• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Virtual Ship tour/familiarization

Tyson Fox

Inactive
Reaction score
http://www.navy.gc.ca/ELEARNING/CVNF.ASP

You have to install that unity thing, but it ain't a bad program when it loads. If you know your way around a frigate, it's exactly the same, except some places appear to be censored, because the CCR is just an empty room. You can walk onto the jetty and take a look at Halifax harbour. It doesn't let you go much farther though. It makes me miss the virtual RHIB simulator, when we found out that if you drive your RHIB onto the land, the bowsmen can get out and walk around Vancouver Harbour, shooting at each other,  because the game was just a mod of Armoured assault 2, I believe.

Shipwreck said:
If you know your way around a frigate, it's exactly the same, except some places appear to be censored, because the CCR is just an empty room.

Might have something to do with that "Restricted Area" sign on the door, perhaps?  You weren't really expecting it to show the layout of all the communications and cryptographic equipment, were you? 

Occam said:
Might have something to do with that "Restricted Area" sign on the door, perhaps?  You weren't really expecting it to show the layout of all the communications and cryptographic equipment, were you?

Well, I suppose knowing where on a ship the communications are could be damaging, but when you have a detailed ship such as this one and then there's some strangely empty rooms, you may as well be telling people there's something worthwhile in there. They could have programmed in some sprites of radios and desks.

There's nothing particularly sensitive about where the CCR is located, but it's a space that only 10% of the crew will ever see, so you could put virtual brass poles and a bar in the simulation and nobody would be any the wiser.  ;D

Reminds me of the Navy Recruiting Bus we drive around with the Press Gang.

The layout of the CCR isn't classified, but if you are at all curious as to what gear is in there have a look on the Google, you can find nearly everything online.

http://www.jproc.ca/crypto/menu.html

A pretty good list of past and present crypto systems.

Stacked said:
There's something like this for the Victoria Class as well,  it gives you "tasks" to do (shut certain valves, etc)
Found it pretty helpful actually.
It's from the same model and we are being asked to contribute what may enhance this as a training tool. Already thinking about presail preps, flash up routines etc. Chief Stoker: I've never seen an MCR with only a DCC console and a telephone...and nothing else!!! You think the MCR is clean, wander through one of the after messes...and that FER!

Wow, a great deal of work went into this.  Shame it's not post-FELEX, would be helpful.  Still, for the lubbers out there I'm sure they'll find it interesting.

jollyjacktar said:
Wow, a great deal of work went into this.  Shame it's not post-FELEX, would be helpful.  Still, for the lubbers out there I'm sure they'll find it interesting.
Actually that is exactly why many spaces are empty as they are currently photographing HAL, CAL etc.  Unfortunately, I have been unable to make this work from home-It is very slow to load and the minute I open a door or hatch, it freezes.

I couldn't get it to work at work.  There are some small glitches with the menu's.  It won't let me exit for example without losing everything and having to start from scratch.  Nevertheless, it's impressive and took no small effort to create.  Seeing as I'm a tanker wanker this will be great to use for famil runs on all the great HT stuff I need to get familiar with.  It's an almost perfect tool for me.

I found the Beer and Soft drink storeroom. Am I qualified? ;D

jollyjacktar said:

I checked out the CPF and it is now post FELEX.  I believe all of the changes are there.

It is pretty impressive.  I showed one of my coworkers and tried to man a .50 cal.  Really, I can't blame him.

Kingston Class is completed too. 

Has anyone been able to access this from home? (just curious)

cupper said:
I found the Beer and Soft drink storeroom. Am I qualified? ;D

All you need now are some virtual loonies.  I'll give you props if you can find the spirit locker and the keys that go with it. 

MeanJean said:
I checked out the CPF and it is now post FELEX.  I believe all of the changes are there.

Has anyone been able to access this from home? (just curious)

Not quite - 10 mess is still the old one, not split into 10 and 20 mess, and the JRs mess is the old layout. The new 'ensuite' for 9 mess is right, but the layout of the now reduced P2 washplace on 3 deck is wrong, including door location. The other faults are quite minor - MSE office layout is incorrect, battery rack still in the SHINCOM ER, and some of the graphics in the spaces (e.g., DG LCPs, LOPS) are pre-FELEX. Odd, that last, since they do have the IPMS consoles in the MCR and in the QM shack. No doubt these will be cleaned up as time goes on. And for some reason there's UPSs missing from the switchboards - not just the new UPSs that are part of FELEX, but the pre-existing ones. At least they've made them all the new ones instead of the old POS.

As far as accessing from home, I haven't tried yet. Thinking I'll email the URL to myself and give it a go this evening.

Jacky Tar said:
As far as accessing from home, I haven't tried yet. Thinking I'll email the URL to myself and give it a go this evening.

I'll try it too.  I wouldn't think that it would be public access but I got to the page where you have to load the unity player on my iphone.  I wanted to see if others could access it.  We'll find out soon enough.

It seems to be working on my home computer and I say seems because it has been 10 minutes and it is still downloading the CPF virtual tour.

I am very surprised that this is made public on the internet.

Back