any containers or outerwear (i.e., bivy bag, valise, ruck, shelter half, duffel, etc.)?

Valise and inside of ruck: garbage bags.

shelter half is waterproof, same with bivy bag (well mostly). A spray isn't going to do very much, just wrap everything up with some gun tape - jk

Those valise and ruck inserts from Wheeler's worth the money?  Or will garbage bags do just as well?

Garbage bags work great, just get the extra strong ones, and you won't need to waste your money on any wheelers products.

You can spray the valise, might not be 100% waterproof, but it's a preventitive thing. DO NOT spray the Bivvy bag, it is already waterproof, it will only leak from holes.

I bought the Wheelers ruck bag and it is not waterproof even after being sprayed. I used garbage bags but after a bit they tear.

So now I use them both in combination with each other.

For the valice I just keep my sleeping bag inside my bivy bag.

Gortex is supposed to be waterproof however if you get used stuff, or it gets dirty or worn it is no longer that good.

I carry a waterproof spray that is made for gortex clothes and boots, which still allows it to breathe unlike other sprays.

Let me know if I can be of service.

Farmboy said:
I bought the Wheelers ruck bag and it is not waterproof even after being sprayed. I used garbage bags but after a bit they tear.

Garbage bags are good and they are cheap.  They will last forever....just make sure that you use the Heavy Duty ones.  Another good bag, for the inside of the valise, is the 'Shitter Bags' from the Thunder Boxes; if you don't mind an Orange bag inside you valise or ruck.  Sometimes you can find a clear plastic bag, that some of your kit may have been issued in, that is of a heavy grade plastic, and use it.  By using these means you can throw your ruck and valise into the wash and clean it, and then not have to worry about some expensive Silicone spray to water proof it. 

i use elephant sacks that i get in the us , they are rubberized bags that fit into the ruck bag or the valise . they look like a valise without the strings on the side or failing that the hd clear plastic bag your equipment comes in when it brand new ,mines lasted years with only a small application of gun tape

If your playing amphi or do a lot of water ops (not really in the conventional CF system anymore) Get a dry bag
Either from USIA or others

www.usia.com  - I'm at work and it does nto appear to come up on the DIN - but they do have a website and arew good guy - half run by a few EX USN SEALs and half by one of the guys sisters (very HOT) and her (VERY HOT) friends (they have the beauty and brains for the business side) whiel the others design and test

another option http://www.amronintl.com/tactical/products.cfm?id=729

Both of the dry bags with zips for rucks are in the $300+ USD ballpack for if your not doing it day in day out I would not bother.

For just plain waterproofness
The "elephant" bags - the US Army green rubberized bags are much better than Garbage bags - they are issues to the Light (or where) Bn's

George Wallace said:
Garbage bags are good and they are cheap.  They will last forever....just make sure that you use the Heavy Duty ones.  Another good bag, for the inside of the valise, is the 'Shitter Bags' from the Thunder Boxes; if you don't mind an Orange bag inside you valise or ruck.  Sometimes you can find a clear plastic bag, that some of your kit may have been issued in, that is of a heavy grade plastic, and use it.  By using these means you can throw your ruck and valise into the wash and clean it, and then not have to worry about some expensive Silicone spray to water proof it. 

i'll probably just use garbage bags, but I'm not too worried about silicone spray.  My father sells motorcycles and accessories, including clothing, so he tends to have a good supply of silicone spray for his own use that I'm always welcome to use.

I'll also put a word in for both the heavy duty 'contractor' strength garbage bags as a ruckliner or, when your unit eventually goes down to Ft. Lewis or Yakima for a training ex., hit up the clothing/equipment sales at the PX and get yourself a new US waterproof ruck liner.  Just make sure that you check it for any holes/punctures before you buy it.

For waterproofing your sleeping bag, I'd advise that you pack it inside your bivi bag and get an Outdoor Research Hydroseal Stuff Sack from MEC.
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=677943&PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=833041&bmUID=1118172378716
The #3 should work fine for a single sleeping bag and bivi bag.  The #4 would work for the complete bag (inner, outer) and bivi.  Once packed in the stuff sack, just put it inside your valise, strap it to the ruck and you're golden.

BDTyre said:
i'll probably just use garbage bags, but I'm not too worried about silicone spray.   My father sells motorcycles and accessories, including clothing, so he tends to have a good supply of silicone spray for his own use that I'm always welcome to use.

You may find that the silicone spray will affect the way that your clothes and kit 'breaths'.    Once we tried siliconing our old combat jackets.   The effect was that it kept all the sweat in and we would get as wet as if we had been in the rain - rain or shine, and it really didn't do much to smell like a gym locker after a couple of days... ;D

No. Sno-seal is actually beneficial to leather footwear. Full of bees wax and mink oil and all that natural crap. The trick is to not use it excessively, or your kiwi won't shine.

Kat

You may find that the silicone spray will affect the way that your clothes and kit 'breaths'. 

This is a problem with most sprays on the market, for you jackets, pants and boots etc. spraying them with silicone and such will seal them shut, not letting water in or perspiration out, resulting in sweating and over heating.

This is OK for the regular combat boots but not the Gor-Tex.

There is stuff on the market made for Gor-tex that you can wash in, spray on or apply.

Back