• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Was it worth it?

Scott1867

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello all,

Would any of you say that the life you gave up to join the Forces was worth it?  Did it fill that void you had in civilian life or would you rather hand in your fatigues knowing what you know now?  I ask this because I am seriously contemplating sacrificing the life I have in Alberta's Oil Sands making $100K+.  I've come to realize that the money I make just enables more soul-crushing consumerism.  Consumerism which serves as a distraction from what I truly desire i.e. purpose and brotherhood.  I started out as a labourer and now four years later I have an office.  The success I've had should make me feel good but it doesn't.  It's all too corporate and fake.  If anyone could help me out with some insight it would be appreciated.

Best,

Scott

My neighbor ( neighbour ) quit to join the  rcmp.  He became tired of not knowing what he was doing,and forever being out of the loop.

I do not know if things are better or worse for him...likely better.

I've come to realize that the money I make just enables more soul-crushing consumerism

Find your passion.
Start your own business ....

If purpose and brotherhood is what you're looking for, yes it's here if you seek it and work hard for it. Judging by your success, I'd say you have the motivation to achieve those things in the Forces, you'll just have to be willing to put in the time before you get there. There is a lot of nonsense you'll have to come to accept, we've got room to improve in some areas, but sometimes there's a method to the stupidity. Be wise with what direction you pick, I would suggest something that puts you in a position of responsibility early on so you don't feel like you're wasting your potential.

I don't think you need to look at this as all or nothing. 

Some people sign up, do some time, decide that's enough, then carry on to do something else (or what they did before joining up).

I spent 12 years in uniform.  I am very pleased that I did that.  But after 12 years (and one war) I was ready for something else.  I couldn't see doing what I was doing for my entire life. 

Recognize that if you join up, you start at the beginning.  If you decide to leave, you will likely go back to your old job (about) where you were you left.

Back